Pro Wrestling Only

Paul Heyman and Eric Bischoff named to Executive Positions in WWE

Stiva

The same scalper bots are there for WWE events of recent times too though. A lot of WWE fanboys lost their minds over the fact AEW had such a high demand for their shows that it has to be scalpers/fake numbers/Dave's on the payroll. 

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, sek69 said:

The same scalper bots are there for WWE events of recent times too though. A lot of WWE fanboys lost their minds over the fact AEW had such a high demand for their shows that it has to be scalpers/fake numbers/Dave's on the payroll. 

If we're talking about here and now, there's no doubt. I'm not denying that the ticket demand for AEW is insane.  I know a guy who paid an absolutely obscene amount of money to a scalper to get a good ticket to All In and he was glad to pay it.  I also know that nowadays WWE can't give away seats.  If somebody kidnapped my Mother and told me that I had to go to WWE Stomping Grounds to get her back, I'd tell them that my Mom is getting up there in years, and had a good run, so who am I to interfere with the passage of time. However, if you look at how insanely hot the WWF was back in the 80's and even at points during the Attitude Era, I would imagine ticket demand might have been comparable if the same technology was available then as now.

AEW definitely has a greater demand than WWE but they also have a MUCH, MUCH, MUCH smaller supply. They are running shows every couple months. All Out is in an 11,000 seat arena. I am very confident that WWE as sold multiples of 11,000 tickets in one day. I paid $750 for three floor seat to All Out on the secondary market last week. I am extremely excited for a competitive alternative to WWE but saying AEW has a greater ticket demand than any WrestleMania ever is no different than claiming Omega-Okada has far superior psychology to any AJPW match ever. It is just not true. 

The point isn't the size of the venue (other than pointing out that AEW probably should have tried for a bigger building), but that they had something like 300K requests for tickets on day one, something that WWE has apparently never done no matter the size of the building they are trying to fill. Yes WWE eventually fills up places like Jerryworld in Dallas, but WM usually has tickets available for months. 

53 minutes ago, sek69 said:

The point isn't the size of the venue (other than pointing out that AEW probably should have tried for a bigger building), but that they had something like 300K requests for tickets on day one, something that WWE has apparently never done no matter the size of the building they are trying to fill. Yes WWE eventually fills up places like Jerryworld in Dallas, but WM usually has tickets available for months. 

I hate being that guy, because this has nothing to do with this thread but I guess I can't help myself. The bold is more than double than the actual number (137k) which was still an estimate. Closest comparison was Anderson Silva's first fight in Brazil on a 16k arena (estimated demand of 150k tickets). Which again, nobody is denying the power of the number and the crazy demand AEW has right now.

But comparing it to any Wrestlemania ever is just weird. Demand for a 60 to 80k building for a traditional yearly show will probably not have the same frantic sale as a 10k building, were you know you have way less chances of getting a seat. And you have to consider technology too, you seriously think that a WMIII to VI or WM 16 to 18 wouldn't have had crazy high demand on a 15k arena with online sales? Wrestlemania 21 at Staples Center sold out in under a minute and that was coming out of a boom period :lol:

Late to the party here, but isn't this much ado about nothing until there's evidence indicating that Heyman & Bischoff aren't the latest "head writers" through whom everything runs to Vince for a yay/nay/rewrite?  I'm not trying to be cynical but that scenario seems to be the understood reality for a number of years now so I'd like to understand what is in fact on a substantive rather than superficial level.

You know what this AEW demand talk reminds me of? The initial demand for NXT seats. It felt like a huge deal a few years ago when they were coming by Bel Air, MD for the first time. It felt like you could be a part of something by going. The second time they came around? Not so much. Now? Not at all. 

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

You know what this AEW demand talk reminds me of? The initial demand for NXT seats. It felt like a huge deal a few years ago when they were coming by Bel Air, MD for the first time. It felt like you could be a part of something by going. The second time they came around? Not so much. Now? Not at all. 

Probably true but the difference there is that AEW will have more mainstream exposure by being on TNT so in theory should have grown their audience by the time they're on their second go-around to the various arenas.

I haven't been keeping on everything AEW but is the expectation that they will be doing non-televised house shows? Because that's part of the reason NXT tickets might have went from strongly in-demand to lesser. At first, there was that novelty of seeing the NXT roster in your own hometown - but like comparing house shows to TV tapings, once it becomes clear that what you're seeing is now just a touring show, it does make it less "must see." Even SummerSlam is supposedly doing just fine selling tickets right now while Extreme Rules isn't. The audience isn't stupid. SummerSlam is a "big show" and everything else, including TV tapings nowadays, are seen as skippable.

Also, NXT does, over time, lose its biggest stars. When the first NXT show came to Cleveland (2015, I believe, but it could've been earlier), the card featured Hideo Itami, a Banks/Flair/Bayley/Bliss fourway, Cesaro vs. Balor, and Kevin Owens vs. Neville. Cleveland has a strong indie wrestling base (AIW does great attendance for its big shows for awhile), but I'm not sure today's NXT roster would do as well. I could be way wrong, but I've never viewed Adam Cole or Matt Riddle as being "indie draws" the way Balor and Owens were. I know the last time NXT was here, Ricochet and Gargano (Cleveland's own) were heavily featured in the print ads, but even Ricochet seems like a step down from years past when you might see someone like Nakamura. 

Yeah, after the reaction the news got putting them on TV is very much a Vince move. Which again goes to show that nothing is gonna change much in the grand scheme of things.

I wonder if they just rehash that horrible "we are hearing you, this will change!" McMahon centric promo from early in the year :lol:

1 hour ago, FMKK said:

Dave is saying that advertising Bischoff was an error but Vince might want him to be there now just due to how prominent the news became

yup, apparently there was an e-mail blast sent out promoting Bischoff for Smackdown that the creative team knew nothing about.  There is a lot of funky shit going on backstage for sure