Pro Wrestling Only

NWA Powerrr

Coffey

1 hour ago, The Thread Killer said:

It has become pretty obvious that Dave Lagana was the real brains behind the NWA.

Which is a scary thought, because he's easily one of the profoundly dumbest people I've ever come across.

He's the idiot who admitted Nick Aldis was not their first choice, not their second choice, but their third choice to lead the company as their World's Champion. Eli Drake was their actual top pick (which is not a great choice IMO but at least he would have been world's better than Tyrus).

"But," you're probably saying, "nothing wrong with spilling some tea after you're out of the company." No, he said this while he was still in the company.

I used to have other examples, but they've been lost to time, because who wastes any headspace thinking about Dave Lagana?

P.S. I'm sure Billy is seeing all this attention for his MAGA sex pest Fox News Champion and pointing to it as a positive. Yes, we're all talking about it. (This thread hasn't been this active in a year.) No, we're not going to watch the NWA, purchase a PPV, or attend a show live - the only metrics that actually matter. In this case, controversy does not create cash.

• Replies 900
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What an embarrassing jackass.

Anyone who uses "woke" as a putdown is someone I know is operating with limited brain cells and/or dishonest intentions and bad faith arguments.

He belongs on the sex offender registry and in prison. Period!

More from Nick Aldis:

"I'm not trying to get into the political stuff," Aldis said. "That's not interesting to me. Politics in this country is very, very split. Very divided. And I'm a centrist. However, I feel like as a brand, you should do your best to be apolitical as well. ... And that's not really the meat of the matter. It's more about the audience [having] been telling them one thing for a long time, and Billy specifically has been disregarding them and doing the complete opposite, almost out of spite."

Aldis continued, detailing how he disagrees with Corgan's operation of the NWA. "At some point, it feels like he's sort of deliberately going against one the fans are asking for, and it just feels like a very spiteful approach. And I just don't think that it's got anything to do with business. I think it's just to do with ego."

Read More: https://www.wrestlinginc.com/1100874/nick-aldis-clarifies-comments-about-nwa-as-a-toxic-brand/?utm_campaign=clip

Basically once the Pumpkins blew up huge, Billy became an insufferable egomaniac that drove the rest of the band away but he seemed to take a specific interest in antagonizing D'arcy about her drug issues. Plus he jerked her around several times about including her in potential reunions to the point she's basically told him to GFY at this point.

The latest developments in the NWA are some of the most hilariously stupid shit in a while. Corgan ranting about "8 stars Dave Meltzer's kinda matches" and wanting to "appeal to the mainstream audience" while drawing jackshit and getting FOX News sex pest/mascot the title, while saying there are not enough talented women who can work the "NWA style". Holy fuck, they did not realize it at the time, but IMPACT has dodged a HUGE bullet back in 2016. Infinite sadness indeed. :lol:

On 11/16/2022 at 7:32 AM, El-P said:

Holy fuck, they did not realize it at the time, but IMPACT has dodged a HUGE bullet back in 2016. Infinite sadness indeed. :lol:

I swear someone cast a protect spell on Impact at some point, I've never seen a company in any industry be so bulletproof in spite of themselves. 

• 1 month later...
On 11/13/2022 at 9:23 PM, Autistic Dragon said:

Anyone want to bet me I can book a better version having only seen the pre-show and read reviews online?

Ok I know nobody took me up on this bet but I'm going for it anyway. I've got the preshow up in Armchair Booking with the main show going up as soon as tomorrow ( or whenever I have the time)

This actually sounds good:

Listen, we know it's hard not having regular NWA Programming to get us through the next few weeks until the very first NWA Powerrr LIVE. That's why we're introducing something new that we think fans of The National Wrestling Alliance will really enjoy.

On ‘NWA Presents…,' National Wrestling Alliance President William Patrick Corgan sits down one-on-one with true living legends to talk about their professional careers, the inner-workings of the territorial systems, and to offer exclusive wrestling memorabilia from the unique NWA archives; some of which has never been shared in public.

The premiere episode of NWA Presents will air Tuesday January 10, 2023 at 6:05 p.m. EST on the NWA YouTube Channel and will feature a discussion with the Universal Heartthrob Austin Idol. On this episode, Idol goes into great detail about breaking into the sport of wrestling during the 1970s in Tampa as well as his relationship with Eddie Graham, Dusty Rhodes, Jack Brisco and many more. Idol talks about his outlook on life after surviving a plane crash, along with stories that have never been recorded before. 

“This show is so special because it allows legends to tell an unfiltered story about the wrestling industry they came up in,” Corgan said. “What I really like is when I show off an old wrestling program or picture from my memorabilia collection and you can see memories rushing back to the guests on the show. It sparks conversations you would never get to hear otherwise,” Corgan said.

We hope you'll check out the premiere of “NWA Presents…” and let us know what you think!

• 1 month later...
On 1/7/2023 at 8:39 PM, C.S. said:

This actually sounds good:

Just checked these out, and unfortunately they are basically just podcasts. They’ve done two, Austin Idol and Tom Prichard, and it’s just talking with little to no footage. It’s ok for what it is but I was hoping for something closer to a WWE DVD release with interviews and matches/promos/angles. 

• 4 months later...

Just finished watching the latest episode of Powerrr and I have a few thoughts about how the NWA is being handled.

The first match was a non title bout between The Brothers of Funstruction (Yabo and Ruffo the Clowns) taking on NWA World Tag Team Champions La Rebellion (Bestia 666 & Mechawolf) w/Vampiro now replacing Damian 666. Towards the end, Vampiro lunged in the ring and broke up a pin in plain view of the referee.... and that didn't trigger a disqualification. Tim Storm on commentary can only offer "well he's a legend though" as a defense. Then a couple minutes later he gets in the ring again and lays hands on Yabo -again directly in front of the ref- and the match still continues. How much leeway does being a legend get you?

The second match has Ricky Morton who's a heel now apparently? Because he & his son Kerry lost in the Crockett Cup I guess? He doesn't really wrestle like a heel though aside from trying to hit on his opponent's valet. Also as far as I know, Ricky's only heel run of note was during the York Foundation which almost nobody remembers.

On the subject of the Morton's, what's the deal with the Southern "Six"? First of all, there's only four of them Alex Taylor, Kenzie Paige (who's also the leader of Pretty Empowered), Kerry Morton & Silas Mason. Ricky doesn't appear to be a member despite A/ having turned heel and B/ still teaming with Kerry. Now they seem to be making a running gag out of people pointing out there aren't actually six of them but that will only go so far. I don't get what the point of this group is.

The main event of the episode is EC3 defending the NWA National title against Mason. First problem with this is that both men are heels. Second they used basically the exact same finish from the Crockett Cup where EC3 tried to bring the title in the ring and Pollo Del Mar trying to stop him. They did alter it but in a way that frankly doesn't make sense. Instead of trying to pull the belt from EC3's hands, Pollo gets in the ring, shenanigans ensue allowing him to actually hit Mason with the belt. But what really bugs me is what happens after the bell, EC3 drops the title which Joe Daly on commentary says means he's relinquishing it to challenge Tyrus (who I still can't believe they put the top title on) at the anniversary show. When did they make that rule? I know if you can defend the TV title 7 times you get a world title shot but I don't remember it ever being said you could exchange the National title for one.

I have other thoughts but these are the ones on my mind now.

3 hours ago, Autistic Dragon said:

The second match has Ricky Morton who's a heel now apparently? Because he & his son Kerry lost in the Crockett Cup I guess? He doesn't really wrestle like a heel though aside from trying to hit on his opponent's valet. Also as far as I know, Ricky's only heel run of note was during the York Foundation which almost nobody remembers.

Ricky turned heel in the Crockett Cup, using Kerry's junior title as a weapon to advance in the first round.

Love Ricky finishing with the Canadian Destroyer here. I think Kerry's becoming a surprisingly great heel so far.

• 2 months later...

Billy Corgan says the NWA have signed a TV deal for next year.

"I can now say, for the first time, and I have to be a little vague because there are political aspects to this. But I can say that we have signed not just one, but two television deals. The announcement as far as where and who will be coming soon. We finally now will be able to move off YouTube, not exclusively because we still want to be able to do stuff on YouTube, but we'll be moving with a network partner. I have to be vague, I can't say who, but I can say it's a top 20 network. I've been working on this for over a year, not just one but two. Two totally different wrestling related products we'll be offering. 2024 is looking very bright."