Pro Wrestling Only

NXT Takeover: Toronto 2019

Ricky Jackson

3 hours ago, Matt D said:

I wouldn't call that lashing out.

Neither would I. I wouldn't have bothered responding, because stuff like that always gets blown out of proportion. But Gargano was simply a bit miffed, not angry or lashing out.

That said, I agree with the sentiment that a lot of current wrestlers are really in the bag for themselves. That's why responding to anything is a bad move. Work the marks, don't be one.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

33 minutes ago, KawadaSmile said:

But yeah, wrestlers should be more like Matt Riddle, saying "I will kick your ass, I don't care" while completely stoned.

Riddle was walking at Summerslam no selling Dain's attack at Takeover to be fair. Not exactly old school.

1 hour ago, Mad Dog said:

Right there with you. That's mark shit and way too many wrestlers come off like marks getting worked by the fans these days. Social media was one of the worst things that happened to wrestling. 

Chris Jericho did not need social media to shut down his website in 2002 when internet fans did not give a PPV match of his against RVD *****.

I'm gonna play Devil's advocate here because it's a bit rich.

We, and by we I mean WE, spend our time criticizing matches and workers, bitching about selling, execution, making fun of movez, making lists, making threads about a guy sucking, complaining about not hoping on the leg enough, wanting people to go the fuck away, shouting about shitty offense and not understanding psychology and whatnot and these guys don't even have the right to respond to some of those criticism because #kayfabein2019 and please keep yourself in character for OUR OWN entertainment ? 

Come on people. 

10 minutes ago, El-P said:

I'm gonna play Devil's advocate here because it's a bit rich.

We, and by we I mean WE, spend our time criticizing matches and workers, bitching about selling, execution, making fun of movez, making lists, making threads about a guy sucking, complaining about not hoping on the leg enough, wanting people to go the fuck away, shouting about shitty offense and not understanding psychology and whatnot and these guys don't even have the right to respond to some of those criticism because #kayfabein2019 and please keep yourself in character for OUR OWN entertainment ? 

Come on people. 

In 2019, the line between creator and audience is definitely thinner than ever. I think we see all the time writers/artists/etc. interacting with fan questions and complaints. I'm not sure we see it with actors quite as much. Wrestling is a fairly unique art form where the performer is involved in the creative element of a match, the actual performance of the match, though not necessarily the result or some of the broad strokes. They have corporate oversight. I think about comic books where a writer might have a corporate mandate but craft a lot of the broad creative strokes, then execute those, but they're not actually portraying the characters in question. If you have a writer/director/actor all in one for a movie or TV show, you might get that, but I can think of few cases personally along those lines. The way Stephen Amell interacts with his fans sort of comes to mind? 

I don't think it's a black and white situation. I do feel that pro wrestling is fairly unique and presents unique challenges. I know what I'd prefer personally, but we are in a different world in this age of social media with different fans and potential fans who interface with the world in a different way.

7 hours ago, NintendoLogic said:

I had pretty much tuned Beth out by this point, so I missed this gem when it happened.

Isn't Michael Cole producing the announcers in NXT?  If so it's like having Vince producing them but being filtered through a sock first.

4 hours ago, Microstatistics said:

Was Cole/Gargano III really that much more excessive? In fact, the excess made more sense considering the stipulation and escalation compared to the endless finisher kickouts of their first two matches.

I think the main issue was the first fall. The 2nd was actually alright, and the third, as much as people complained about the overkill, kind of demanded that type of thing, as it was a barbed wire cage match with no escape rules.

The first one just went on and on and on and on...

The first Gargano/Cole match was a 2-out-of-3 falls match that went 38 minutes and featured lots of finishers (including Fish & O'Reilly's) and lots of finisher kickouts. They basically did it all in this match. It was dizzying and jam-packed with crazy offense, much of which was arguably undersold.

The second Gargano/Cole match was a 30-minute Ironman match that started with both guys suffering arm damage - and then proceeded to feature just about every move under the sun: Ushigoroshis, backstabbers, bicycle kicks, discuss clotheslines, topes, spears and, oh yes, there were still plenty of superkicks. Again, much of this was arguably undersold to get to the next breathtaking sequence. The finishing stretch was terrific - but, again, it was dizzying and jam-packed with crazy offense.

This weekend, they wrestled in (essentially) a Three Stages of Hell match for 46 minutes. If you're counting at home, that's 114 minutes of action between two guys over the course of the past 3 Takeovers and all the matches, except for the last two falls (because one was no DQ and involved brawling in the crowd and the other was in the cage) looked and felt very much the same. Were the moves well-executed? Sure. Were there some slick counters and nasty-looking bumps? No doubt. But if you saw the first match, you saw the second, and you saw most of the third. You can only go through the alphabet of crazy moves so many times before it stops being impressive.

In other words:

Cole/Gargano 1 was indulgent.

Cole/Gargano 2 was excessive.

Cole/Gargano 3 was whatever the most extreme synonym of those words is.