Pro Wrestling Only

Survivor Series 2021

El-P

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

25 minutes ago, KawadaSmile said:

Cena got to announce it on RAW, but The Rock got to announce it before Obama himself. Still one of the wildest fucking things to happen.

The HBO show The Newsroom actually referenced Rock's announcement (and I think, but could be wrong, made a joke about Triple H in the process).

If you're not familiar with it, it starred Jeff Daniels and featured a bunch of other big names - such as Sam Waterson and Jane Fonda.

I never really took to the show though, because it was so hamfisted, clumsy, and thought it was way smarter than it really was. A pity, because Jeff Daniels is amazing and the rest of the great was great too. 

Maybe I'll give it another chance one day.

Just came here to confess that even though I've seen the movie, I thought it was a Gooker call-back. Beat me to the reference by a minute, @El-P! Even after Roman left Vince's office, I didn't make the connection to the movie I'd seen a week earlier, becase a) I couldn't understand Vince's deteriorating voice and b) the movie was largely turd and obviously, forgettable. It was only the posters here who made me realise it.:blink:

10 hours ago, NintendoLogic said:

Same energy.

After that episode aired, in an Office fan group (I think it was on the TelevisionWithoutPity forum) someone wondered if that Sbarro would be getting tourist trap attention.  I replied that you probably can’t quite make out the street corner (pre-Google Map Street view (though to be fair, probably was close to Rockefeller Plaza since they filmed there)), and the joke is that the chain was at the time so ubiquitous (like a Starbucks or McDonald’s), that you couldn’t go that far in that area without seeing several around.

8 hours ago, C.S. said:

The HBO show The Newsroom actually referenced Rock's announcement (and I think, but could be wrong, made a joke about Triple H in the process).

Yup.  It referenced The Rock’s tweet earlier in the day about a major piece of news coming out that everyone hears about at a party.  A high and drunk friend of the staff kept saying that it was a wrestling thing, that was setting up a Rock-Triple H match at the next Wrestlemania.

The issue with the show is that brand vs. brand means nothing to hardcore fans, especially because the rosters changed just under a month before the PPV. On top of that, the running theme of the PPV was an advert for Red Notice which led to a nonsensical explanation for Austin Theory to receive a championship opportunity. Even getting away from that, the Survivor Series matches just went too long when you consider the entrances. For instance the men's Survivor Series match lasted 45 minutes from the entrance to Rollins walking up the ramp victorious. When you book long matches you have to consider the emotional investment of the audience and the pacing of the show. I think if they cut the match in half it would have improved the show dramatically.

Especially because the trope of uneasy alliances has been done to death in the company. I think fans would much prefer if you just saw two teams giving it their all to make a name for themselves.

Then with stars like Lashley, Rollins, McIntyre etc. you can have them face off against one another in other matches. You can book it as the last time these superstars get to settle their scores before the rosters are locked in place and make a name for themselves on their brand.

Still, the show wasn't an utter waste of time and I completely agree with you KawadaSmile that those matches were really enjoyable. Charlotte-Becky especially was as tense and personal a match I've seen this year.

Brand vs. brand doesn't mean anything to WWE either. They can promote "brand supremacy" all they want but at the end of the day they have to keep multiple parties happy and they can't actually come out of it with anything other than 50/50 booking. More so than usual.

5 hours ago, Big Pete said:

Especially because the trope of uneasy alliances has been done to death in the company. I think fans would much prefer if you just saw two teams giving it their all to make a name for themselves.

The funny thing is the company is clearly aware too, since they had Cora Jade do that promo about "can they coexist" being so tired and lame.