Pro Wrestling Only

WWE Hall of Fame 2020-21

flyonthewall2983

21 minutes ago, Robert S said:

I also got Stevie Ray and I am sure not all the Von Erichs wrestled for Capitol Wrestling/WWWF/WWF (obviously Mike and Chris did not; did Fritz ever work Capitol or WWWF? cagematch has no results for him there) Jimmy Garvin might also be a tricky one, cagematch only has two results on co-promoted Montreal shows for him.

Yeah, that's interesting Fritz never worked for WWWF considering his standing as a top heel in the 60s. His "brother" Waldo was one of Bruno's main foes over the years. Looks like the closest Fritz ever got was working for Vince Sr's rival New York promoter Kola Kwariani around 1959. By the 70s he was promoting in Dallas and not really in position to do a run in another territory. David and Kevin had one shots at MSG

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In Jimmy Garvin's case, with the Montreal shows, it's more that he was working for Lutte Internationale than WWF. Anything the Rougeaus or Bravo or Martel did back then was what was selling the tickets for those co-promotions. Vince used them to get his foot in so he could scoop up their talents for his expansion.

19 hours ago, Al said:

Abby is maybe the one person who NEVER wrestled a match for either of the Vinces. 

I found listings for Abby working for the WWWF in Baltimore in January/February 1975 against Manuel Soto and Pete Sanchez and against Bobo Brazil in Buffalo in 1971.

So, if we scratch him from the list, is Fritz Von Erich the biggest name to never work for the Vince's?

What about Bobby Eaton or Dennis Condrey? 

2 hours ago, Blehschmidt said:

I found listings for Abby working for the WWWF in Baltimore in January/February 1975 against Manuel Soto and Pete Sanchez and against Bobo Brazil in Buffalo in 1971.

So, if we scratch him from the list, is Fritz Von Erich the biggest name to never work for the Vince's?

Pretty sure Abby didnt work WWWF proper. The Buffalo date would be for the old NWF that ran the city for decades. Not sure about the Baltimore date but it would've been strange to bring Abby in for just one shot, and not even at MSG. I think one of the reasons he never got a run against Bruno, Pedro or Bob was Vince Sr was a little wary of using hardcore blood gimmick wrestlers after the Sheik caused a mini riot in 1969 at MSG, although Sheik did work Boston against Pedro in 72, so who knows. Can't see Abby turning down a chance to work on top in NYC, so it would seem like the hold up was on Vince Sr's end 

Edit: those Baltimore dates in 75 are interesting because they appear to be WWWF cards with Bruno on top. Wonder what the story is there. Buffalo show is definitely NWF looking at the card 

Just now, Blehschmidt said:

Depends how loose you are when it comes to Eaton.  He wrestled in both OVW and Memphis when they were WWF developmental territories, but never wrestled on an actual  WWF card.

I've got it in my head that he briefly worked as a trainer for OVW, although like several from that time period didn't stick at it for long.  I couldn't find anything to confirm that so maybe my mind's playing tricks on me.

3 hours ago, Blehschmidt said:

As I was interested about that, I went over the WON Hall of Fame and looked at guys who fulfill the following criteria:

(1) fully active in the 1960ies or later (I know that Capitol Sports is older, though the results from the 50ies are so spotty, that I would rely even less on them)

(2) in the Hall of Fame mainly for his (her) wrestling career (i.e. no Jerry Jarrett or Gary Hart)

(3) were based in the US or Canada for a significant portion of their career (i.e. no Japanese, Mexican or British wrestlers, except people Billy Robinson or Masa Saito, but not a Keiji Muto who was basically in the US as learning excursion)

(4) source is cagematch.net (which obviously is neither complete nor fully accurate, if you consider the uncertainty about some co-promoted shows or similar)

That left me with the following wrestlers, who are not listed as having wrestled for Capitol Sports, WWWF, WWF or WWE: Danny Hodge, Fritz von Erich, Bobby Eaton, Stan Lane, Dennis Condrey, Tom Renesto and the Sharpe Brothers. Though there are some people, that only have wrestled there at the very beginning of their career (e.g. Jody Hamilton long before he became The Assassin) or only did something like the legends battle royal in 1987 (like Lou Thesz or Nick Bockwinkel).

1 hour ago, GSR said:

Depends how loose you are when it comes to Eaton.  He wrestled in both OVW and Memphis when they were WWF developmental territories, but never wrestled on an actual  WWF card.

I've got it in my head that he briefly worked as a trainer for OVW, although like several from that time period didn't stick at it for long.  I couldn't find anything to confirm that so maybe my mind's playing tricks on me.

I am pretty sure he had a trainer contract with WWE (though if you would have asked me before looking up any results from him, I would have said it was Heartland), but was let go pretty quickly as it turned out the wrestling was too natural for him to be able to explain (teach) what and how to do.

On 2/19/2020 at 4:13 PM, Ricky Jackson said:

Pretty sure Abby didnt work WWWF proper. The Buffalo date would be for the old NWF that ran the city for decades. Not sure about the Baltimore date but it would've been strange to bring Abby in for just one shot, and not even at MSG. I think one of the reasons he never got a run against Bruno, Pedro or Bob was Vince Sr was a little wary of using hardcore blood gimmick wrestlers after the Sheik caused a mini riot in 1969 at MSG, although Sheik did work Boston against Pedro in 72, so who knows. Can't see Abby turning down a chance to work on top in NYC, so it would seem like the hold up was on Vince Sr's end 

Edit: those Baltimore dates in 75 are interesting because they appear to be WWWF cards with Bruno on top. Wonder what the story is there. Buffalo show is definitely NWF looking at the card 

Any particular reason Abby never worked New York?

Seems like he'd be a totally natural Bruno / Pedro / Backlund opponent for the normal loops at MSG / Philly. 

3 hours ago, JerryvonKramer said:

Any particular reason Abby never worked New York?

Seems like he'd be a totally natural Bruno / Pedro / Backlund opponent for the normal loops at MSG / Philly. 

Like I wrote, I think one of the main hold-ups was Vince Sr didn't like Abby's blood-in-every-match gimmick. When it came to blood, 70s WWWF was conservative compared to a lot of other territories

2 hours ago, Robert S said:

Wouldn't the same thing apply for The Sheik as well? He was a regular opponent of Bruno in the late 60ies / early 70ies.

Sheik had a run with Bruno in 68, it didnt draw particularly great (but nothing in the territory really did at the time), and, as I mentioned, he was also involved in a mini riot at MSG in early 69. I've read that soured Vince Sr on too much blood and craziness in matches. The Sheik was a HUGE draw in the early 70s and Vince Sr only used him for (I think) one match against Pedro in Boston, with no TV appearances. He didnt work the territory during Bruno's second run with the strap 

Sheik was banned for life by the New York state athletic commission in 1969 after the riot in his last match with Bruno at MSG, which is why he only worked against Morales in Boston. Truth be told, Abdullah is probably the last guy the McMahons would have booked as a challenger for Morales given how deathly afraid of riots they were during his time as champion.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/13/2019 at 2:41 AM, rovert said:

Jerry Lawler wanted Gordan Solie and was denied. Jerry inducted by William Shatner instead. 

OE:  Solie/Russell conflation was addressed.

At least it led to the hilarity that was the YOU DON’T KNOW HIM! chant during Shat’s speech, when it was clear the only reason he was there was Lawler’s fandom and one-off pair of segments (King’s Court and post main event shenanigans) on a Raw to promote his USA Network show Tek Wars!

On 2/18/2020 at 3:33 PM, Blehschmidt said:

I think "Legacy Division" is code for: these guys are dead and not important enough to our version of history to spend any actual time on them, but we feel like we have to acknowledge them or people won't shut up about them.

Ironically last year saw the induction of two living persons in that category, one of whom was able to show up and give a nice wave! ;)