Pro Wrestling Only

WWE TV 10/07 - 10/13 Mamma Mia Nigel! The crowd is turning on Seth much like [REDACTED COMPARISON]

KawadaSmile

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Mad Dog said:

WWE reminds me a lot of the current day comic book market. They think they are marketing themselves to a younger market but the only people that actually watch/buy their products are the old people that grew up on it. Both have a high barrier to entry with time for WWE and money for comics. And both have certain problems with how they execute storylines that unless they got you hooked young, you aren't going to stick with it.

The big difference is that comic book companies are mainly IP farms for movie studios these days and any comics they sell are a bonus. WWE still has to sell its product to someone to be successful, even if that someone happens to be TV networks.

1 hour ago, NintendoLogic said:

The big difference is that comic book companies are mainly IP farms for movie studios these days and any comics they sell are a bonus. WWE still has to sell its product to someone to be successful, even if that someone happens to be TV networks.

Comic companies are to movie studios what WWE are to Mohammed Bin Salman I guess

2 hours ago, sek69 said:

I would say at least partly, yes. It's a chance to get in on the ground floor on a new set of characters that most people haven't seen before. Plus as stated the finishes and booking have all mattered and none of it makes you feel like an idiot for investing your time.

Exactly. Plus, there’s hope with AEW. I like their show now. I don’t think it’s perfect. There are a lot of things they could do better. But at least there’s a chance they’ll learn from mistakes and get better. As long as Vince is in charge, WWE will never get better. I have no hope in my mind of that happening. 

26 minutes ago, Log said:

Exactly. Plus, there’s hope with AEW. I like their show now. I don’t think it’s perfect. There are a lot of things they could do better. But at least there’s a chance they’ll learn from mistakes and get better. As long as Vince is in charge, WWE will never get better. I have no hope in my mind of that happening. 

Speaking of that, one thing AEW got criticized about on the first show was the Moxley run in with the ref looking not being a DQ. They made a point to make sure the refs were put in a position to not look like chumps in week two, showing they learned more in a week than WWE shows in months if not years.

7 hours ago, Mad Dog said:

They lost a million viewers. They are going to have to figure something out or they will be on FS1 quickly.

7 hours ago, sek69 said:

Unless they start getting like Impact numbers they aren't being moved to FS1 anytime soon.

I'm sure neither FOX or WWE are thrilled about the decrease, although I am sure they expected some kind of drop-off.  What I am sure that FOX is happy about is that Smackdown still won the time slot over NBC, CBS and ABC in the in the key 18-49 year old demographic...although they did come in last out of that group in overall viewers.

6 hours ago, FMKK said:

I would love someone to do a survey into those 50+ year olds who are watching WWE because the company thinks it's catering to young people and so much of the in-ring style has shifted in the wake of what indies were doing in the last 15 years or so, which you'd expect to cater to your 20-35 year old smark. So I'd love to know who these 50+ year old fans are, who they see as stars, what they like about WWE etc. 

Damned if I know what those people are thinking.  I turn 50 in January and I think Raw and Smackdown are totally unwatchable at this point.

2 hours ago, Robert S said:

"She's got herpes." was a regular chant in the 90ies.

True, and so were signs like "Lawler has AIDS", and that's pretty much the point. Sensibilities change, and nearly 3 decades later somethings like that sticking with the fans is impressive, in more than one way.

Hell, I saw some footage of an old territory (Memphis? Not sure) where one heel wrestler was absent and the crowd kept chanting he had AIDS while his partner was telling them what happened.

This is sad...

I hope Jeff Hardy gets the help he needs and stops putting others in harm's way with his selfish, reckless actions. 

I don't judge people for having substance issues. I do judge them when they're a danger to innocent lives with DUI/DWIs, like Jeff and The Usos do habitually.

I know there was a poster here who had a DUI/DWI once - once being the key word - and he spoke eloquently about it. I can respect that.

What I can't respect is Jeff doing it over and over.

If Jeff wants to get fucked up in his own house, I don't care. The minute other people's lives are on the line because this drug-addicted redneck fuck doesn't care about anyone other than himself, that's where I lose all sympathy.

Reby really doesn't help her case though...

I mean....if us randos on the interwebs knew what would happen if you come at Reby, surely her own sister-in-law had to know. 

Plus, yeah Reby's gonna Reby but she's 100% right here. It looks like Jeff's wife is at best in denial at how bad his problems are and at worst she's straight up enabling him. If I had to guess (based on growing up in a family full of folks with alcohol issues) is that she doesn't want to rock the boat and lashes out at anyone who points at the elephant in the room. 

What's her character exactly, though? Perennial loser? Like, what is she thanking him for? Having her get drafted to SmackDown?

Because, if thats what she is thankful for, she is breaking kayfabe by saying that Vince controls who got drafted where. Which, if you go one more logical step, also means he controls who wins and loses matches. Which also means he booked her to lose to Becky Lynch decisevly last week. 

So, I don't get it. And I don't think she does either anymore. And I don't think many or really any fans are able to keep the thread of WWE's "gray" area storytelling where everyone is in character all the time except when they're not because they're all "playing characters" and nothing is real except what you see on TV except when that also isn't real because even the most nefarious heel, the biggest bullies on the roster, are still seen doing anti-bully PR work.  

It was way easier to enjoy Sasha Banks, as a performer, when she was a definable character with clear motives. Its not just her tweets - her whole character and presentation has been an absolute hot mess since they called her up and, for whatever reason, decided they could base her babyface character on being an "internet darling" and being the anti-Charlotte.