Pro Wrestling Only

WWE TV 05/18 - 05/24 The Last Dance was fucking incredible

KawadaSmile

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, KawadaSmile said:

lol, Nattie vs Nia vs CHARLOTTE FLAIR at Backlash.

The winner faces Asuka for the Raw Title.

Char not only holds the NXT Belt but is featured in the other two title programs. What the fuck.

Also, Nattie gets battered on Raw and is now fighting for a title match while Shanya is what, busy washing her hair or so? Why would anyone watch this company?

16 minutes ago, sek69 said:

Guess it's true that Vince doesn't see Shayna as main event material.  Perhaps Charlotte can win all three belts and create a women's triple crown title. 

So she can surpass Jumbo as well as Ric 

18 minutes ago, sek69 said:

Guess it's true that Vince doesn't see Shayna as main event material.  Perhaps Charlotte can win all three belts and create a women's triple crown title. 

If thats the case then me and Vince are in agreement.  Hopefully he figures out that Seth Rollins is not a guy who should get lots of mic time next.  

14 minutes ago, sek69 said:

She wins all three and it brings Nikki Bella out of retirement to determine the true owner of Misawa's legacy.

Maybe they'll go ahead with NXT Japan by sending her over there to beat Kobashi's old ass

Probably belongs somewhere else, but KawadaSmile pissed me off

I was never a big fan of Kawada compared to his contemporaries.  I actually liked him more when he was old and immobile and mean.  In his "prime" he bored the piss out of me.  Is that a hot take? 

1 hour ago, cm funk said:

Probably belongs somewhere else, but KawadaSmile pissed me off

I was never a big fan of Kawada compared to his contemporaries.  I actually liked him more when he was old and immobile and mean.  In his "prime" he bored the piss out of me.  Is that a hot take? 

IMO not quite the hot take bubba, but thanks for the shout out!

Also, I guess Shayna's absence from the three-way makes sense. I mean, Charlotte HAS to be featured somehow, Nia is obviously winning(I mean, she has to, right?), and Nattie is expendable.

Wouldn't put Liv or Baszler there just to be the fall woman, either.

Thought Smackdown had three good matches on this week (Styles/Nakamura, Bayley/Charlotte & Sheamus/Hardy), but I could not find myself caring about anything.

That Miz/Morrison segment was embarrassing. Not only was it typical WWE 'comedy' that exists only to pop Vince, but I don't think there's every been a segment where a heel mocks a face using comedy that worked. Heels are meant to be laughed at, not laughed with. 

Despite being one of the few defenders of the angle, the Otis/Rose storyline has ran it's course. 

Sheamus was a bright spot on the show. He was constantly trash talking the commentators and Jeff Hardy during his match. I hope they have big things planned for him. I've always wondered if Sheamus would of been a bigger star if he didn't have the name/look of a cartoon character. Guy could be a top level hoss. 

There was a time, when I was a lot younger, where I looked at the WWE the same way that I looked at the NFL or the NBA. It was like the best-of-the-best. The greatest basketball players went to the NBA. The greatest American football players made it to the NFL. The cream of the crop of professional wrestlers went on to then WWF now WWE. "You gotta go to New York." "Vince will make you a star!" How many wrestlers believe that anymore? You make a name for yourself elsewhere? WWE might bring you in & slap you on NXT. Maybe it would work out? But I doubt there's confidence like there used to be.

Of course, that wasn't accurate in the first place but at one time, you could make the argument that WWF was where all talent wanted to wind-up. The goal was to be wrestling at Wrestlemania. Like, kids growing up playing football fantasize about the Super Bowl. Little kids on the basketball court in the park aren't thinking about the Euro league or playing in the G League.

It wasn't just the Hulk Hogan WWF. Harley Race wrestled there. Ric Flair, Terry Funk, Dusty Rhodes, André the Giant... everyone that was anyone.

Nowadays though, the show just feels like it's nothing but jobbers, top to bottom. There aren't any stars. Trying to brand the company as the star, to me, has backfired. WWE developmental turned into another brand instead of developmental, with their own TV show where they basically just try to wrestle like every other WWE show. WWE created multiple divisions, or brands, or shows or whatever the hell you want to call them, to try to create competition... with themselves. RAW Vs. Smackdown. NXT invasions. NXT UK. And none of it works because it's all WWE & everyone knows that. They're not back to trying to have people jump shows again, like that shit matters. It doesn't.

I think the Charlotte Flair thread is interesting. Loss made a great point. When WWE does try to make someone special, like Charlotte, it backfires with some of the fans. She's "pushed down our throats" or whatever. But how many clean losses did the big stars of yesteryear take? Of course the business model has changed & there's a lot of hours of programming that need to be filled... but you used to have to PAY to even have a chance to see top stars lose. Now wins & losses & titles reigns don't mean anything. Being a champion doesn't mean anything. Braun Strowman is the world champion for crying out loud. Everyone that's anyone nowadays is like a ten time champion. Can people even name who the midcard champions are anymore? They job people out before trying to build them up & then wonder why they don't catch on when the perception of them is that they're losers.

WWE as a whole, top to bottom, needs a revamp & an entire overhaul. I don't mean changing the RAW theme song or the color of the ring ropes. The format needs to change. The direction needs to change. The personnel needs to change. Everything. That is if they care - which if revenue is still coming in & being generated, I don't think they will. But the stars aren't there. The shows feel like they're crumbling. Smackdown had a pretty good number this week, comparatively, but RAW did not. They're doing shows with no fans. Still trying to run PPV. But without live attendance, or live show merch sales, or even PPV buys as they killed off that revenue with the WWE Network. Where is the money coming from? All I see is the TV rights deals from USA & FOX & the Saudi Arabia deal. Which last I heard was now shaky (admittedly I don't know a lot of details there, some kind of pissing contest?) & I don't know how USA & FOX are feeling right now. But I would be surprised to see WWE get huge numbers on their next contracts, whenever that is. So maybe they will try to make changes sometime soon?

I get that Vince McMahon feels burned. Hulk Hogan with the steroid trial & then going to WCW (even though they brought him back). Steve Austin refusing the program with Brock & going home (even though they brought him back). The Rock going to Hollywood. Brock going to UFC. Even now with Roman choosing to stay away for health reasons & Becky getting pregnant. Even the people that they tried to make into big stars, that didn't get to that level, still feel like they're "leaving" - so I get why he's trying to make the WWE moniker the draw & not the stars. But that just creates a bunch of apathetic fans without any big stars. What gets the biggest reactions in WWE nowadays? A big return from injury or a superstar from another promotion like AJ Styles showing up, something like that?

I don't believe that professional wrestling is cyclical. If it's good, it's up. If it's bad, it's down. Right now, wrestling is pretty bad. Not just WWE but because of the pandemic, as a whole. It's hard to find current stuff to watch & follow. But WWE still seems to dictate the professional wrestling world. When they do new things, or try new ideas, you see those pop-up elsewhere. A good example being the Money in the Bank briefcase. Suddenly there were briefcases everywhere. Even New Japan has one. TNA did it. Small thing, but just an example. You've seen it more recently with the women. Every company has a female division now. Not a coincidence that it's after women main event Wrestlemania & WWE starts using them so much more predominantly. Not that women haven't been working in non-WWE places for a long time, especially in Japan, but now it's EVERYWHERE. Even companies like NWA knew they had to start with a women's division from the jump when they started NWA Power.

So when WWE feels lame, when it feels like no one there is special, when it feels like it's a waste of time, people won't watch. They won't spend money on it. Hell, even the discussion on places like here feels like it's dwindling. There's not a lot to talk about. The wrestlers suck, the shows suck, the company stinks. There's occasionally a pearl but for the most part, I think a lot of us that continue to follow due so out of habit more so than anything else. For several years, I continued to follow just so I could be up to date on current events & activities for discussion sake but I even lost interest in that. 

Anyway, I'm rambling...

• 7 months later...
On 5/19/2020 at 3:51 PM, Strummer said:

Was Rodman a legit fan?  I can remember in 97 when he called WCW the "WWF" in some interviews he did. With Hogan sitting right next to him

He said he grew up watching the Von Erichs on an episode of WWE Untold about the Malone match. Malone did too I guess, I vaguely remember hearing something about his mother taking the whole family from where they lived in Louisiana to see them. My guess is he became more of a casual fan, and mistakes like that could be chalked up to the WWF also having reached out to him around the same time. 

55 minutes ago, flyonthewall2983 said:

He said he grew up watching the Von Erichs on an episode of WWE Untold about the Malone match. Malone did too I guess, I vaguely remember hearing something about his mother taking the whole family from where they lived in Louisiana to see them. My guess is he became more of a casual fan, and mistakes like that could be chalked up to the WWF also having reached out to him around the same time. 

He also said “Luthor” instead of “Luger” once.  But that can be chalked up to the iconic DC villain being much more known of a mainstream “Lex” than the pro-wrestler.