Pro Wrestling Only

AEW TV - April 6/8 2022

MoS

7 hours ago, Jmare007 said:

This Yuta angle can't be described as anything other than a home run. Everyone involved nailed it and made it work in the span of 3 weeks, lol.

Yep. Most efficient angle I've seen in term of ratio in a long-ass time. Yuta was the guy in the background of Best Friends. He's a now a legit crowd favorite who's having terrific matches with key players. Masterful booking and execution by all.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The people had no reason to give a shit about Yuta when the PAC match happened, since as stated he was just the dude in the with Best Friends. To see the reaction he gets now is a master class in how to elevate someone in a short period of time. 

21 hours ago, KawadaSmile said:

Bruh turn them heel but please be done with the ATT program. Give Scorpio his decisive win and let the Sour Couple to be the heels they absolutely can be.

This isn't a face tweet IMO.

Yes, it's the Cody tweet, but the context here is so heelish.

Rampage did its best 18-49 number in 6 months and completely inverted its usual pattern of ratings crashing in the last 30 mins. Part of that is Mox, who is a big star and really underrated around these parts, but apart from that, this Yuta angle has just been an unqualified success. Went from losing viewers in a mid match with PAC to a star within a few weeks. They should choose the next wrestler to join the Blackpool Combat Club very carefully, cuz they have a gold mine of an angle in terms of hot matches/segments and creating new stars, and should utilise it carefully so it has the most effect. Maybe they take Jungle Boy away from Christian and Luchasaurus, make the pretty boy more violent? Lee Moriarty is another option. 

4 hours ago, MoS said:

Maybe they take Jungle Boy away from Christian and Luchasaurus, make the pretty boy more violent? 

Dunno, Jungle Boy seems like he's in the perfect role already. Dude is good looking AND likeable, he is the archetypal babyface. Not only that, I find Luchasaurus is more valuable as a tag wrestler. If he loses his partner, he's probably going to get lost in the shuffle pretty damn quick.

Should the Blackpool Combat Club be gender inclusive? 

- Cargill doesn't need to be part of BCC. I know her work isn't great (yet?), but she carries herself like a star and I love how "alpha" she comes across, treating Smart Mark Sterling as basically her underling. I don't think she's ready for extended promos or big storylines, but she's really maximized the 1-2 minute backstage segments she's been given. No need to bungle that up by putting her in a stable where she'd probably be simultaneously showcased less but also exposed as not being up-to-snuff or "fitting in." Even Yuta still has quite a bit to prove as, sure, he's coming off a great match with Mox, but looking ahead, he now has to keep up with with arguably two of the top 4-5 most over, most experienced wrestlers in AEW (hell, of the past decade in any US promotion). 

- Guevara and Tay are definitely turning heel. I think what we're seeing now is Tony wanting to finish a storyline before moving on and, as we just saw with Wheeler Yuta, I do think Tony likes to map things out and "run his offense" rather than just switch things up the minute something doesn't work. Obviously the live crowds and social media are not into Sammy and Tay as babyfaces, but they're also locked in a feud with the company's most despicable heel group (a group that is also a really bad candidate for a "double turn" angle). 

So, I expect that we'll get Sammy vs. Sky on TV within the next few weeks (Sammy promised to have some sort of big surprise for next week that will make Lambert's group agree to the match) and that's where really good news comes in for Tony Khan. The fans turning on Sammy is actually a huge benefit as, if Sammy was over as a babyface, the amount of shit he's talked would necessitate him winning the match because he'd otherwise be totally castrated...But because the audience dislikes Sammy so much right now, the heels can outsmart him, Sky can retain, PVZ can prevent Tay Conti from making the save, and it won't hurt Sammy nearly as bad because Sammy's future doesn't really hinder on credibility anymore as it does heat.

A week later, Sammy can blame his loss not just on Lambert's crew and their treachery but also on the fans who are jealous of him and Tay Conti. As for Sky, keeping him and All Ego and Lambert heel isn't too hard when you have guys like Samoa Joe and Keith Lee around to challenge for the title.

There's just no real reason to rush through this storyline when, no matter what you do, the audience is not going to be cheering for Sammy Guevara in his current persona and it may take awhile for them to ever cheer him again.

2 hours ago, NotJayTabb said:

LuFisto was on Dark Elevation last night, she'd fit the BCC vibe as the only female member.

I was a bit bummed that she didn't get more offense in, though. I expected her to eat the pin but at least, it was nice to finally see her have a shot with a major promotion.