Pro Wrestling Only

Bruce Mitchell Drama

MoS

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, NintendoLogic said:

I noticed the piece had a surprising number of typos, a telltale sign of a rush job. It felt to me like his priority was being the first one out the gate with his hot take so he could pat himself on the back for being a prophet if he turned out to be right.

I don’t know if he is one of those WWE Fanboys waiting to pounce on a major AEW misstep, in order to not just call them out for doing things they take shots at WWE for, but to shout “SEE!  THEY ARE JUST AS SCUMMY AS THE “EVIL EMPIRE” IS!” but yeah that seems about right for what he wrote. 

I use the idea that lesser public people and companies have been vilified for lack of transparency based on where we are right now in the pandemic, so I can see the “gotcha” mentality bubbling to the surface so they can claim “justification” if proven correct.

2 minutes ago, SteveJRogers said:

I don’t know if he is one of those WWE Fanboys waiting to pounce on a major AEW misstep, in order to not just call them out for doing things they take shots at WWE for, but to shout “SEE!  THEY ARE JUST AS SCUMMY AS THE “EVIL EMPIRE” IS!” but yeah that seems about right for what he wrote. 

I use the idea that lesser public people and companies have been vilified for lack of transparency based on where we are right now in the pandemic, so I can see the “gotcha” mentality bubbling to the surface so they can claim “justification” if proven correct.

Bruce is definitely not a WWE fan boy at all.

Bruce's long-held position is that the entire Wrestling industry should have shutdown completely over COVID concerns. 

Would be nice if the Mitchell stuff could be split into it's own topic.  I have nothing to add other than I've never liked that guy.  He's had shitty takes for 30 years.  I knew people would have questions about why/how he died, I have questions, but talk about f'n low rent and classless bullshit from a supposedly "respected" "journalist".  I'm sure more information will come out in due time, but can we wait til his fucking body is cold?  I guess 2020 wouldn't be complete without a good pro rasslin covid conspiracy theory

2 minutes ago, SirEdger said:

Wade Keller fired Bruce Mitchell today and issued an apology to the Huber family:

https://www.pwtorch.com/site/2020/12/29/editors-note-concerning-a-published-column-regarding-the-death-of-jon-huber/

Sad to see it come to that, but Bruce doubling down like an arrogant twat presumably left Wade no choice.

I assume Dave will scoop him up, which would be a disastrous mistake IMO, but he'll have to deal with those consequences (I could see AEW/Khan completely cutting off access to Dave - Meltzer Driver or not - if that happened). 

Just last month Bruce Mitchell just started working for Conrad Thompson's Ad Free Shows Subscription Service, doing a daily news update podcast.  "Bruce Mitchell's Wrestling Hotline." He hasn't missed a day since it started, but there was no episode yesterday, and there wasn't one today either.  I wonder if Conrad gave him the boot as well.

Not for nothing, but the podcast is hot garbage.  I stopped listening after two minutes into the first episode...which consisted of him bragging about his credentials. And the audio quality was shit...it sounded like it was recorded on a voice memo recorder, in an airplane bathroom, which had crashed in the ocean and was totally submerged in water.

6 hours ago, sek69 said:

Considering Dave mentioned he was talking to Tony Khan until 3am Jax time about ideas to honor Brodie for the show this week, I don't see him rushing to hire the guy trying to start conspiracy theories.

Yeah Dave and Bryan isn't going to cut bait with the one thing he has ridden his horse on for about 4 years.    And Bruce doesn't seem like a guy that will tow the company line for the good of the business.  Unless you can convince him how "best for business" it is.

The thing that worries me is that Bruce will get even more desperate and start following parts of the wrestling community that absolutely love to stir shit regardless on consequences.   I guess we will see what a uncontrolled Bruce Mitchell really is

Fuck Bruce/Snowden. I don’t give a fuck if you “can” print it. Doesn’t mean you should. 

On a positive note, the way AEW is doing their tribute is very very cool. Letting Brodie’s son “book” his own dream tag is so awesome. That show is going to be hard to watch, but I can’t wait to see it. 

I’m about the same age as Brodie and my kids are about the same age as his. I’m not going to pretend I’m some huge fan of his, but I liked him a lot. His death has hit me pretty hard. I’m just so sad for his family. 

If he had just said "Sorry, I fucked up", he would still have a job and would not be the most hated guy on wrestling Twitter.

Brodie's son being called -1 is adorable. He seems like wrestling is his entire life. 

I watched a Brodie-Kingston match from Chikara today. Man, Brodie was so so great for so so long, it's crazy.

11 hours ago, C.S. said:

I assume Dave will scoop him up, which would be a disastrous mistake IMO, but he'll have to deal with those consequences (I could see AEW/Khan completely cutting off access to Dave - Meltzer Driver or not - if that happened). 

What would he have to offer the Observer anyway?  I've never been a Torch guy as it is, but isn't Mitchell a columnist as opposed to a reporter?  The newsletter is Dave's baby and although the likes of Pat Laprade, Kurt Brown and Phil Lions have written pieces (usually obits or historical stuff) I can't see Dave being prepared to give over a section every week to Bruce, especially when Dave seemingly struggles to get everything in as it is.  I do remember the Observer having a columnist in the early 2000s (Ben something or other maybe), but it didn't last long, plus I read the Observer for Dave's opinions no-one elses.  Could he offer anything on the audio side of things?  I doubt it.  Even if Dave wanted to hire his pal, Bryan is clued up and savvy enough to know it wouldn't be good/wise business. 

Completely off topic, but I would be interested to know how the Torch does in comparison to the Observer.  Clearly not a metric to go on, but Wade has approx. 200,000 less Twitter followers than Dave and I never see the Torch mentioned on any forums I go.  Heck, this is probably the most pub the Torch has gotten since Moxley gave Wade his first interview after leaving WWE.

4 hours ago, MoS said:

If he had just said "Sorry, I fucked up", he would still have a job and would not be the most hated guy on wrestling Twitter.

Brodie's son being called -1 is adorable. He seems like wrestling is his entire life. 

I watched a Brodie-Kingston match from Chikara today. Man, Brodie was so so great for so so long, it's crazy.

I don't think he even needed to do that. He just needed to shut his mouth and leave social media for a couple of days. 

9 hours ago, GSR said:

What would he have to offer the Observer anyway?

Nothing IMO. But Dave loves Bruce and even named "The Mitchell Rule" (or something like that) after him.

I was thinking Bruce would be used more for the website - columns, podcasts, etc. - than the actual newsletter.

When I last subscribed to the Torch a few months ago, the newsletter seemed like an afterthought - it was 90% show results and 10% old news - with the website and podcasts in particular being the real focus. 

I have no idea if the Observer is the same way now. 

The Torch was much better a decade ago and seems like a shell of its former self now - at least if you're like me and only interested in the newsletter (Torch Talks, once the bread and butter, are nonexistent now) and don't care about podcasts. Needless to say, I didn't renew after the month was up.

I'd have to imagine, as others have pointed out, that Meltzer is well aware of how toxic Bruce is right now and, even if he was a reporter and not a columnist, I'm guessing most of his sources are going to steer clear of him right now too. Plus, what sources would Mitchell have that Meltzer wouldn't? 

And if Dave wanted to bring in a columnist to share their opinion in longform columns, he could probably find someone as good, with as much knowledge, with as good writing skill on this very forum - and not cost himself any subscribers in the process. If there was once the feeling that no articulate, self-respecting writer would ever cover pro-wrestling, that died at least a decade and a half ago. In fact, to me, the real missing piece is a centralized hub where quality writers can converge to share their longform opinions/columns that isn't a cesspool of Bray Wyatt fanfic and repetitive "They Should Push ____" rants. Basically The Ringer but for wrestling and with the option for fan-submitted content that was vetted/edited.

Does anyone know if this was Mitchell's main source of income? Not to say he didn't deserve to be fired because I think he did, but, I'm just curious considering that major newspapers are downsizing and putting lots and lots of reporters/columnists on the unemployment line.

7 minutes ago, DMJ said:

Does anyone know if this was Mitchell's main source of income? Not to say he didn't deserve to be fired because I think he did, but, I'm just curious considering that major newspapers are downsizing and putting lots and lots of reporters/columnists on the unemployment line.

He used to be a school teacher, but he is retired now. Dylan had a really good line about it on Twitter and it got a genuine LOL out of me -