Pro Wrestling Only

AEW Dynamite Week 8 - 20 Nov 2019

FMKK

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, that main event was so great. Moxley is astonishingly good at laying out matches and everything about this act screams “star”. The entrance, the gear, the swagger, even the music is perfect. Darby Allin matches are always going to be must-sees because when they tease something crazy, like that superplex onto the floor, there’s every chance that he’ll actually take the bump. Every potential, ludicrous big spot tease takes on far more meaning.

1 hour ago, Stiva said:

Darby Allin matches are always going to be must-sees because when they tease something crazy, like that superplex onto the floor, there’s every chance that he’ll actually take the bump.

This is so true. So many times you'll see guys set up a spot and you know something will happen to prevent it because you know there's no way they'll actually do it. With Darby, there's always a nonzero chance he'll actually do it. 

I'm probably the only one here on PWO that loves what they've been doing with The Dark Order in the past 2 weeks and I don't care. From the very beginning, we've wanted to have a purpose as to who they are and their end goal is. Now, in the past 2 weeks, we have a pretty good idea of what they're all about.

...So, where's the form for me to fill so I can join?

3 hours ago, SirEdger said:

I'm probably the only one here on PWO that loves what they've been doing with The Dark Order in the past 2 weeks and I don't care.

Non. On sera deux. Et c'est même pas parce qu'ils sont francophones, le côté "secte qui recrute avec des séquences de coaching/développement personnel" donne enfin une bonne petite backstory au gimmick. Faut juste aller chercher Guy Hauray pour faire leur manager, vu que c'est à peu près ce qu'il fait dans la vie depuis des années (ok, pas au point d'être une secte) !

Yeah, sorry, guys. Just saying I liked the vignette, it was kinda neat and finally trying to make something topical with the gimmick.

Nick Jackson vs Fenix and Darby Allin vs Mox were two terrific TV matches in two totally different ways. Darby does look like a must-see guys, like Cactus in his days. I wonder how many people know who GG Allin was though, much less I've actually seen footage of him... I guess most would be horrified ! :D

Jericho killed it again. Jake Hager was visibly trying not to laugh.

The Battle Royal was fine, with the nostalgia pop for Billy Gunn and a good use of him, really. MJF vs Hangman makes all the sens in the world, as Page will be able to present MJF in a very solid way (MJF is good, but Page is much better in-ring).

Shida is awesome, I'm glad she won so we can get Riho vs Shida in a near future which will probably be terrific. Dr. Baker should kinda turn heel, I feel it would fit her better than fiery babyface, and she would probably learn better than way. "She's a dentist" chant was pretty funny.

JR talks too much over the other two. Also, him calling Sonny Kiss an "enigma" was embarrassing, I guess he thinks he's some Goldust character... Tony still has all the best lines of the night ("He came with the bag, he's gonna leave in it.") and Excalibur is simply a great play by play guy.

Dustin on fire.

Luchasaurus really IS over. For a character who got actually murdered twice in two promotions, very impressive.

Liked Santana & Ortiz vs Private Party, although you can see how green PP really are at times. But it's ok, they are learning on the job and are over and spectacular.

I like how the show feels different every week, not worked at the same pace, with the same structure. PAC vs Omega next week should be a killer match. Potential best TV match thus far.

Alvarez and Meltzer made a point on radio yesterday: people are saying next week's line-up is PPV calibre. 2 months ago, none of the matches announced except for Omega-PAC would have been considered as even belonging on a PPV. It shows what a tremendous job AEW has done in putting over its wrestlers and making them feel like stars. 

18 minutes ago, C.S. said:

La vignette était bonne. Les personnages sont mauvais.

Ah ah ! Ouais, certe. On verra. (people are gonna get so confused...)

9 minutes ago, MoS said:

Alvarez and Meltzer made a point on radio yesterday: people are saying next week's line-up is PPV calibre.

Sear Center is their home base, so I can't wait. Should be the best episode yet if they play their cards right. I'm almost where I could believe Scorpio winning the title in a Lex Luger moment (although it should probably not happen, because short titles wins rarely help a young guy, while Luger was already bulletproof and over as fuck in 97). 

2 minutes ago, The Thread Killer said:

They made me take French in Grade 9, let's see how I remember it:

Maître, je dois tailler mon crayon puis aller à la salle de bain. J'ai mangé ma moto dans le hall avec un pamplemousse.

Grammatically absolutely correct. Doesn't mean shit but quite funny. :lol: 

I want Shanna back on TV and have her cut promos in French.

13 minutes ago, El-P said:

I'm almost where I could believe Scorpio winning the title in a Lex Luger moment (although it should probably not happen, because short titles wins rarely help a young guy, while Luger was already bulletproof and over as fuck in 97). 

The "young guy" has 15 years of wrestling experience, but I know what you mean and agree. 

AEW has a way to go but this is the start of a REALLY good wrestling promotion, in my opinion. I would prefer slightly less wrestling time and slightly more promo/angle time but each show has been entertaining. I would love to hear a Tony and Excalibur announced show but adding JR doesn't kill the product. Other than that I don't have anything negative to say about this promotion.

Darby Allin is getting over in matches he doesn't win! The Tag Team Division is presented as important and consistently delivers good matches. Wins and losses are not simply ignored they actually mean something making each match worth seeing.

6 hours ago, SirEdger said:

I'm probably the only one here on PWO that loves what they've been doing with The Dark Order in the past 2 weeks and I don't care. From the very beginning, we've wanted to have a purpose as to who they are and their end goal is. Now, in the past 2 weeks, we have a pretty good idea of what they're all about.

...So, where's the form for me to fill so I can join?

They will find you.

The crowd was incredible. That main event match was the first time in a very long time that I have re-watched a match immediately after it ended. There was so much to love: White-hot start, they looked like they were really trying to hurt each other, The hand-based psychology where Darby was able to escape the paradigm shift because Mox couldn't lock his hands up, that insane coffin drop -> reversal into a submission -> reversal into a pinfall spot... that was a f'n GREAT match. 

@ El-P and SirEd (and TTK): doesn't it drive you nuts when people keep calling Jericho "les" Champion? (I keep thinking of him as "the mushrooms")

10 hours ago, Slasher said:

I feel like Darby is a guy who knows he plans to get out of wrestling sooner than later so he is willing to empty the tank in every match he is in. He is the personification of YOLO.

I think it's far more likely that he's just a reckless fool and will be for the rest of his (probably short) life. The fact that he took his ring name from two famously self-destructive punk rockers doesn't exactly scream long-term perspective.

31 minutes ago, gordi said:

@ El-P and SirEd (and TTK): doesn't it drive you nuts when people keep calling Jericho "les" Champion? (I keep thinking of him as "the mushrooms")

Not really. Well, I'm a French teacher, so I'm used to it. [ø] is not an easy sound to pronounce for English speaking people. I kinda get a kick out of JR trying to say it and failing badly everytime. The way Jericho pronounced "celebration", with only the last part of the word sounding French, was quite funny. No idea where that idea comes from. I guess it makes him obnoxious. 

25 minutes ago, El-P said:

No idea where that idea comes from. I guess it makes him obnoxious. 

I'm just guessing here, but it might be a Canadian thing.  As you probably know, historically there has been a fair bit of tension in Canada between Quebec and the rest of the country. It's nowhere near as bad now as it used to be, but of course at one point Quebec actually wanted to separate from the rest of Canada, and some parts of the country (especially the Western Provinces) can be resentful towards Quebec for getting what is perceived to be preferential treatment.  It has also chaffed a lot of people historically that the entire country is required to be bilingual, with French on all government signs etc, when only one province is predominantly French.  This led to a bit of a cultural thing where sometimes, people from the West or kids would put on a mocking French accent or deliberately mispronounce French words, or over exaggerate certain phrases.  It happened a lot when I was a kid, and Jericho is pretty much the exact same age I am.  He grew up in Winnipeg, so it could be something he picked up there as a comedic affectation, I'm not sure.  As I said, it's just a guess.

Nick Jackson vs. Rey Fenix  912,000
Britt Baker vs. Hikaru Shida lost 50,000
Dark Order video/ beginning of the Battle Royal gained 13,000
End of the Battle Royal/ the beginning of the Chris Jericho interview gained 98,000
Jericho SCU, post match brawl,/Luchasaurus vs. Peter Avalon gained 21,000
Private Party vs. Santana & Ortiz lost 196,000
Post-match of Private Party vs. Santana & Ortiz/ Moxley vs. Allin intros lost 4,000
Moxley vs. Allin gained 83,000 (and Teenage Peak)
Finished 899,000

2 hours ago, NintendoLogic said:

I think it's far more likely that he's just a reckless fool and will be for the rest of his (probably short) life. The fact that he took his ring name from two famously self-destructive punk rockers doesn't exactly scream long-term perspective.

Maybe I'm just super optimistic and positive, but I kinda think he's doing these big spots now because he's wise enough to see that - like with the aforementioned Foley or Jeff Hardy - if you're going to base your career on crazy stunts, it might be wiser to do them in your youth and use that reputation to carry you into a less dangerous style where you can really make bank on your persona/character and all the merch that a character like Darby Allin can generate.

Of course, Foley and Hardy still took bigger risks in their late 30s than most did their entire careers (and arguably needlessly so), and both can still be viewed as somewhat cautionary tales despite the money they earned - Foley's is 54 but moved like he was 80 last I saw (unless the DDP Yoga has helped? Haven't really been keeping up with him) and Hardy's risk-taking behavior seems to exist on both sides of the in-ring/out-of-ring coin. So, yes, Darby Allin may need to look elsewhere for role models, but Hardy and Foley are also probably in the top 15-20 range for most successful wrestlers of the past 25 years - maybe even Top 10 - and if you're going to be compared to guys like that, it is really telling that Allin is already being compared to those sorts of acts rather than, say, Necro Butcher or Sabu or other guys that were kinda known for craziness but were also almost immediately seen as "too niche" or unmarketable or not what the WWE would ever want. If they could, the WWE would definitely sign Allin (and probably proceed to do nothing with him despite his marketability).

2 hours ago, El-P said:

Not really. Well, I'm a French teacher, so I'm used to it. [ø] is not an easy sound to pronounce for English speaking people. I kinda get a kick out of JR trying to say it and failing badly everytime. The way Jericho pronounced "celebration", with only the last part of the word sounding French, was quite funny. No idea where that idea comes from. I guess it makes him obnoxious. 

It's a straight rip-off of an old Adam Sandler character: