Pro Wrestling Only

WWE TV 4/27-5/3 Whoops Forgot to Start a Thread Edition

sek69

2 hours ago, NintendoLogic said:

The Fiend seems to ruin everyone he feuds with. Rollins and Miz both had to turn heel after their programs with him, and Daniel Bryan ended up plummeting into the midcard. Bray Wyatt is a creative guy, but it's not the kind of creativity that leads to good matches or angles.

Eh, not sure were Bryan could've gone after that program considering WWE refuses to pair him in a feud with Reigns. Him being heavily featured and elevating others each week even during this pandemic is far from "plummeting", imo.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My biggest problem with Rollins right now is probably overexposure/overpush. 

Like, they pushed him as THE KINGSLAYER.   and then THE BEASTSLAYER.

This is some of the hardest they've pushed anyone in forever, and it sucks.  It sucks for a lot of reasons, and one is that I like Seth and think he should be a majorly factored in guy somewhere in the rotating mix of guys you feature.....he just shouldn't be THE guy.  And it's so weird that WWE ever decided to stick with him that long in that spot in the first place.

WWE over the last decade has become such a blur that it's kind of shocking to realize how long guys like Rollins and Reigns have been pushed on top now and never fully clicked.  Reigns I blame on the promotion.  Rollins, I just think he was perfect in the shitheel spoiler role he played back when he first turned heel and they've never gotten close to pushing him that well again....and other than being in that sort of role where he's a thorn in the side of the top faces I don't see him in a top spot working

He's also a guy I like better in tags, but I guess that ship has sailed.  AEW has shown how you can easily take two top singles guys, make them a top team, and then do something with that.  That's the route WWE should have taken to rehab Rollins years ago.  Hell, look what a hot tag run did for Daniel Bryan's career with Team Hell No, which then got Orton and the Shield involved, and the Wyatts, and the Rhodes....and it all boiled into hot programs all over. 

So yeah, at the end of the day I think Rollins is ultimately a victim of really bad booking.  But also being someone who is badly exposed sometimes by the bad booking, and who also doesn't do himself any favours with his online comments and asskissing and such

I just have to keep comparing him to Bryan because their WWE careers sort of mirror each other.  And while Bryan constantly finds a way to make himself interesting and relevant and make everything he does compelling, Rollins and WWE creative just kind of circle the drain together in and endless spiral of suckitude

3 hours ago, Mad Dog said:

He's also a bad main event face. Remember they tried pairing him up with Becky and stopped because she was actually losing overness from being associated with him. 

He got over by having fun sprints for the IC Title. I think that is a niche he is well suited for. It's when you need him to do that top card stuff that his lack of versatility in the ring starts to become an issue. 

Pretty much this. Also the anti-Roman thing is a good point - he could not swim on his own. 

His character not really changing is interesting because since the Shield broke up, I am not sure if he has had an actual character. The Kingslayer, the Beastslayer, Burn It Down, okay, but who is he? Why, for instance, is he the Monday Night Messiah? CM Punk's saviour gimmick really stemmed organically from him being straight-edge and having a perfect foil in Jeff Hardy. Why does Seth do anything he does beyond "someone scripted him to do so"? 

I think the endless Corbin feud last spring/summer also helped to kill his heat but it's just kind of forgotten about because the Fiend stuff was even worse. I also think everything on WWE kind of suffered last spring from the excitement around Double Or Nothing. It wasn't a perfect show but it was a super hot show and made people excited about wrestling just as WWE was having a really dull stretch of rematches on top that people didn't want to see. The fact that he reacted to that by being a prick online further dented his credibility with the sort of fan who got behind him the prior year.

I never got how Rollins went from being the dude who finally conquered Brock, the baddest guy in the promotion, to cowering in fear because a guy is wearing a scary mask. 

I know we’re supposed to suspend disbelief for wrestling, and I’m fine with that. But, when everyone knows that’s Bray in a scary mask, why is Rollins scared of him? He’s wrestled him before. He’s probably beat him before. Seth is a grown man scared of another man because he’s dressed “scary”. On top of that, Rollins is the face in that feud!  That’s some dumb shit. 

Johnny Gargano is quickly showing  (not unlike our boy Seth) that he's a lot more palatable as a douchey heel. Evil Candice was just as amazing as I was hoping it would be, even if her Disney fetish has to peek through with the name of her new finish.  Damian Priest should have a job for life doing voice over work for all the hype videos WWE produces going forward. Dude can sound like the coolest motherfucker in the room just reading a shopping list. 

Next week looks to be pretty stacked as well, but at some point we're going to have to come to terms with Charlotte being put over all the NXT women even if it means we get great matches leading up to it. 

It's interesting how WWE knows how to get over monster heels, who end up getting cheered because they are so dominant and competently booked most of the time. They also know how to take people with real babyface potential and make people not like them and sort of get them over as meandering heels. They can't intentionally book an underdog babyface to save their lives.

3 hours ago, Loss said:

It's interesting how WWE knows how to get over monster heels, who end up getting cheered because they are so dominant and competently booked most of the time. They also know how to take people with real babyface potential and make people not like them and sort of get them over as meandering heels. They can't intentionally book an underdog babyface to save their lives.

The worst thing about it is that the whole Daniel Bryan ascent seems to have broken their brains. So they think the way to get a face over is to book them to lose all the time so the crowd will get behind them as a rebellion against the booking. One look at the guy would tell you that Roman Reigns should work short and explosive matches that worked like his Shield hot tags and yet he was selling all the time and doing TV jobs to Kane and The Big Show as they desperately hoped he would get the fan sympathy cheers. WWE have had their good moments since 2014/15 but something about those Rumbles especially really did a number both on them and on the fanbase.

7 minutes ago, FMKK said:

The worst thing about it is that the whole Daniel Bryan ascent seems to have broken their brains. So they think the way to get a face over is to book them to lose all the time so the crowd will get behind them as a rebellion against the booking. One look at the guy would tell you that Roman Reigns should work short and explosive matches that worked like his Shield hot tags and yet he was selling all the time and doing TV jobs to Kane and The Big Show as they desperately hoped he would get the fan sympathy cheers. WWE have had their good moments since 2014/15 but something about those Rumbles especially really did a number both on them and on the fanbase.

Completely agree with the last sentence here. There was a lot of debate here about the 14/15 Rumbles with many saying the fan revolts were no big deal and just a bunch of noise. I always felt long term the constant trolling of their fan base would eventually catch up to them. It might not have been immediate but all the late 2013-2015 fucking with the audience cost them

23 minutes ago, Loss said:

The original idea for Sami Zayn when he came up in 2016 was to make him a Daniel Bryan that they were fully controlling. We see how that worked out.

This is where having no roster hierarchy comes back to bite them. You can have an underdog babyface who wins all his regular TV matches against midcarders but can't quite get over the hump against the people above him in the pecking order. That's the story AEW are able to tell with Darby Allin because there are clear people beneath or on his level for him to go over and there's a clear person above him, Cody, that he's working towards getting his big win over. WWE can't do that because they just have a midcard vortex and once you're in it, the fans lose interest and Vince blames you for not being over.

12 minutes ago, Strummer said:

Completely agree with the last sentence here. There was a lot of debate here about the 14/15 Rumbles with many saying the fan revolts were no big deal and just a bunch of noise. I always felt long term the constant trolling of their fan base would eventually catch up to them. It might not have been immediate but all the late 2013-2015 fucking with the audience cost them

Yeah, once you lose the trust of the audience so comprehensively, it's hard to ever get it back. Not that they're really made a concerted effort to. But honestly, even if they made drastic changes it would take years for people to fully invest in them because Vince is so flighty these days.

6 hours ago, Loss said:

I can't even say that they still know how to get monster heels over. Look at how they booked Lars Sullivan.

Anyway, just when you thought this company couldn't get any more tone-deaf, this is the actual tagline for Money in the Bank.

72102_MITB_2020_472x362_HTW_ENGLISH_(1)-

Also, about Rollins as a midcard IC champ: that also had some pretty terrible shit. Remember that Ziggler Ironman Match? And he giving out on Twitter afterwards?

His best role is as a tag member. It was the case with Roman, JJ, Strowman, and even Murphy. Got no time for him otherwise.