Pro Wrestling Only

Survivor Series 2021

El-P

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll check this out in chunks while I jog on the treadmill as I usually do...

- I'm of the belief that the Becky/Charlotte "shoot" thing is mostly a work. Based on interviews from months ago, when Charlotte is relatively out of character (like she was when she did Renee Young's podcast), she admits that her and Becky aren't super close anymore but they're both obviously in serious relationships and not in the same place they were 2 years ago, let alone 5. I give them credit for trying to build this up as something you have to see because they might go "off script" because there are definitely people buying into it. I think the element missing, though, as compared to Survivor Series 97' and even Money in the Bank 2011 (Punk/Cena) is actual stakes/threat of leaving. It might have been overdone, but Lynch saying something like "Win or lose, I'm gonna beat your ass and then I'm going home to be a mom again" or Flair saying "I've done it all here and it seems like I'm no longer appreciated so, after Survivor Series, I'm going to go find some new competition" would've added even more intrigue. 

- Big E/Reigns and Nakamura/Priest are matches that, on paper, are things that I should be psyched about...but, again, the lack of real stakes don't have me very buzzed. I really feel like Big E could've been built up as the guy to topple Reigns at WrestleMania but that would've meant a lengthy storyline with twists and turns and character growth like that other company do. WWE is too lazy for that so they just gave Big E the title win on TV and called it a day. Now, I'm not really invested in his climb anymore because he's reached the top. Nakamura/Priest is to me a match that would be/should be good - like Sheamus/Priest was a month ago - though Nakamura is much less consistent than Sheamus these days. Still, again, on paper, it feels like a match that could be hard-hitting and physical and fun but probably will underwhelm, which is sadly almost a full encapsulation of Nakamura's WWE run.

- There's a 25 person interbrand battle royal on this show? Why? To me it reads that this company is so out of ideas, they can't even make it till the Royal Rumble to basically have a Royal Rumble match on their show. And maybe I missed it, but what does the winner even get? A personalized tweet from The Rock? 

25 minutes ago, DMJ said:

I give them credit for trying to build this up as something you have to see because they might go "off script" because there are definitely people buying into it.

Are there really ? I mean, to me if you've reached the point where the only intrigue comes down to try to sell "What are they gonna do now, improvise ?", you're totally creatively bankrupt. To me this is nothing like Bret vs Shawn where the animosity was real but there was no "shoot" aspect to the angle before the actual shoot screwjob or Punk vs Cena which was just a super compelling angle but never a "wink wink this is real" moment. I only mentioned it in jest because indeed that's the only thing even approaching "compelling" about this show, which tells the whole story of how bad the booking is. Plus, there's a good chance they'll have a decent match and do jackshit special about it too.

I suppose it says something about WWE where "Charlotte has lost her temper and got unprofessional against people she had no beef with before, what will happen when she faces someone she doesn't like?" is where they're at now with booking. 

Also Roman/Big E will undoubtedly bang since E has been saying on Twitter he wants this match to prove he's worthy of a WM main event spot. 

I think I am generally more positive than negative, but I don't think it's hyperbole to say this is one of the most difficult eras to be Actually Excited About WWE. They keep getting rid of some of my favorite guys in needlessly mean ways, and it's hard to keep enjoying that kind of company. I don't know much of this card as I haven't been even skimming a lot of their TV for a couple months, BUT...as always I hope for a good show:

https://segundacaida.blogspot.com/2021/11/wwe-survivor-series-live-blog-112121.html

I honestly forgot Survivor Series was tonight. I’ve got Peacock, so I turned it on since it’s there. Does the winner of the Survivor Series match get anything other than bragging rights? Wish they would add something kind of like what MLB did for the all star game. Maybe winning brand gets the rights to #30 spot in the Royal Rumble.