Pro Wrestling Only

WWE TV June 17th - 23rd 2019

FMKK

Bryan vs Rollins is on for Raw, which should be good if they get some time. Bound to have a Corbin run-in though...

I also saw some rumour that they we're going to tinker with the Stomping Grounds card to pop some interest following poor ticket sales. The show is this Sunday. Depending on how big any changed would be, this would be by my count their third reset of the year so far.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read the same report, that the ticket sales are so lousy and the interest in Stomping Grounds is so low that they are considering making changes to the card.  The source on the story is WrestleVotes, so I am taking it with a grain of salt, but there is no denying that the venue hasn't sold out and last I heard there are actually still floor seats available, which is pretty crazy for a WWE PPV.

I have no doubt that there is no interest in the card.  That's what happens when you run more than one PPV in the same month, the PPV you already had is going down in history as one of the worst shows ever, and the matches on the next show are mostly rematches from the crappy show you already ran.  Duh.  Did they actually think that people were going to watch Stomping Grounds based solely on the fact that this time there is a Mystery Guest Referee angle in the Corbin/Rollins match?  I can't think of anybody they could get as the guest ref who would make that match any better.

WrestleVotes is pretty accurate on the reporting so I'm more inclined to believe that source than Ringside News, Slice Wrestling or Brad Shepard. But yeah, I don't blame fans for not rushing to get tickets for the show. It's bad enough we have to get a sustained Baron Corbin push in the main event (or worst, Shane McMahon overexposure), they need to shake things up in a big way. When the only thing to look forward to is Firefly Fun House, that's a problem. Speaking of which, apparently, we could see Bray Wyatt live tonight.

I'm not sure what they could change, but to me, its not even about what they change tonight - its about what they change on Sunday.

For example, I think it'd be a step in the right direction to somehow make the Universal Title match a 4-way: Rollins vs. Corbin vs. Reigns vs. McIntyre for the title. Nobody wants to see Corbin/Rollins and I don't think Reigns/McIntyre has much heat either. 

But making that match doesn't make things interesting in and of itself. What they'd need to then do is actually switch gears and, on Sunday, have something happen. Tease dissension between Rollins and Reigns (by having Reigns pin Corbin for the title), do a Brock cash-in, have Shane screw Rollins (when everyone thinks he's gonna screw Roman), just something

Giving Brock the briefcase was the first interesting thing to happen in the Universal Title scene since WrestleMania - and even that story is only really "title adjacent" because, until Brock cashes in, he's really just on the periphery. Meanwhile, Baron Corbin is the top contender.

Even in the heatless, completely dead WWE there are clearly guys who are at least somewhat over (Rollins and Reigns, for example). Have the guys who are somewhat over feud with each other and you at least have a feud that is somewhat over. But feuding Reigns with McIntyre? Rollins and Corbin? The audience knows this shit is a holding pattern and its not even a holding pattern that offers decent wrestling. 

33 minutes ago, DMJ said:

For example, I think it'd be a step in the right direction to somehow make the Universal Title match a 4-way: Rollins vs. Corbin vs. Reigns vs. McIntyre for the title. Nobody wants to see Corbin/Rollins and I don't think Reigns/McIntyre has much heat either. 

But making that match doesn't make things interesting in and of itself. What they'd need to then do is actually switch gears and, on Sunday, have something happen. Tease dissension between Rollins and Reigns (by having Reigns pin Corbin for the title), do a Brock cash-in, have Shane screw Rollins (when everyone thinks he's gonna screw Roman), just something.  

Man, even that match doesn't sound interesting, which you acknowledge.

Yes, something needs to happen, but even the scenarios you outlined all feel tired, which is a criticism of the product itself and not your thought process.

This is years of WWE shooting itself in the foot by not going with hot acts when they got over organically - Rusev Day, Fashion Police, Miz, NXT call-ups with fan goodwill, etc. Yes, they went with Becky and Kofi at WrestleMania - and overproduced both to the point of oblivion. Their post-Mania trajectories have all been uninteresting as hell (although I kinda like the Dolph "it should have been me" storyline, but not enough to get 2-3 matches out of it). 

A radical shift needs to happen, and that doesn't mean hotshotting one hot act into the main event. It means changing an absolutely abysmal product from top to bottom. It means revamping the stale format and presentation that has barely changed since 1999. It means doing many little things right again that they've seemingly forgotten how to do.  

1 hour ago, FMKK said:

At this point I'm almost willing to just say fuck it, they should put the belt on Shane. He's the only person on the weekly TV who's actually seen as and booked like a star.

I remember a month ago or so a few around here were saying Shane beats Kofi for the title and then Roman destroys Shane on the first Fox SD

I actually think there's a good chance that happens.  Only question is if they have Brock then immediately cash in on Roman

Wasn't Vince high on Andrade? If made a conscious effort to build him up coming on of that series of matches with Rey, they could've had him be a fresh challenger for Kofi in the Summer, they would've tore it down plus Andrade needs to be in a program that doesn't involve multi person matches every other week. Andrade as a serious threat to Roman would be good too. But like C.S. said there's no reason why they shouldn't have built up guys like Rusev he still remains over with the audience enough to where they still can. Say what you will about Wyatt's ring work as a singles but he's been given creative freedom and look at him but that's Raw. Even if they go back to Roman, what fresh heels does he have, he and Owen's was done already you can do he vs Bryan, but who else

Bryan being a part of the stupid fucking superplex no sell (because Seth has to do that fucking falcon arrow that means jackshit anyway because he's won 1 out of 200 matches with it) kinda pissed me off.

And then Seth trying to "pop back" his shoulder by hitting it hard against the ring post, only for him to get caught in the LeBell Lock, and having to no sell it to rush to his W was sooo Seth Rollins :lol:

In a way, nothing tells the decrepit state of the promotion today more than the fact that people have seemingly accepted a 49 year old Shane McMahon, who was always a special attraction who would do stupid ass narcissic stunts because he never had to actually work (like the "independent contractors" breaking their body on a daily basis) on the road and has always looked like complete shit as an actual worker, as a regular top-tier performer, borderline main-eventer. From a creative standpoint, they've already passed Dying WCW a long, long time ago

Jesus, he is only 49? I would have thought older the way he looks. 

Seth Rollins is just fucking terrible in this role. If it was anyone who wasn't a HHH project failing this hard, again, it would be over already. I have to hand it to Seth, few people have failed this badly as a heel and face champion. 

I was surprised by how much I enjoyed that Raw. It goes to show what can happen when you build the show around simple storylines like Rollins hunting down anyone who dares to screw him out of the championship and the Shane McMahon VIP segment. Nothing ground-breaking, but it got guys on television doing something other than standing in a crowd or having lame duck matches. I even enjoyed the Good Brothers/Usos and Iiconics/Cross & Bliss matches for what they were. Just by adding some sort of storyline to the matches, they took what would have just been a time waster and made something of it.

If the WWE can approach the post-Stomping Grounds show with the same gusto, they could put together some good television in the lead up to SummerSlam. They just need to course correct on a few things.

I'll never say no to a Seth Rollins-Daniel Bryan match. I would have liked to have seen more Bryan on top, but they're hell-bent on making Rollins look strong and I thought he came across well.

They should put Seth back in the IC division. He kind of thrived there. Push Andrade & Rusev to the main event & try something new. Get the titles off of Kofi & Seth 'cause they don't work as top guys. Tried it, it didn't work. Get out. 

Bryan is good. Brock even though he's only around part time is at least interesting when he shows up because you never know what is going to happen. Roman needs more work because he's just kind of there right now. They should try to salvage Braun again just to try to make him a monster to be toppled, ala Earthquake or Kamala. Push Elias. He was getting pretty over there for a bit. It doesn't matter if he's not great in-ring, you need people that get a reaction.

McIntrye, Corbin, Dolph, Shane don't work. Especially at top or close to the top. Not Owens, or Zayn or Miz. Not New Day. It's all boring & tired. 

Have Samoa Joe start choking people out or something. He's US Champ but you gotta make him a bigger threat. He cuts good promos too.

Stop trying to do comedy & tone back the women (without Ronda).

In another era, Seth would have been an above average tag team guy. That kind of role would have accentuated his positives and hid a lot of the flaws in his game. Maybe even the Ricky Morton-esque "tag team guy who gets a shot at a singles title" role.  Now he's another square peg in a round hole like babyface champ Tony Nese and flunkies-to-the-boss Revival. 

1 hour ago, Coffey said:

They should put Seth back in the IC division. He kind of thrived there. Push Andrade & Rusev to the main event & try something new. Get the titles off of Kofi & Seth 'cause they don't work as top guys. Tried it, it didn't work. Get out. 

Bryan is good. Brock even though he's only around part time is at least interesting when he shows up because you never know what is going to happen. Roman needs more work because he's just kind of there right now. They should try to salvage Braun again just to try to make him a monster to be toppled, ala Earthquake or Kamala. Push Elias. He was getting pretty over there for a bit. It doesn't matter if he's not great in-ring, you need people that get a reaction.

McIntrye, Corbin, Dolph, Shane don't work. Especially at top or close to the top. Not Owens, or Zayn or Miz. Not New Day. It's all boring & tired. 

Have Samoa Joe start choking people out or something. He's US Champ but you gotta make him a bigger threat. He cuts good promos too.

Stop trying to do comedy & tone back the women (without Ronda).

I think Kofi could work. It's harder to say with him because he's been mainly programmed against a stale as hell Kevin Owens and Dolph Ziggler.