Pro Wrestling Only

NWA Powerrr

Coffey

On 8/25/2022 at 1:25 PM, The Thread Killer said:

I am literally still in disbelief that this is basically their biggest pay-per-view of the year, and they are going with Tyrus in the main event. I have no beef whatsoever with Trevor Murdoch as their World Champion, but they really need to find a better challenger. This is just insane.

I honestly think Corgan is being such a mark for mainstream publicity, that he wants the Ten Pounds of Gold to show up on the set of various highly rated basic cable shows (The Five, Gutfeld!, etc).  

No matter how illogical it will be for the NWA storylines.

• Replies 900
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, El-P said:

Any clips of this ?

Pro-wrestling as it used to be, indeed. Wait for Tyrus to win the damn title now.

Haven’t seen any clips but it happened at the beginning of the Burke Invitational Gauntlet Match. Recap from f4wonline

--Baby Doll was with Samantha Starr backstage, returning to the NWA. May Valentine noted that she came back to NWA to manager her daughter, Samantha Starr, who Valentine welcomed to the NWA. Starr talked about what it meant for her to go up against the top talent in the NWA in the Burke Invitational. 

KiLynn King and Samantha Starr started the match, as King looks to continue her rise in the NWA, and Starr looks to make an impact with her mom in her corner. The announcers talked about the family of Grizzly Smith, praising the wrestlers that came from him, but I wouldn’t have done that, given Smith’s history of abuse. Not a good look, despite it being true that it was Starr’s family linage.

Well, that's not what I'd call "talking positively about Grizzly Smith contribution to pro-wrestling". From what I get and without having heard it, they referred to his family when his grand-daughter was debuting, and as he was the patriarch they name-dropped him, and although it's indeed gross and it would have taken two seconds to realize that saying "Jake Roberts' family" would have accomplished the exact same thing without making a really stupid reference, it's not exactly what's it's made out to be either. The cult of old-school territory wrestling is gonna make you say some good stuff about some abhorrent human beings. Which is one reason this period should always be considered with caution, to say the least.

I wonder if people realize than whenever they cheer for the frogsplash (and pay tribute to Eddie), they actually pay tribute to a guy who was charged of raping an underage girl by proxy (Eddie first did the frogsplash to pay tribute to Art Barr, as it was his finisher). 

Can we please avoid what-aboutism? It muddies the current discussion and argues a point nobody is making.

Also, the inference was that Grizzly fathered a great family and his lineage was of immense talent. She is the world's first third generational women's talent and they wanted to put that over. Fine. Mention Jake, Rocking Robin and the siblings. Let fans connect the dots. It was probably not a direct and intentional comment but it was flippant and gross. 

5 minutes ago, Rah said:

Can we please avoid what-aboutism? It muddies the current discussion and argues a point nobody is making.

What are you even taIking about ? I just said it was *gross* and stupid in the post just above and said they should have referred to Jake instead. 

BTW, and since this is related to the entire "wrestling royaltie" annoying trope that has me cringe every time I hear it (Hi Cody), I was thinking about this recently, the american wrestling business has a lot a wrestling families and second, third and more to come (with now a lot more male/female wrestlers couple) generation wrestlers. Mexico is obviously based on wrestling families. But Japanese pro-wrestling doesn't seem to have as much if any of this. Out of the top of my head, I can think of Rikidozan's son of course, Hana Kimura was the daughter of a joshi wrestler, Hashimoto's kid works in Z1, the son of Red Shoes Uno is a pro-wrestler and may become a star one day, but I can't really think of a lot of generational things with entire families of pro-wrestlers. I wonder what are the cultural/social reasons behind this. I know sumo has some sons of and grandsons-of, though not sure of the extent of it (not paying enough attention), but it's seemingly more than in japanese pro-wrestling.

3 hours ago, El-P said:

The cult of old-school territory wrestling is gonna make you say some good stuff about some abhorrent human beings. Which is one reason this period should always be considered with caution, to say the least.

I wonder if people realize than whenever they cheer for the frogsplash (and pay tribute to Eddie), they actually pay tribute to a guy who was charged of raping an underage girl by proxy (Eddie first did the frogsplash to pay tribute to Art Barr, as it was his finisher). 

This

2 hours ago, Rah said:

This

Nothing to do with what-aboutism. Those are two points I think about regularly. Just a opportunity to drop them in the 'Comment that don't warrant a thread' (EDIT oh, well, the NWA thread, but really that's so much out of my radar I legit thought I was in the other thread !), much like much thoughts about pro-wrestling families in Japan and such. There's no big conversation about this issue that can be "muddied", especially considering you ended up making pretty much the same remarks anyway (gross, should have talked about Jake instead). I guess my first reaction is that I expected even worse, which says a lot about how much I think about the company (Tyrus, hi).

3 hours ago, El-P said:

BTW, and since this is related to the entire "wrestling royaltie" annoying trope that has me cringe every time I hear it (Hi Cody), I was thinking about this recently, the american wrestling business has a lot a wrestling families and second, third and more to come (with now a lot more male/female wrestlers couple) generation wrestlers. Mexico is obviously based on wrestling families. But Japanese pro-wrestling doesn't seem to have as much if any of this. Out of the top of my head, I can think of Rikidozan's son of course, Hana Kimura was the daughter of a joshi wrestler, Hashimoto's kid works in Z1, the son of Red Shoes Uno is a pro-wrestler and may become a star one day, but I can't really think of a lot of generational things with entire families of pro-wrestlers. I wonder what are the cultural/social reasons behind this. I know sumo has some sons of and grandsons-of, though not sure of the extent of it (not paying enough attention), but it's seemingly more than in japanese pro-wrestling.

How is it in non-scripted sports?

In the US/Americas, offspring and other generation removed relatives of past performers are often celebrated.  Which is probably why wrestling uses it as a frequent storyline.

Just now, SteveJRogers said:

How is it in non-scripted sports?

Dunno, I don't watch sports apart from sumo. 

Sons-of are everywhere, it's social reproduction. What annoys me more than anything is the term "wrestling royalty". Considering how fucked up most pro-wrestling family are/were, that's kind of a backward compliment. And mostly, since when is aristocracy considered a good thing anyway ? I dunno, that triggers the French in me I guess. :D

8 hours ago, Rah said:

She is the world's first third generational women's talent and they wanted to put that over. 

But that isn't even true since Nattie Neidhart and Tessa Blanchard are both third-generation. It might be true when looking only at women wrestlers (Samantha Starr is the daughter of Baby Doll, who is the daughter of Lorraine Johnson), but in that case, there's no need to bring up Grizzly Smith at all.

11 hours ago, El-P said:

Nothing to do with what-aboutism. Those are two points I think about regularly. Just a opportunity to drop them in the 'Comment that don't warrant a thread' (EDIT oh, well, the NWA thread, but really that's so much out of my radar I legit thought I was in the other thread !), much like much thoughts about pro-wrestling families in Japan and such. There's no big conversation about this issue that can be "muddied", especially considering you ended up making pretty much the same remarks anyway (gross, should have talked about Jake instead). I guess my first reaction is that I expected even worse, which says a lot about how much I think about the company (Tyrus, hi).

For sure, I agree here, and also read "deeper" into it than it was when I first heard the news. I'm glad it wasn't as dark as we possibly thought it would be (it's still not good) but, as you said, it's sad that that is where our minds go to with wrestling.

Corgan got his free press coverage, I guess.

5 hours ago, NintendoLogic said:

But that isn't even true since Nattie Neidhart and Tessa Blanchard are both third-generation. It might be true when looking only at women wrestlers (Samantha Starr is the daughter of Baby Doll, who is the daughter of Lorraine Johnson), but in that case, there's no need to bring up Grizzly Smith at all.

Exactly, which is what makes this entire ordeal more baffling. Add in that it was the "Mildred Burke" invitational and it should have been about the matriarchal lineage and not Grizzly at all.

6 hours ago, Rah said:

it's sad that that is where our minds go to with wrestling.

Yep. Although not only with pro-wrestling, I mean yesterday I learned about Scott Kelly from Neurosis and Win Butler from Arcade Fire... "Regarde les hommes tomber", as we say.

And really, there are things we just don't think about. I realize the frosplash is pushing it, because obviously the meaning has nothing creepy about it today, but there's no twisting around the fact of its origin and why Eddie did it, and at times, I have this flash of "Wow, do these people know the entire story ?". Another exemple of things we don't even think about : the NWA champ right now if Trevor Murdoch. A pretty good worker with a cool old-school presentation, who's named after a guy who was a really good pro-wrestler in the 70's and 80's, former partner of Dusty Rhodes and ... possibly maybe a member of the KKK. (although I don't know if the rumors were ever truly confirmed, but there have been a numbers of red flags) And really, this is the story, he's named after Murdoch as a tribute. It's like... ok. Maybe Hansen is a better name. Or Slater. I dunno. But I don't even think about this one usually, this just popped up in my mind because of this discussion.

• 2 months later...

It has become pretty obvious that Dave Lagana was the real brains behind the NWA. The one-two punch combo of the pandemic and Lagana being outed as a sex pest, pretty much killed this promotion dead. I loved the concept and execution early on…but now I wouldn’t watch this crap if you paid me. How anybody could possibly think that putting the NWA World Title on Tyrus is a good idea is just…beyond me. It boggles the mind. Losing Aldis isn’t going to help them any, but it’s pretty clear the problems run much, much deeper than that.