Grimmas

• Replies 627
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

44 minutes ago, El-P said:

I haven't watched a Toyota match in eons, maybe 15 years, but from there I don't see where the analogy comes from. I would definitely vote for both though, but Toyota would need a serious rewatch, like all the classic joshi candidates really.

Maybe I haven't watched enough Omega, but isn't the case for him the long epics with insane moves and elite athleticism and DM 5 star classics? That's the exact case for Toyota too.

21 minutes ago, Grimmas said:

Maybe I haven't watched enough Omega, but isn't the case for him the long epics with insane moves and elite athleticism and DM 5 star classics? That's the exact case for Toyota too.

Ok, yes, from that point of view, sure.

But since I'm used to people shitting on Omega for "lacking psychology", which is like the most ridiculous thing ever, I was half-reading the analogy as something of the sort, since Toyota has been categorized as a go-go-go worker (which she is, from recollection, but that's not a criticism in itself as I put Flair & Angle in the exact same "category").

Not sure yet if I'm up to doing a top 100, but I already have a few ideas of watching/rewatching in mind : classic joshi (80's & 90's), focus on Daniel Bryan (which is a huge black spot for me apart from the most famous WWE stuff), revisit older Terry Funk, explore lucha libre, explore the French catch stuff, follow closely the best modern stuff (and check out some classics from the late 00's/early 10's, and yes I mean NJPW, not WWE). That's for a basis.

I have no desire to re-watch any Ric Flair match for the tenth time nor anything from 80's or 90's US pro-wrestling for that matter (nor TNA !!!! that's a done deal and provide arguments for guys like Styles, Angle maybe Daniels too...).

Already started diving a bit in to watching stuff, I think Sam said it best where he views every match he watches as a piece of the puzzle that is GWE. Just over the last week I have watched 80's AJW, early ZERO-ONE, part of Henry's Hall of Pain run, BattlARTS and just a lot from all over the gambit of pro wrestling. It's been fun so far and I look forward to some deeper dives once I narrow through some of the variety!

24 minutes ago, TannerT said:

Already started diving a bit in to watching stuff, I think Sam said it best where he views every match he watches as a piece of the puzzle that is GWE. Just over the last week I have watched 80's AJW, early ZERO-ONE, part of Henry's Hall of Pain run, BattlARTS and just a lot from all over the gambit of pro wrestling. It's been fun so far and I look forward to some deeper dives once I narrow through some of the variety!

Watching everything in that view I know all too well. Everything before 2016 was in that mode, then took a break, now everything is again. It's fascinating and I do kind of love it.

On 3/7/2021 at 7:23 PM, TannerT said:

Do want to quickly note that this doesn't add some pressure or what not to my watching. I need some sort of funnel for pretty much everything I enjoy. If it is a game, I either will be writing throwing at least 500 words at it on a forum thread or listening to a podcast on it. If it is movie I am going to Letterboxd it and each movie is part of my understanding of movies. Sometimes it adds little, sometimes it adds a lot.

Want to get ahead of anyone thinking "seems like a terrible way to watch wrestling" when in reality it helps me squeeze value out of something that likely wouldn't and gives me a lens for viewing even the great stuff.

37 minutes ago, concrete1992 said:

Do want to quickly note that this doesn't add some pressure or what not to my watching. I need some sort of funnel for pretty much everything I enjoy. If it is a game, I either will be writing throwing at least 500 words at it on a forum thread or listening to a podcast on it. If it is movie I am going to Letterboxd it and each movie is part of my understanding of movies. Sometimes it adds little, sometimes it adds a lot.

Want to get ahead of anyone thinking "seems like a terrible way to watch wrestling" when in reality it helps me squeeze value out of something that likely wouldn't and gives me a lens for viewing even the great stuff.

Not to mention focus on what to watch, there is so much sometimes it's overwhelming.

In almost the opposite way, it allows me to dabble for a week in early 2000s Zero1 then bounce to 80s lucha and then watch 2016 ROH TV. I can do little dives but also because the goal is so broad, I don't have to worry about burning myself out. Right now I'm going through 80s NJPW but I know by the time I watch 5 Inoki vs. Hansen matches I'm going to want something different.

I watched 3 TV matches between Pat Patterson and Johnny Rodz from 1980 last night. I'm not 100% sure I would have done that if I wasn't thinking about this stuff. But I'm also in the middle of a comprehensive 1989 AJPW (as in everything) watch and I'm not about to stop watching whatever Shinichi Nakano vs Isao Takagi handheld match (hypothetical, that doesn't actually exist) I would have watched as part of that for this even though neither would make my list. I think it's additive and not subtractive right now, is what I'd say.

On 3/9/2021 at 10:20 AM, concrete1992 said:

If it is movie I am going to Letterboxd it and each movie is part of my understanding of movies. Sometimes it adds little, sometimes it adds a lot.

If you don't mind, link me to your Letterboxd. If you'd rather not do it in public, feel free to PM me. I am an avid moviegoer and Letterboxd user myself.

As for the GWE, I didn't join in 2016 and probably won't in 2026 because it seems like way too much of a time commitment to be fun to me. I admire everyone else's dedication though. Just don't let it suck the enjoyment out of wrestling for you (which seemed to be the case for a few folks).

4 hours ago, C.S. said:

If you don't mind, link me to your Letterboxd. If you'd rather not do it in public, feel free to PM me. I am an avid moviegoer and Letterboxd user myself.

As for the GWE, I didn't join in 2016 and probably won't in 2026 because it seems like way too much of a time commitment to be fun to me. I admire everyone else's dedication though. Just don't let it suck the enjoyment out of wrestling for you (which seemed to be the case for a few folks).

No worries, always looking for folks to follow https://letterboxd.com/concrete/

And I hear where you are coming from but given we are five years I think that takes some of the burden off feeling like I have to always be ON. Like there is a 50% chance I do a podcast series on Ra King Ka which I assume will not be helpful for GWE but it will be something I enjoy and it isn't like I don't have time. There is a good chance if I tried using every free moment of time towards GWE over the next five years I would die internally and externally.

9 hours ago, El-P said:

And there goes the n°1 vote for Christian...

Keep mentioning this in every thread and I might just join the GWE and start a tweet campaign to get Christian voted #1. :P 

8 hours ago, concrete1992 said:

No worries, always looking for folks to follow https://letterboxd.com/concrete/

I just gave you a follow. Similar name on Letterboxd so look for that.

I love "Crazy, Stupid, Love." but you're right that the babysitter subplot is absolutely bonkers, haha. That would never make into in a movie today, so it's crazy to think this was released only ten years ago. 

8 hours ago, concrete1992 said:

And I hear where you are coming from but given we are five years I think that takes some of the burden off feeling like I have to always be ON. Like there is a 50% chance I do a podcast series on Ra King Ka which I assume will not be helpful for GWE but it will be something I enjoy and it isn't like I don't have time. There is a good chance if I tried using every free moment of time towards GWE over the next five years I would die internally and externally.

All good points, but the way people talk about the last one, you'd think they were exhausted war veterans who just emerged from the battlefield after barely surviving the conflict that tipped the scales of all they fought for.

On 3/5/2021 at 12:42 PM, Grimmas said:

We can do this, but I need guest writers for articles. If people want to commit.

I am not promising to do it during this calendar year, necessarily (We have a bunch of years ahead of us) but having forced this zine into the world, I would be willing to write two sorts of articles now and again: "The Case For" and "The Case Against".

As in "The Case for Negro Casas" and "The Case Against Brock Lesnar"

1 hour ago, Grimmas said:

I felt drained after GWE for two reasons, 1) I was running it 2) it wasn't the process, it was people whining about the results and then going on rants about how it was a failure and waste of time, etc... 

I was baffled by the folks who declared it a negative, draining experience in the immediate aftermath (not you Steven; I understand your POV). The GWE years were the most fun I had on this board, and I'm hoping the 2026 go-round will nudge me to re-engage. There was a natural exhale at the end of it and a sense that a lot of conversations had culminated. But I was always sorry that it turned into a gloomy slog for some, because it was the opposite for me. 

38 minutes ago, Childs said:

I was baffled by the folks who declared it a negative, draining experience in the immediate aftermath (not you Steven; I understand your POV). The GWE years were the most fun I had on this board, and I'm hoping the 2026 go-round will nudge me to re-engage. There was a natural exhale at the end of it and a sense that a lot of conversations had culminated. But I was always sorry that it turned into a gloomy slog for some, because it was the opposite for me. 

I agree with this 1000%

I should write the "Case against selling, psychology and storytelling used as magic words to defend mediocre shit" and the "Case for moves and pro-wrestling as an anti-psychologic, anti-narrative, free-form musical-like way of producing an acceptable form of aesthetic greatness"