Pro Wrestling Only

Best Makeovers

Tenese Sarwieh

Scotty Flamingo/Johnny Polo to Raven....

Exchanging the neon tights and the jean jacket for jean shorts, tattoos, and a leather jacket took a lower midcard joke and turned him into one of my favorite acts of the 90's, a multiple time world champion, and a guy copied by everyone that joined an e-fed from 1997 to 2002!

12 minutes ago, sek69 said:

The Sandman going from a dork in a wetsuit to a guy in a T-shirt and Zubaz pants ended up creating one of the most iconic characters in a promotion that tended to generate a lot of those. 

I was about to post that one.

Well, Dustin Rhodes, Natural cow-boy to "androgynous" movie buff freak dressed as an Academy Award statue.

5 minutes ago, El-P said:

I was about to post that one.

Well, Dustin Rhodes, Natural cow-boy to "androgynous" movie buff freak dressed as an Academy Award statue.

Plus he's gone full circle with his AEW gimmick of basically going back to the Natural with faux-Goldust facepaint. 

Speaking of, Cody going from little-brother-cosplaying-big-brother to suit-wearing-company-Exec was a pretty big one. No one would have suspected Stardust would end up changing the game like this.

ECW had quite a few good makeovers.  Sandman and Raven already mentioned, but Tommy Dreamer was a great one, too.  Went from pseudo-male stripper in sparkly suspenders to "Hardcore" Icon.  

Leon "Baby Bull" White into Vader is a huge one, although I kinda love the nickname "Baby Bull".

Probably the most dramatic makeover of a big star was Sting's and both the look and the angle behind it captured the imagination and for me still does. Got over big enough to pop the biggest WCW buyrate and also gave him a look he could carry on for the rest of his career without looking as dumb as the more colourful attire would have as he aged.

Ever see La Parka before he got the Parka gimmick?
Principe Island/Super Angel v. Climax/Master
Astro Boy & Guerrero Samurai vs. Los Invasores Del Norte
A talented wrestler to be sure, but nothing in those two videos would make you think he had it in him to become one of the most charismatic workers of the past 25+ years.
(This comes with a couple of caveats: he was never an EMLL regular, so maybe he had more connection with the Monterrey crowds, and that second video is just a few brief highlights. For the record, he's the guy in the blue pants in the first one and the guy in the blue outfit and white boots in the second.)

Justin "Hawk" Bradshaw to Blackjack Bradshaw (hey, I loved that gimmick) and later APA Bradshaw.

APA Bradshaw with a shave and haircut that no longer fit the character to JBL.

Kama to The Godfather

Mark Henry to Sexual Chocolate

Sexual Chocolate to Hall of Pain

Rocker Shawn Michaels to HBK

Hunter Hearst Helmsley to Triple H

Mean Mark Callous to The Undertaker

Oz/Vinnie Vegas to Diesel

Diesel to Kevin Nash

Scott Hall to Diamond Studd

Diamond Studd to Razor Ramon

Razor Ramon to Scott Hall

48 minutes ago, C.S. said:

Justin "Hawk" Bradshaw to Blackjack Bradshaw (hey, I loved that gimmick) and later APA Bradshaw.

APA Bradshaw with a shave and haircut that no longer fit the character to JBL.

Kama to The Godfather

Mark Henry to Sexual Chocolate

Sexual Chocolate to Hall of Pain

Rocker Shawn Michaels to HBK

Hunter Hearst Helmsley to Triple H

Mean Mark Callous to The Undertaker

Oz/Vinnie Vegas to Diesel

Diesel to Kevin Nash

Scott Hall to Diamond Studd

Diamond Studd to Razor Ramon

Razor Ramon to Scott Hall

Solid list but WCW Nash and Hall were just Diesel and Razor using their real names more or less. 

27 minutes ago, sek69 said:

Solid list but WCW Nash and Hall were just Diesel and Razor using their real names more or less. 

I dunno. I felt nWo Nash was looser, more witty, etc. than Diesel, who was kind of stiff. 

Ditto for Hall, who no longer had to pretend to be Al Pacino in Scarface (an amazing gimmick, but not quite the same as nWo Hall).