Pro Wrestling Only

WWE TV 08/26 - 09/01 Insulting a president's wife in order to score points with your shrinking fanbase

KawadaSmile

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Herodes said:

Ah 1999....young up and comer Chris Jericho was the talk of the industry as JR and Schiavone provided the soundtrack of the Monday night wars.... 

Good thing there wasn’t a hip alternative promotion that had Bob Backlund winning their title with Bob Caudle on commentary 

It's almost as if 18 years of monopoly actually has consequences

On 9/2/2019 at 7:39 AM, Herodes said:

Ah 1999....young up and comer Chris Jericho was the talk of the industry as JR and Schiavone provided the soundtrack of the Monday night wars.... 

Good thing there wasn’t a hip alternative promotion that had Bob Backlund winning their title with Bob Caudle on commentary 

1) I’d be shocked if Jericho still has an uninterrupted run going through early 2020 (hedging the bet against a “chase” angle and another Jericho reign through the next All In).  I mean don’t forget Terry Funk’s ECW runs, and Jericho has never announced a “retirement” 3-5 times between his first WWE hiatus and now!

2) Is there a 1994 Joey Styles that you think is unsigned elsewhere that JR and Tony are holding back with their mere presence?  They are beloved by the general wrestling fan base, it is wise to use well known, and regarded, voices at a launch.

3 hours ago, SteveJRogers said:

1) I’d be shocked if Jericho still has an uninterrupted run going through early 2020 (hedging the bet against a “chase” angle and another Jericho reign through the next All In).  I mean don’t forget Terry Funk’s ECW runs, and Jericho has never announced a “retirement” 3-5 times between his first WWE hiatus and now!

2) Is there a 1994 Joey Styles that you think is unsigned elsewhere that JR and Tony are holding back with their mere presence?  They are beloved by the general wrestling fan base, it is wise to use well known, and regarded, voices at a launch.

It’s a sad indictment of wrestling as a whole that what was popular in 1999 is still considered relevant in 2019 especially for a supposed alternative that has aspirations to compete. I would say the same thing about WWE turning to Heyman and Bischoff for creative direction. Compare these last 20 years to 1999 vs 1979. Smackdown is advertising it’s fox debut by heavily featuring Austin and Rock etc. Wrestling died in the late 90s, everything else in the post-wrestling era has been a sad attempt to get back what is by this point 20 years long gone, the context has completely changed but fans are naively gearing up for the new “monday Night wars”. As I have said before, the Nitro Party is over and DJ Ran is no longer all up in our area.

54 minutes ago, Coffey said:

I'll take "old" guys on commentary like Tony Schiavone if the "new" guys on commentary are shit sandwiches like Mauro. 

Best announcers in the biz (in English) from what I know and watch are Kevin Kelly (old, best announcing job ever during the G1), Jim Cornette (old, whatever I may think of his opinions on modern wrestling, he mostly killed it in MLW) and Don Callis (old, does a terrific job in IMPACT). Excalibur has been really good, but there needs to be some chemistry with a partner. JR ain't it. The Goldenboy guy ain't it (and I'm not sure why he was even there). Mauro in AEW would legit make me question following the promotion. He's that bad of a turn off to me at this point.

Excalibur is good enough to do it solo and just have someone on the side that tells people what the appropriate hashtags are.  In PWG, he’s either by himself or has a wrestler sitting in on commentary with him (most prominently Chuck Taylor).  They seem to have about 15 people working there between commentary and interviews and it’s pretty crowded.

42 minutes ago, Zoo Enthusiast said:

In PWG, he’s either by himself or has a wrestler sitting in on commentary with him (most prominently Chuck Taylor). 

That could work too if the wrestler is good. I love the team of Kevin Kelly & Rocky Romero. Solo can be fine, but I find it kinda dry. It worked in ECW because Joey Styles. I usually enjoy a good chemistry between two people. That's why even though Joey Matthews is nothing special at all, him + Don Callis is actually very enjoyable. Whole > sum of the parts.