Pro Wrestling Only

AEW Dark Megathread

Stiva

there were some crazy/stupid bumps in Omega/Janela.. and also some of the crowd shots made one ask "are these fans shocked at the action, or bored by it". I did resist the urge to check the time bar on YouTube to see how much longer Omega/Janela would go on for.

It would make sense from a matchmaking/booking philosophy to book some of the so-called IWC favored guys so they get over among the more casual fans, as opposed to assuming that they're already over before appearing and then never getting them over with most of the audience.

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stray thoughts:

Excalibur and Taz were shockingly good together. It’s strange to remember that Taz was actually pretty good at one point. Janella/Cutler was oil and water with a bizarre chop exchange thrown in the middle of it. Cutler is probably serviceable as a competitive jobber but he really had no chemistry with Janella. The Librarians are still terrible but as a cheap heat machine, Avalon is at least tolerable. Bates/Nyla was...not good. I dig Nyla’s power offense but Bates moves like she has a piano strapped to her back. I think Nyla Rose might actually move quicker. But props to Leva for taking a couple of nutty bumps to get her over. Peppering in some little promos to hype the TV is a good idea to keep Dark fresh with two good concise ones from Kazarian and PAC. The main was fun but felt like a real dark match with the comedy spots, MJF interference and Private Party working quasi-heel. Bucks/Private Party feels like the beginning of a long-term rivalry that they can always go back to. A show that was saved by its main but these have so many good workers to plug into these kind of multi-mans that they can run those matches forever.

I'll second the praise for the Excalibur and Taz pairing. I think Excalibur is the best commentator in the business and have for the last few years, but I despised Taz for most of his commentary run. But something definitely clicked between them.

I like Joey Janela, he has a goofy charisma to him that just works. But I really think they need to make a decision about whether or not he is going to be a good guy who fights against the odds and can take lots of punishment, or if he is going to be a weird douche bag kind of guy and play off his Bad Boy persona. His current lack of character is just leaving him as "that guy" and his charisma is only going to carry him so far.

Rose/Bates should have ended after that nasty Death Valley Driver. Leva got too much offense.

Also would like to second the praise for the SCU and Pac promo's.

I have never been a fan of the Daniels/Kazarian/Sky trio, but that was a great little promo that makes me want to see them and The Lucha Bros meet in a heated little grudge match as the tag tournament finals.

Unlike seemingly everyone else on this board, I fucking love Pac, and I thought the short promo he had going at Moxley was well done, to the point, and got across exactly what needed to be said.

The main event was just good fun. Definitely not a TV match, but good fun for the people in attendance and enjoyable if you don't take it too seriously, but nothing super offense to wrestling purists. The Dustin being blown up spot got a chuckle out of me, and I was actually hoping we would get the Rick Knox dive spot since he's done it in PWG.

I still have no idea where they found Private Party, but damn, these kids are impressive.

That main event was a match the Bucks and Cody did a million times in ROH and always works - they have a good sense of how to mix the comedy and enough drama and athleticism while keeping something in the tank for bigger matches. Didn't realize how much I'd missed those until I saw it last night, hadn't gotten one in almost a year.

I agree the Pac and SCU packages were good.  Glad I've completely missed any online hatred of Pac, he's awesome.  Glad he's got some character to go along with the in-ring.

I wasn't that crazy about the Taz/Excalibur pairing, and maybe it was the tone of the match but it didn't seem like they were taking things very seriously.  I missed years worth of PWG so not sure if Excalibur evolved over the years to the excellent commentator he is now or if he had to do a cold turkey jump from the MST3K stream of consciousness stuff to serious work when AEW started.

Anyway, I only had interest in watching the 8-man and maybe I had high expectations.  The match was good, but more "fun" than a serious kick-ass match these guys could deliver.  It was a true dark match, fun for what it was but guys were kind of taking it easy and seemed like going thru the motions a bit.  Certainly not the "must see" I was expecting.

My interest in AEW is starting to cool a bit.  Hoping they can bring in a few guys from the outside that interest me.

9 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

Janela's chops vs Cutler were not very convincing. Might as well just slap the other guy on the chest to do something more credible than those chops

I was thinking last night during Dynamite, that the promotion has some weak strikers.  Then I remembered that they have Dustin Rhodes on the payroll.  Get him working with those guys!

yeah, to put it nicely, you can tell which people on the roster have worked on cable TV and which haven't.. obviously those who are just arriving on this stage will adjust over time. But it's a little different when you're on TV as opposed to indy shows where you can go longer for whatever reason. For reference, the Omega/Janela Dark match went 26 minutes and the Dynamite match went 13 minutes.

so yeah, strikes can be improved, or they could just figure out the strikes that look good and focus on them.

On 10/24/2019 at 9:50 AM, Log said:

I was thinking last night during Dynamite, that the promotion has some weak strikers.  Then I remembered that they have Dustin Rhodes on the payroll.  Get him working with those guys!

It doesn't seem to work that way, I'm afraid. Jerry Lawler has been on WWE's payroll for decades, but how many of their workers can throw a decent punch?

11 hours ago, Blehschmidt said:

I enjoyed the match, but man the edits in the women's 4 way were super blatant.

Yep. But damn some of this one was really fun, and it's so cool (and bizarre) to see Emi Sakura get over in a US promotion in 2019. Also, Allie is everythingAEW needs for their white meat babyface. She is no dentist, but she's a solid veteran worker with charisma, she just knows how to handle herself, how to move, how to get herself over.

So the opener was the match Corny blew his gasket about, because of a 2 sc comedy spot by Sonny Kiss ? If Corny could get his head out of his ass, he would have seen that this was actually a really good match (way better than any match on NWA Powerr thus far too, just in passing) with a super solid performance by Dustin Rhodes. Sonny looked better than he had before in AEW, I hope they keep that team going, because they could be a cool unit and a great way to teach Sonny. Also, Peter Avalon is actually quite a solid worker and promo, he always gets heat, old-school style, bashing the cities every week. Yeah, I said it, I enjoy what they have did with the Librarian gimmick. Leva doing a few comedy spots and taking bumps is mighty fine with me.

That MJF interview was quite interesting too, he managed to keep his heelish edge while acting babyface and taking about an actual real issue. i enjoy this little weekly bit.

Also, that garbage car crash was fun.

19 hours ago, El-P said:

So the opener was the match Corny blew his gasket about, because of a 2 sc comedy spot by Sonny Kiss ? If Corny could get his head out of his ass, he would have seen that this was actually a really good match (way better than any match on NWA Powerr thus far too, just in passing) with a super solid performance by Dustin Rhodes. Sonny looked better than he had before in AEW, I hope they keep that team going, because they could be a cool unit and a great way to teach Sonny. Also, Peter Avalon is actually quite a solid worker and promo, he always gets heat, old-school style, bashing the cities every week. Yeah, I said it, I enjoy what they have did with the Librarian gimmick. Leva doing a few comedy spots and taking bumps is mighty fine with me.

I thought this was a really nice spot for Sonny - great in the FIP role, really entertaining chemistry with Dustin. 

MJF on commentary is gold. 

Tully BLanchard swept on Nakazawa's baby oil. Send a GIF to Corny.

That women's match had tons of clipping, again. Sadie Gibbs doesn't look to be ready to be featured, honestly, it seems quite a bit of editing is done when she's in the ring. I can't hear Big Swole and not think about the No Limit Soldiers. 

Janela/Havoc vs Jungle Boy/Stunt was very good. Hey, remember when people went apeshit because of Marko Stunt ? Yeah, that was last week's "let's get offended" from that crowd, no one cares anymore now, they moved on to some other stuff. That finish though, how brutal.

Janela vs Spears at the PPV maybe ?

• 2 weeks later...