Pro Wrestling Only

The Jim Ross Is A Grouchy Hateful Vile Human Being thread

Loss

Someone might want to tell Jim that Reid Fliehr died the week before WrestleMania, not the SummerSlam panel.

I think he was just speaking socially on that one rather than being completely literal.

At first I thought the same thing, but when he brought up that he felt the "Well, at least he's around his friends" talking point was bullshit it sure seemed liked he thought SummerSlam was the event Ric went to as "therapy."

• Replies 847
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

^ I have to disagree. While I see your point about the "therapy" line, I think JR was referring to just the whole idea of bringing Flair back at all in 2013, especially in a party atmosphere like LA for SummerSlam. I don't think he confused Mania and SummerSlam, he was just speaking about how AT SummerSlam, Flair had been drinking with the boys, possibly trying to "have a good time" a little too much for someone who had lost their son just a few months earlier. As Flair is notorious for wearing his heart on his sleeve and overdoing things, the result is not a shocker - Flair getting quite emotional on the panel and arguably "too real" compared to the squeaky clean, PG-rated, canned publicity shoot they were going far.

• 2 weeks later...

The best part is the Spurs have like 2 American's on their entire team.

5. 6 if you count the Virgin Islands

Personally I cross my hands down across my body and bow my head. I don't think that's disrespectful. I never liked putting my hand across my heart even back when I was learning the pledge of allegiance in 1st grade. JR is such a fuddy duddy

• 4 weeks later...

From the post King of the Ring 95 WON. I thought this was interesting.

And you thought the WWF, because Jim Ross was on the booking committee, was finally into promoting talent ahead of size. Think of Ross' upbringing in wrestling. It was under Bill Watts who had to be dragged kicking and screaming by Bill Dundee into pushing smaller guys. Even when Dundee's smaller guys led to setting all kinds of attendance records in his region, when crowds started dropping, Watts blamed it on the idea that nobody truly believed Terry Taylor could beat Kimala and went back to what he knew best. He ended up out of business. There were many factors in that such as the economy in his region and the fact that it was during a time period when virtually every regional promotion was on the verge of inevitably going out of business anyway. Who he pushed at the end was at best only a small part of that. But it did point out that under stress, despite what had been proven within his own territory, he went back to his upbringing and what he knew best. WWF is in the same situation. Not as far as danger of going out of business but arena business is weak, perhaps at its weakest level ever. The Monday Night TV ratings are excellent. Hell, even when his company was going down, Watts always had excellent TV ratings because he put together great television. And you can see the philosophy. Yes, WWF has brought in a wealth of good young talent, some of whom undoubtedly will be superstars of tomorrow. And in comparison to WCW, the young talent looks great, although almost none of it was on this show. There were only two great wrestlers on this PPV, Michaels and Bret Hart. They were also the two most over wrestlers on the show. They were also two of the three smallest men (the other being Jerry Lawler, who even though his style looked outdated, drew more heat by far than anyone on the show) on the show. But when things get desperate, and the one and possibly only thing Dusty Rhodes, Watts and McMahon had in common was when things got desperate, they continually went to the cage match (the plethora of cage matches on house shows now is indicative of desperation) and the latter two thought the answer was to find some big heels to push, even if they at times lacked charisma. And in the case of those who did, it didn't work. What took place at this show was no surprise. Mabel is simply a generation later version of the late Ray Candy and Leroy Brown, both of whom Watts pushed heavily. In almost every business when things get tough, those in charge usually go to their instinctive upbringing. Watts was a big man and it's what he understood worked. McMahon's father ran a big man's territory. McMahon Jr. ran a big man's territory. Ross is still, instinctively and that's the key, a product of the Watts upbringing. Big isn't necessarily bad by any means. But big is bad in this case when big is being pushed regardless of quality and when the interest of the crowds have changed. The best crowd responses on this show came from the smaller and more talented men.

I think it was this thread where we were talking about this. Anyway, someone at DVDVR just posted it, so just to prove that I wasn't insane or making shit up:

https://www.jrsbarbq.com/blog/one-drunk-fan-spirit-squad-eddy-dvd-muta-hero-stone-colds-cross-country-road-trip

"Reading recently about the Great Muta, it reminded me of the time when I was on the WCW Booking Asylum, Er, Committee and I suggested that the handsome, young and talented Kenji Muta might make a great protagonist at some point in his WCW run. The look on the faces of many of my peers reminded me of what it must have been like when it was suggested to Caucasian wrestling territory owners that African American wrestlers be put into positions of prominence in the territory. I was passionately reminded that American wrestling fans would NEVER support a Japanese protagonist thanks to December 7, 1941 and the attack on Pearl Harbor. Forget that moment occurred almost half a century before as the idea wasn't embraced and never fully materialized. I just know that Muta was a star and without the face paint back in the late 80's the ladies in the CNN Center in Atlanta loved the guy."

Posted about this on Twitter earlier, but I can't think of anything that makes JR look worse than his rampant homophobia directed towards Pat Patterson in late 90s WWF. Every show that Patterson is on during the Attitude Era contains at least one JR gay joke at Patterson's expense. I'm sure JR thinks he's being hilarious, and so does McMahon probably, but it's cringe inducing hate speech that JR is pumping out as the babyface voice of the company.