Pro Wrestling Only

WWE TV 07/29 - 08/04 Hey whatever this country is broken

KawadaSmile

51 minutes ago, KawadaSmile said:

Bryan or Murphy would be great choices, but I'm expecting the "safe" Joe reveal.

I mean I really applaud them for trying to do different shit and have this air of suspense, but the execution was poor. I was entertained, but it really could've been done better. Their production last night was overall pretty good, with all those promo packages and whatnot, but that segment and the finish to Kofi/AJ (which is a lesser mistake) were mistakes that just don't really happen that often and as such were really grating.

Word is they are trying some new shit for SD when they move to FOX. New camera shots like the ones they use at WWE 24 etc.

Really, they should look to make WWE 24 style profiles of the top 8-10 stars on Smackdown going forward and air segments of them as intros during their first month or two on Fox.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, FMKK said:

Either Kevin Dunne is getting worse and worse or Vince making constant last minute re-writes means they're having to do a half assed job to get things done on time.

I'd like to say "little of column A, little of column B", but I'm sure the writers aren't the only one left scrambling with Vince's whims changing on a dime. When given proper time WWE production can be amazingly well done, but I'm not sure if even an Academy Award winning cinematographer/director/camera operator combo can work magic when told "do something in an hour that our crazy ass boss might decide to throw out seconds after we finish".

I just saw Roman’s accident. Fucking Christ. Just as we’re talking about over producing shit, this thing airs. I counted at least four cameras used to shoot that. Probably five or six, really. Why the fuck is there a camera mounted on the rigging that fell on him? How are they able to cut to it with no notice that it’s going to happen? Good production happens when you don’t notice it. I definitely notice this crap. 

OK, so maybe the segment was poorly produced, but you guys have to admit:

- It's EXTREMELY relatable. I am sure all of us have, at one time or another, had someone attempt to murder us with rigging or scaffolding. 

- It's a completely natural way to set up a pro wrestling match. If someone attempts to murder you, the logical end point is to meet in the ring, wearing tights, with a ref present to warn you if you keep a hold on too long while your would-be murderer is in the ropes. 

40 minutes ago, gordi said:

OK, so maybe the segment was poorly produced, but you guys have to admit:

- It's EXTREMELY relatable. I am sure all of us have, at one time or another, had someone attempt to murder us with rigging or scaffolding. 

- It's a completely natural way to set up a pro wrestling match. If someone attempts to murder you, the logical end point is to meet in the ring, wearing tights, with a ref present to warn you if you keep a hold on too long while your would-be murderer is in the ropes. 

Lol!  There's a great history of attempted murder in pro wrestling.  Hell, I think Roman's been on the receiving end four or five times in his relatively short career. How many dudes got run down by a car in Memphis over the years?

I'm gonna sound like a broken record, but I wouldn't have had such a problem with the segment without the over-production.  First off, when have we ever seen a backstage interview where the interviewer is in the staging area and the talent is announced as they were walking toward them?  Never.  At most, they're usually standing just off screen.

Ok, I do have a background in television, so bear with my, uh, fantasy production booking.  This should all be done with one camera.  Start on the interview.  She's getting set, says something like, "Ok.  Here's Roman.  You rolling?"  You here the camera guy say yeah.  He's still on the interviewer. She's fixing her hair, etc.  Then she suddenly looks toward where Roman's walking, yells, "Oh my god!  Look out!"  The camera swings over and catches the rigging just as it falls on Roman, then runs over and keeps rolling as everyone runs over to help.  

That's how it would actually happen in that kind of situation.  Lends it a little more "realness" even if it is a ridiculous situation (which it definitely is, Gordi!).  

There's a good rule of thumb with anything creative, which I consider production choices to be: don't do something just because you can.  I trained videographers and editors for over 10 years.  With enough time and the right technology, almost anything is possible.  That doesn't mean you should always do it.  

3 minutes ago, Log said:

Ok, I do have a background in television, so bear with my, uh, fantasy production booking.  This should all be done with one camera.  Start on the interview.  She's getting set, says something like, "Ok.  Here's Roman.  You rolling?"  You here the camera guy say yeah.  He's still on the interviewer. She's fixing her hair, etc.  Then she suddenly looks toward where Roman's walking, yells, "Oh my god!  Look out!"  The camera swings over and catches the rigging just as it falls on Roman, then runs over and keeps rolling as everyone runs over to help.  

Nailed it.

But do you think the reason they didn't/don't go for that sort of approach is because, in Vince or Kevin Dunn's eyes, this would put the focus too much on the interviewer and not on Roman? In the shot you describe, the majority of the screen time is on the interviewer. The way they shot it, the camera is following Reigns for a quarter mile before anything actually happens. Your way of shooting it is infinitely better in every way, but I can see Kevin Dunn thinking the star of the scene is Roman Reigns so the camera should be on him from the beginning. 

I'm not opposed to the angle, but as I wrote above, to me, the pay-off will decide whether it was good or not. If it turns out to be Samoa Joe, it'd be idiotic to me. If it turns out to be Buddy Murphy, I'd probably like it - but I'd still be skeptical about where it goes next. I'd be okay with it being someone like Balor, a babyface that needs freshening up, though I'm not sure it' d be a good idea long-term. If it turns out to be Rikishi (who is doing it for The Rock), I'd be surprised, but okay with it. If it turns out to be Jason Statham in his Owen Shaw character from the Fast and Furious franchise and it is all a tie-in to Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw, I'm rethinking every negative thing I've said about the WWE this year. So, yeah, the pay-off is the most important to me.

20 minutes ago, DMJ said:

If it turns out to be Jason Statham in his Owen Shaw character from the Fast and Furious franchise and it is all a tie-in to Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw, I'm rethinking every negative thing I've said about the WWE this year. So, yeah, the pay-off is the most important to me.

Holy shit

8 hours ago, DMJ said:

If it turns out to be Jason Statham in his Owen Shaw character from the Fast and Furious franchise and it is all a tie-in to Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw, I'm rethinking every negative thing I've said about the WWE this year. So, yeah, the pay-off is the most important to me.

I'd laugh my ass, and I can't lie, I'd mark out a bit too.

It would be so bad and so absurd, which would make it the greatest thing ever!

So I just read the new WON, and the plan is to be the guy who tried to kill Roman was in fact..... 

Daniel Bryan.

That's why his announcement kept getting delayed, and Roman-Bryan is scheduled for SummerSlam.

After all these years they finally got both those guys getting the reactions they wanted, and now they're doing a program? Seems like WWE is playing with fire. Roman beating Bryan on a big show, even if it makes sense based on the storyline they are doing, seems like it will just remind people why they refused to accept Roman in the first place.

9 hours ago, DMJ said:

If it turns out to be Jason Statham in his Owen Shaw character from the Fast and Furious franchise and it is all a tie-in to Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw, I'm rethinking every negative thing I've said about the WWE this year. 

Actually, Jason Statham is Deckard Shaw, the brother of Owen Shaw. Luke Evans is the actor who played Owen Shaw, the villain from Fast & Furious 6. (Which makes the title of Hobbs and Shaw confusing if there are 2 characters with the last name Shaw in the franchise). It would be interesting if the actor who played Owen Shaw in FF6 was the one who attacked Roman though out of petty jealousy that Roman got to be in the new movie and his character (Owen Shaw) did not.

14 hours ago, sek69 said:

So I just read the new WON, and the plan is to be the guy who tried to kill Roman was in fact..... 

Daniel Bryan.

That's why his announcement kept getting delayed, and Roman-Bryan is scheduled for SummerSlam.

After all these years they finally got both those guys getting the reactions they wanted, and now they're doing a program? Seems like WWE is playing with fire. Roman beating Bryan on a big show, even if it makes sense based on the storyline they are doing, seems like it will just remind people why they refused to accept Roman in the first place.

It's gonna be interesting, but Bryan is such a good heel that fans might just boo him because it's fun or what they are "supposed to do" with him reaction wise.

The crowd might be too smarky too cheer Roman though. But I think if they let him have another amazing match with each other, it could get the reaction they want. But what do I know, I thought the same thing when they faced at Fastlane and it didn't happen :lol:

Daniel Bryan *is* able to get regularly booed and Roman gets cheered every time now.

You can't really say they've not booked those two to get the desired reactions, so if things change in an eventual confrontation, it's more on the fans. In fact, if they do face off at Summerslam, I think DBry is going over.

14 hours ago, C.S. said:

Luke Evans is pretty fantastic and can mug and overact with the best of them, so he'd actually fit right in with WWE.

Yes, but can he convincingly look shocked that a move he has never won a match with only got a two-count?

2 hours ago, KawadaSmile said:

Daniel Bryan *is* able to get regularly booed and Roman gets cheered every time now.

You can't really say they've not booked those two to get the desired reactions, so if things change in an eventual confrontation, it's more on the fans. In fact, if they do face off at Summerslam, I think DBry is going over.

Except, this match would be in Toronto, which has historically been "bizarro-land" for fan reactions.

Wondering if they will bring up the early 2015 backstory with Roman and Bryan.  They've kinda avoided talking about the 14/15 rumbles for years now.  But they are telling a 10 year backstory with Kofi/Randy with inside references so I could see them going in that direction here