Pro Wrestling Only

2019 Match of the Year

The Thread Killer

I looked around (not too hard admittedly, but I did look) and I don't see a 2019 MOTY thread anywhere here at PWO?  If there isn't one, perhaps we could discuss it here? 

I need to review all the shows I've watched thus far this year, but I am leaning toward WALTER vs. Tyler Bate from NXT UK Takeover: Cardiff on 08/31/19.  That is in close contention with Cody vs. Dustin Rhodes from AEW Double or Nothing.  Also let's not forget The Undertaker vs. Goldberg from WWE Super Showdown.

Anybody else have any picks, a Top 10 list, recommendations...anything?

Not keeping track at all anymore. So much greatness in pro-wrestling in 2019, I mean the G1 Climax only was ridiculous. From the top of my head, for how big it came off and because of which show it was on and how unique it was, Cody vs Dustin strikes me as a good candidate, although obviously some of the NJPW stuff was out of this world great again this year. Young Bucks vs Lucha Brothers ladder match was insane and maybe the greatest car crash match ever too.

Working on my master list for the end this year but these matches has been ingrained in my mind: 

LAX Vs. The Lucha Brothers (Impact Wrestling Homecoming)
January 6th, 2019

Strong BJ Vs. Violent Giants (BJW To Was Gat Early)
January 20th, 2019

Johnny Gargano Vs. Ricochet (WWE NXT Takeover Phoenix)
January 26th, 2019

The Lucha Brothers Vs. LAX (Impact Wrestling)
February 8th, 2019

PAC Vs. Kzy (Dragon Gate Open The Truth Gate Day 5)
February 10th, 2019

Jordan Devlin Vs. David Starr (OTT Homecoming 2)
February 17th, 2019

Momo Watanabe Vs. Jungle Kyona (Stardom World In Nagoya 2019)
March 3rd, 2019

Yuki Ishikawa Vs. Timothy Thatcher (wXw Ambition 10)
March 9th, 2019

Kota Ibushi Vs. Tetsuya Naito (NJPW New Japan Cup 2019 Day 3)
March 10th, 2019

Will Ospreay Vs. Lance Archer (NJPW New Japan Cup 2019 Day 6)
March 14th, 2019

Jordan Devlin Vs. WALTER (OTT Scrappermania 5)
March 16th, 2019

Violent Giants Vs. Strong BJ (AJPW Dream Power Series 2019 Day 6)
March 19th, 2019

Kento Miyahara Vs. Naoya Nomura (AJPW Dream Power Series 2019 Day 6)
March 19th, 2019

Kazuchika Okada Vs. Tomohiro Ishii (NJPW New Japan Cup 2019 Day 11)
March 23rd, 2019

Kazuchika Okada Vs. SANADA (NJPW New Japan Cup 2019 Finals)
March 24th, 2019

Minoru Suzuki Vs. Josh Barnett (GCW Josh Barnett’s Bloodsport)
April 4th, 2019

WALTER Vs. Pete Dunne (WWE NXT TakeOver: New York)
April 5th, 2019

Kofi Kingston Vs. Daniel Bryan (WWE Wrestlemania 35)
April 7th, 2019

Kento Miyahara Vs. Jake Lee (AJPW Champion Carnival Finals)
April 29th, 2019

Shingo Takagi Vs. SHO (NJPW Best Of The Super Juniors XXVI Day 1)
May 13th, 2019

Cody Vs. Dustin Rhodes (AEW Double Or Nothing)
May 25th, 2019

Virus Vs. Metalico (CMLL Juicio Final 2019)
May 31st, 2019

Will Ospreay Vs. Shingo Takagi (NJPW Best Of The Super Juniors XXVI Finals)
June 5th, 2019

Will Ospreay Vs. Dragon Lee (NJPW Dominion 6.9 In Osaka-Jo Hall)
June 9th, 2019

Laredo Kid Vs. El Hijo del Vikingo (AAA Conquista Gira 2019)
June 9th, 2019

Kento Miyahara Vs. Yoshitatsu (AJPW Dynamite Series 2019 - Day 7)
June 30th, 2019

Chad Gable Vs. Jack Gallagher (WWE 205 Live)
July 16th, 2019

Kota Ibushi Vs. Will Ospreay (NJPW G1 Climax Day 5)
July 18th, 2019

Jon Moxley Vs. Tomohiro Ishii (NJPW G1 Climax Day 6)
July 19th, 2019

Kazuchika Okada Vs. Will Ospreay (NJPW G1 Climax Day 7)
July 20th, 2019

Kota Ibushi Vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi (NJPW G1 Climax Day 13)
August 3rd, 2019

SANADA Vs. Kazuchika Okada (NJPW G1 Climax Day 13)
August 3rd, 2019

Yuji Okabayashi Vs. Takuya Nomura (BJW Osaka Suprise 42 - Strong World 2019)
August 21st, 2019

Will Ospreay Vs. Amazing Red (NJPW Super J Cup 2019 - Day 1)
August 22nd, 2019

Kento Miyahara Vs. Naoya Nomura (AJPW Summer Explosion Series 2019 - Day 13)
September 3rd, 2019

Kenny Omega Vs. Rey Fenix (AAA Heroes Inmortales XIII)
October 19th, 2019

David Starr Vs. Jordan Devlin (OTT Fifth Year Anniversary)
October 26th, 2019

Arisa Nakajima Vs. Nanae Takahashi SEAdLINNNG Dynamic Show Case! - Kawasaki Monogatari)
November 8th, 2019

Damn, @Tenese Sarwieh that is a great list...very comprehensive.  Thanks for posting that, there are a few recommendations on there I am definitely going to check out now.  I hope to come up with a list of my own at some point over the next couple of weeks.  Problem is, I don't really watch any stuff from Japan anymore so I know my list will have gaps.  At least with the recommendations from this thread, I will know the best matches to seek out.

Don't worry about gaps, TTK. You can only judge what you've seen/experienced. Just like the PWO Top 100. I didn't have like any Lucha guys on my list.

I think Cody/Dustin is the top of my list right now but I think the women's Wargames from NXT TakeOver is in my top 5. I guess I'm a mark for storytelling.

There's quite a few New Japan matches on my list, some of which I'll have to re-watch: Omega/Tanahashi, Ospreay/Shingo, Ospreay/Okada.

I didn't love the Starr/Devlin match, wasn't blown away by WALTER/Bate & actively disliked Cole/Gargano. Gallagher/Gable felt like just an above average TV match to me. I just watched Omega/Dragon Lee yesterday & the camera shit killed the match.

Archer vs Ospreay March 14th (which I was pleased to see made Tenese's list) was the best match I saw live this year. 

Darby vs Mox AEW week 8 is by far the match that I have most enjoyed watching on my computer this year. Mox vs Ishii from the G1 (also on Tenese's list) was probably my #2

I am tempted to nominate The Rough Riders vs Bill Ding, Jim Nasium, Tim Burr, & Ray Strack from the IPWF one-off Impact comedy/nostalgia show. 

1 hour ago, Coffey said:

I didn't love the Starr/Devlin match, wasn't blown away by WALTER/Bate

If I am being 100% honest and self-critical, I have discovered that I sometimes tend to overrate matches that end up surprising me.  If I go into a match thinking it's going to be really good, at times I almost set my expectations too high and end up disappointed. Going into WALTER/Bate I really didn't much care for WALTER and though Bate was pretty good (I liked those matches he had with Dunne) but I certainly wasn't expecting all that much from the match.  I felt it ended up over-delivering and I came out of that match almost surprised at how good it was.  I pimped it to a number of people, and ended up watching it a second time to make sure that I wasn't just over-praising it because I had expected it to be average at best.  I found it really held up and I enjoyed it as much the second time.  As I mentioned at the time, I almost got a 90's AJPW vibe from the match, and since I am such a huge fan of that era that is probably why it really grabbed me.

I have seen next to no NJPW from this year as I said, but I'd like to see that Ospreay/Okada match from the G1 that you and @Tenese Sarwieh mentioned.

24 minutes ago, gordi said:

I am tempted to nominate The Rough Riders vs Bill Ding, Jim Nasium, Tim Burr, & Ray Strack from the IPWF one-off Impact comedy/nostalgia show. 

I love you for that.

2 hours ago, Tenese Sarwieh said:

LAX Vs. The Lucha Brothers (Impact Wrestling Homecoming)
January 6th, 2019

The Lucha Brothers Vs. LAX (Impact Wrestling)
February 8th, 2019

Kota Ibushi Vs. Tetsuya Naito (NJPW New Japan Cup 2019 Day 3)
March 10th, 2019

Will Ospreay Vs. Lance Archer (NJPW New Japan Cup 2019 Day 6)
March 14th, 2019

Kazuchika Okada Vs. Tomohiro Ishii (NJPW New Japan Cup 2019 Day 11)
March 23rd, 2019

Minoru Suzuki Vs. Josh Barnett (GCW Josh Barnett’s Bloodsport)
April 4th, 2019

Will Ospreay Vs. Shingo Takagi (NJPW Best Of The Super Juniors XXVI Finals)
June 5th, 2019

Will Ospreay Vs. Dragon Lee (NJPW Dominion 6.9 In Osaka-Jo Hall)
June 9th, 2019

Laredo Kid Vs. El Hijo del Vikingo (AAA Conquista Gira 2019)
June 9th, 2019

Kota Ibushi Vs. Will Ospreay (NJPW G1 Climax Day 5)
July 18th, 2019

Jon Moxley Vs. Tomohiro Ishii (NJPW G1 Climax Day 6)
July 19th, 2019

Kazuchika Okada Vs. Will Ospreay (NJPW G1 Climax Day 7)
July 20th, 2019

Kota Ibushi Vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi (NJPW G1 Climax Day 13)
August 3rd, 2019

Kenny Omega Vs. Rey Fenix (AAA Heroes Inmortales XIII)
October 19th, 2019

Loved all of those. Thanks for the list. I wish I had kept track a bit. Those two AAA matches kinda flew under the radar because AAA, but yeah, these were two awesome matches.

Also, obviously :

Tessa Blanchard vs Sami Callihan from Slammiversary. Hell yeah.

In case anyone needs another list to work from, here's everything I had at ****1/2 or better this year:

Johnny Gargano vs. Adam Cole (2/3 Falls, NXT Takeover New York 4/5/2019)                           

Kenny Omega vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi (Wrestle Kingdom 13 1/4/2019)                                

Johnny Gargano vs. Adam Cole (NXT Takeover XXV 6/1/2019)                           

Shingo Takagi vs. Will Ospreay (BOSJ Finals, NJPW BOSJ Finals 6/5/2019)                               

Kazuchika Okada vs. Will Ospreay (NJPW G1 Climax Night 7 7/20/2019)                        

Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Will Ospreay (NJPW G1 Climax Night 17 8/10/2019)                                 

Walter vs. Jordan Devlin (OTT 3/16/2019)                           

Ricochet vs. Johnny Gargano (NXT Takeover Phoenix 1/26/2019)                         

Pac vs. Kzy (Dragon Gate 2/10/2019)                                   

Jay White vs. Will Ospreay (NJPW 47th Anniversary Show 3/6/2019)                               

Tetsuya Naito vs. Kota Ibushi (NJPW NJ Cup 3/10/2019)                           

Kazuchika Okada vs. Tomohiro Ishii (NJPW NJ Cup 3/21/2019)                            

Daniel Bryan vs. Kofi Kingston (Wrestlemania 35 4/7/2019)                                  

Yuji Okabayashi vs. Dylan James (AJPW 4/20/2019)                                  

Yuji Okabayashi vs. Kento Miyahara (AJPW 4/25/2019)                            

Kota Ibushi vs. Tetsuya Naito (NJPW Dominion 6/9/2016)                         

Momo Watanabe vs. Jungle Kyona (Stardom 3/3/2019)                               

Will Ospreay vs. Kota Ibushi (NJPW G1 Climax Night 5 7/18/2019)                                 

Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Kota Ibushi (NJPW G1 Climax Night 13 8/3/2019)                         

Kazuchika Okada vs. Sanada (NJPW G1 Climax Night 13 8/3/2019)                                  

Tomohiro Ishii vs. Shingo Takagi (NJPW G1 Climax Night 16 8/8/2019)                          

Kota Ibushi vs. Jay White (G1 Climax 29 Finals, NJPW G1 Climax Finals 8/12/2019)                              

Daisuke Sekimoto vs. Michael Elgin (BJW 8/24/2019)                                

Jordan Devlin vs. David Starr (OTT 10/26/2019)

Strong BJ vs VIolent Giants - Big Japan 1/13/19

Daisuke Sekimoto vs Yuji Hino - Zero1 9/14/19

Yuji Okabayashi vs Takuya Nomura - Big Japan 7/21/19

Daniel Bryan vs Kofi Kingston - Wrestlemania 35

I'm doing a best of Sekimoto and Okabayashi in 2019 list and it's fucking insane. Dudes went all out this year :D

1 hour ago, Jmare007 said:

I'm doing a best of Sekimoto and Okabayashi in 2019 list and it's fucking insane. Dudes went all out this year :D

I haven't had time to watch much AJPW this year. If they had any really good matches involving my boys Zeus and The Bodyguard, please let me know about them so I can seek them out. 

I also wish I had some idea which Harada and Tadasuke NOAH matches were worth going out of my way to see. It's cool to see my old Osaka Pro drinking buddies doing well in national promotions, but 2019 has probably been the year when I have had the least time to watch pro wrestling because of work and family stuff. 

Though, really, I still get a kick out of seeing any of those guys in pretty much any context. Tigers Mask working sub-ten-minute lower-card matches for All Japan under his real name is one of my favourite things this year. 

6 hours ago, gordi said:

I haven't had time to watch much AJPW this year. If they had any really good matches involving my boys Zeus and The Bodyguard, please let me know about them so I can seek them out. 

I also wish I had some idea which Harada and Tadasuke NOAH matches were worth going out of my way to see. It's cool to see my old Osaka Pro drinking buddies doing well in national promotions, but 2019 has probably been the year when I have had the least time to watch pro wrestling because of work and family stuff. 

Though, really, I still get a kick out of seeing any of those guys in pretty much any context. Tigers Mask working sub-ten-minute lower-card matches for All Japan under his real name is one of my favourite things this year. 

Maruyama has been a full time ajpw guy for around 3 years now, he occasionally gets a jr title match or all Asia tag match. He teamed with Zeus in may in an attempt for the titles.

As for bodyguard he has not been in ajpw much this year he missed the cc and was mainly in zero-1 and bjw teaming with sekimoto for the bjw tag titles. Sadly he badly tore his quad half way through the rwtl this year so forfeit the rest of the matches and has had to relinquish the bjw tag titles. But before he got injured there was a good match Vs Kento Miyahara and Yuma Aoyoagi.

As for zeus? He is one of the best guys in ajpw and is good in pretty much everything he does, he hasn't been pushed as much as he was last year when he won the triple crown but had a good cc, Vs okabyashi and Shuji Ishikawa as good matches. He is currently the ajpw tag champ with ryogi sai.

My moty matches for this year with a baseline cutoff of ****1/4 in terms of what I watch it goes 1.AJPW 2. NOAH 3.BJW after that it is very rare that I will watch any other promotion other than a one off match or from produce shows:

Hikaru Sato Vs Yusuke Okada Aoki Atsushi Tribute match AJPW 18/06/2019

Kento Miyahara c Vs Jake Lee AJPW Triple Crown Heavyweight title AJPW 24/10/2019

Kento Miyahara c Vs Yoshi Tatsu AJPW Triple Crown Title

Daisuke Sekimoto & Yuji Okabyashi c Vs SUWAMA & Shuji Ishikawa AJPW Tag Titles 19/03/2019

Katio Kiyomiya c vs Naomichi Marufuji GHC Heavyweight Title NOAH 10/03/2019

Kento Miyahara c vs SUWAMA Triple Crown Title AJPW 24/02/2019

Daisuke Sekimoto & Yuji Okabyashi vs Violent Giants c AJPW Tag Titles BJW Sekimoto 20th anniversary 13/01/2019

Hayata &Axiz Vs Yo-Hey, KENOH & Kaito Kiyomiya Noah 29/03/2019

Katio Kiyomiya c vs Masa Kitamiya GHC Heavyweight Title NOAH 01/02/2019

Kaito Kiyomiya c vs Kenoh GHC Heavyweight title NOAH 05/01/2019

Masashi Takeda Vs Toshiyuka Sakuda BJW Ikkitousen death match survivor 2019 BJW 28/02/2019

Kento Miyahara vs Jake Lee AJPW CC Final 29/04/2019

I did fall out of watching any wrestling during April so I missed a lot of the cc and the summer so out of even the promotions I watch I missed a good deal a lot of the matches are from the first 3 months of the year as that was when I was watching with regularity.

4 hours ago, Richeyedwards said:

Maruyama has been a full time ajpw guy for around 3 years now, he occasionally gets a jr title match or all Asia tag match. He teamed with Zeus in may in an attempt for the titles.

As for bodyguard he has not been in ajpw much this year he missed the cc and was mainly in zero-1 and bjw teaming with sekimoto for the bjw tag titles. Sadly he badly tore his quad half way through the rwtl this year so forfeit the rest of the matches and has had to relinquish the bjw tag titles. But before he got injured there was a good match Vs Kento Miyahara and Yuma Aoyoagi.

As for zeus? He is one of the best guys in ajpw and is good in pretty much everything he does, he hasn't been pushed as much as he was last year when he won the triple crown but had a good cc, Vs okabyashi and Shuji Ishikawa as good matches. He is currently the ajpw tag champ with ryogi sai.

Don't wanna hijack this thread so I'll just say a quick thanks. Much appreciated!

On 12/10/2019 at 12:53 AM, gordi said:

This is what I got with them involved.

Daisuke Sekimoto vs The Bodyguard - Big Japan 2/23/19 (not a great one but it's one of those "clash against my opponent until someone drops" type of fun match)

Yuji Okabayashi vs Zeus - All Japan  4/21/19 (this one legit felt like a freaking Kaiju battle)

Daisuke Sekimoto & The Bodyguard  vs Takuya Nomura & Fuminori Abe (Astronauts) - Big Japan 9/15/19

Daisuke Sekimoto & The Bodyguard vs Kento Miyahara &  Yuma Aoyagi - All Japan 11/21/19

Here's the full lists, not every match is a MOTYC of course, but it's just to make the case why these should really be considered as performers of the year. Specially when you consider their excellence in both singles and tags, with different people, partners and opponents.

Spoiler

I tried not to repeat any matches were both of them were involved (just kept the ones that worked as build up to Okabayashi vs Nomura).

Daisuke Sekimoto:

vs Kohei Sato - Zero 1 1/1/19
vs Ryota Hama - Big Japan 1/2/19
w/Okabayashi vs Violent Giants - Big Japan 1/13/19
vs Yuji Hino - Zero 1 2/2/19
w/Kento Miyahara vs Hiroshi Tanahashi & Yoshitatsu - All Star Battle
w/Okabayashi vs Violent Giants - All Japan 3/19/19
w/ Hideyoshi Kamitani & Akira Hyodo vs Yuji Okabayashi, Daichi Hashimoto & Takuya Nomura - Big Japan 4/30/19
w/ Okabayashi & Akira Hyodo vs Takuya Nomura, Ryuichi Kawakami & Kazumi Kikuta - Big Japan 5/30/19
vs Shinjiro Ohtani - Zero1 6/22/19
vs Michael Elgin - Big Japan 8/24/19
w/ Takuya Nomura vs Michael Elgin and Masaaki Mochizuki - Big Japan 8/25/19
vs Chris Dickinson - Beyond Wrestling Americanrana 19 7/28/19
vs Yuji Hino - Zero1 9/14/19
w/ The Bodyguard vs Takuya Nomura & Fuminori Abe (Astronauts) - Big Japan 9/15/19
w/WALTER vs Yuji Okabayashi & Yuji Hino - Big Japan 11/4/19
w/ The Bodyguard vs Kento Miyahara & Yuma Aoyagi - All Japan 11/21/19

Yuji Okabayashi:

w/ Ryuichi Kawakami & Kazumi Kikuta vs Hideki Suzuki, Takuya Nomura & Yoshihisa Uto - Big Japan 1/2/19
w/ Sekimoto vs Ryuji Sai & Jake Lee - All Japan 2/24/18
vs Shuji Ishikawa - All Japan 4/4/19
vs Daichi Hashimoto - Big Japan 4/14/19
vs Dylan James - All Japan 4/20/19
vs Zeus - All Japan 4/21/19
vs Kento Miyahara - All Japan 4/25/19
w/ Daichi Hashimoto & Takuya Nomura vs Daisuke Sekimoto, Hideyoshi Kamitani & Akira Hyodo - Big Japan 4/30/19
w/ Sekimoto & Akira Hyodo vs Takuya Nomura, Ryuichi Kawakami & Kazumi Kikuta - Big Japan 5/30/19
w/ Okami vs Takuya Nomura, Ryuichi Kawami & Kazumi Kikuta - Big Japan 6/23/19
w/ Kazumi Kikuta vs Daisuke Sekimoto & Takuya Nomura - Big Japan 6/30/19
w/ Okami vs Takuya Nomura, Kohei Sato & Fuminori Abe - Big Japan 7/16/19
vs Takuya Nomura - Big Japan 7/21/19
w/ Okami (Daichi Hashimoto & Hideyoshi Kamitani) vs Takuya Nomura & Fuminori Abe & Kohei Sato - Big Japan 7/30/19
vs Kohei Sato - Big Japan 8/25/19
w/ Shigehiro Irie vs Fuminori Abe & Takuya Nomura - Big Japan 9/25/19

On 12/9/2019 at 10:53 PM, gordi said:

I also wish I had some idea which Harada and Tadasuke NOAH matches were worth going out of my way to see.

Harada VS Minoru Tanaka from 3/10 for the GHC Junior Championship was pretty damn good. Not necessarily MOTYC caliber on a year like this but well worth checking out.

7 hours ago, Clayton Jones said:

Harada VS Minoru Tanaka from 3/10 for the GHC Junior Championship was pretty damn good. Not necessarily MOTYC caliber on a year like this but well worth checking out.

I would add the jr tag title match teaming with taduske Vs Ogawa and Suzuki from start of november, not motyc but a really fun tag.

My tentative top 30 with only the top 5 being for sure ranked:

1. Kazuchika Okada vs. Minoru Suzuki (NJPW Royal Quest 8/31) ****3/4
2. Shuji Ishikawa and Suwama vs. Daisuke Sekimoto and Yuji Okabayashi (BJW To Was Gat Early 1/13) ****3/4
3. Shingo Takagi vs. Will Ospreay (NJPW Best of the Super Juniors 6/5) ****3/4
4. WALTER vs. Tyler Bate (NXT Takeover: Cardiff 8/31) ****3/4
5. Blue Demon Jr. vs.  Rey Wagner (AAA Triplemania XXVII) ****3/4

Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Kenny Omega (NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 13 1/4) ****3/4
Kazuchika Okada vs. Tomohiro Ishii (NJPW New Japan Cup 3/23) ****3/4
Jake Lee vs. Kento Miyahara (AJPW Champion Carnival 4/29) ****3/4
SHO vs. Shingo Takagi (NJPW Best of the Super Juniors 5/13) ****3/4
SHO vs. Dragon Lee (NJPW Best of the Super Juniors 5/15) ****3/4
Rocky Romero vs. El Phantasmo (NJPW Best of the Super Juniors 5/24) ****3/4
Cody vs. Dustin Rhodes (AEW Double or Nothing 5/25) ****3/4
Big R Shimizu and Eita vs. Naurki Doi and Kaito Ishida vs. KAI and YAMATO (Dragon Gate Kobe Pro Wrestling Festival 7/21) ****3/4
Kota Ibushi vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi (NJPW G1 Climax 8/3) ****3/4
Shingo Takagi vs. Tomohiro Ishii (NJPW G1 Climax 8/8) ****3/4
Kazuchika Okada vs. Kota Ibushi (NJPW G1 Climax 8/10) ****3/4
Jake Lee vs. Kento Miyahara (AJPW Raising an Army Memorial Series 10/24) ****3/4
Kenny Omega vs. Jon Moxley (AEW Full Gear 11/6) ****3/4

Shuji Ishikawa and Suwama vs. Daisuke Sekimoto and Yuji Okabayashi (AJPW Dream Power Series 3/19) ****1/2
Zeus vs. Yuji Okabayashi (AJPW Champion Carnival 4/21) ****1/2
Konosuke Takeshita vs. Tetsuya Endo (DDT Wrestle Peter Pan 7/15) ****1/2
Kota Ibushi vs. Will Ospreay (NJPW G1 Climax 7/18) ****1/2
Jon Moxley vs. Tomohiro Ishii (NJPW G1 Climax 7/19) ****1/2
Yuji Okabayashi vs. Takuya Nomura (BJW Osaka Surprise 42 7/21) ****/12
Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Will Ospreay (NJPW G1 Climax 8/10) ****1/2
Kota Ibushi vs. Jay White (NJPW G1 Climax 8/12) ****1/2
Kento Miyahara vs. Naoya Nomura (AJPW Summer Explosion Series 9/3) ****1/2
Becky Lynch vs. Sasha Banks (WWE Hell in a Cell 10/6) ****1/2
David Starr vs. Jordan Devlin (OTT Fifth Anniversary 10/26) ****1/2
WALTER and Daisuke Sekimoto vs. Yuji Hino and Yuji Okabayashi (BJW Ryogokutan 11/4) ****1/2

1. Yuji Okabayashi vs. Takuya Nomura (BJW, 8/21/19)

2. Yuki Ishikawa vs. Timothy Thatcher (wXw, 3/9/19)

3. Masashi Takeda vs. Jon Gresham (Bloodsport, 4/4/19)

Other matches I enjoyed this year: 

- Ishikawa/Suwama vs. Sekimoto/Okabayashi (BJW, 1/13/19)

- Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. KUSHIDA (NJPW, 1/29/19)

- Hideki Suzuki vs. Timothy Thatcher (Bloodsport, 4/4/19)

- Konosuke Takeshita vs. Shinya Aoki (DDT, 9/1/19)

- Timothy Thatcher vs. Oney Lorcan (wXw, 10/6/19)

- Kazuyuki Fujita vs. Shuhei Taniguchi (NOAH, 11/2/19)