Pro Wrestling Only

AEW TV - April 20/22, 2022

MoS

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah that's been a pattern lately, Dynamite frontloading their cards...i mean it happens a lot with music albums too so hey!

Wasn't entirely feeling the coffin match, that def needed more of the time given to Britt & Sammy.  Those two are the leading go-away heat magnets among our watch group now.

I just got back from the show, and holy shit what a blast it was.

First, I was in the long ass line for a hot dog and a diet Pepsi during the Dark Evolution tapings. QT Marshall came out and I was feeling pretty good with my decision to be in line at that point when FUCKING MINORU FUCKING SUZUKI came out as his opponent. The girl behind me completely lost her shit marking out over it. 

There was a funny moment when the tech guys were setting up Penta's tombstone gimmick before his match and Justin Roberts was like "so who do you guys think is coming up next?"

Tony Schiavone told us all to chant CM Punk to open the show, which turned out to be unnecessary as him coming out was probably the loudest crowd pop I've been a part of. The last time AEW was here it was a week before Punk's debut and it was like the crowd was more pent up than Veer. 

Dustin is amazing to watch in person, pretty sure he got the ref to bite that he was hurt for real as he was checking on him outside the ring multiple times, he was so good the crowd kinda turned heel on CM Punk a little, they at least were kinda hoping Dustin would win while realizing that probably wasn't going to happen.

Sammy and Tay are going to be an amazing heel act. He's so good at being a douchebag, Dan Lambert was getting huge babyface reactions. PVZ smashing them is going to get over huge.

It's amazing we had Darby in a coffin match and the most HOLY SHIT spot of the match was Sting doing another balcony dive. That was quite a sight to see in person. 

18 minutes ago, sek69 said:

Dustin is amazing to watch in person, pretty sure he got the ref to bite that he was hurt for real as he was checking on him outside the ring multiple times, he was so good the crowd kinda turned heel on CM Punk a little, they at least were kinda hoping Dustin would win while realizing that probably wasn't going to happen.

Yeah, on TV some boos were audible after Punk kicked out of the Cross Rhodes/Piledriver combo. The nearfall was great tho!

Good to know you had a great time, bubba! Show was good on TV too!

Pink vs Dustin was fucking great.It's one of my favorite matches I've seen in awhile. It was great to see that an AEW crowd can turn against Punk, since he's going to have to go heel sooner if not later. He's meant to be a heel. 

That Undisputed Elite stuff with Cutler cam was subpar indy bad.

Tony passionately explaining why arm drags are awesome was incredible. He's the best.

The whole " Pig" thing is the only bad part of the Wardlow/ MJF feud. It sounds dumb.

Is Mark Sterling the best we got out there as far as modern day managers? Cause he's all over this show and he stinks. Bring in Prince Nana permanently.

Also TK came out and had the crowd do various chants to be captured for the video game. He called it AEW Fight Forever, which I don't recall being publicly announced.  Bubba @KawadaSmile would have loved how coked out he looked while doing this, and it made me realize he's probably a dude who acts goofy when he gets excited.

He was absolutely MELTING, that's for sure. The segment itself was a bit awkward, but we'll get TOMOHIRO ISHII next week.

That makes me wonder, tho. New Japan guys have to win some of those matches, right? Can't promote that partnership and have things be one-sided. Ishii going over Cole wouldn't hurt...

12 hours ago, Lukeless said:

Britt stopped being interesting like halfway through her title reign.  She hasn't seemed to have advanced as a performer since she cut those promos on Tony (not khan)

I lost all interest in her when she seemed to care more about getting a good match rating from Dave Meltzer.

This was a pretty good week of Dynamite though. I've watched the last three weeks live on TV with my fiancé because I'm off on Wednesdays now. So far, she has liked Samoa Joe & Jade Cargill & she hates HOOK. Said he looks like a pouting teenager that doesn't get his way from his mom lmfao. It drives me crazy how he puts on the Tazmission almost as an after thought instead of making it seem like more of a bigger deal. I dunno.

The Punk/Dustin match was a lot of fun. I really bought into the near fall after the Piledriver. Dustin's selling of his knee was great. I really liked fired up Ethan Page's promo, too. The main event needed more time, I feel, which was wasted on the Britt promo & the Sammy/Tay segment getting too much time imo.

I like Regal's stable. The HUGE ANNOUNCEMENT meant nothing to me. I dig Wardlow. I like The Butcher too - great look. Danhausen reminds me of Sammy Terry - but I don't know if he was just a midwest thing or if he's more famous than that. He was a host of old cable access b-movies back in the day. Kind of like what Elvira did only without the sex appeal lol.

Give me The Butcher Vs. Brody King in a hoss vs. hoss match!

Dustin/Punk was terrific. Expect the early going may have been a bit slow for some but I liked the way it gradually built to the finish. Dustin's starting to creek but he's still a master. Punk seemed to be absolutely made up that he got to wrestle Dustin. Post-match was great, what a treat. Nice stare down with Hangman.

BCC stuff continues to deliver. Loving Yuta's new gear, it was needed. Moriarty's the obvious choice for the next BCC inductee so it was neat to see him in there (but I like the idea that they're keeping you guessing, as both Dante Martin and Brock Anderson could be candidates) but I'd like to see a more gradual build with him as he eventually proves himself worthy.

Adam Cole interrupting the announcement was weird. Man ruins everything. Should really have just slotted that in as a taped promo later in the show. All Ishii on Friday. Jay White needs to be more a creepy loner than just one of the Bullet Club/Elite lads. Still, what they've announced is cool. Trying to fantasy book this PPV in my head but it's tricky. Do you do Okada/Danielson here? Punk/KENTA? Ibushi and Omega will be back healthy by then. Do you do something with those two together? So many possibilities!

Dax vs. Cash. Ho. Ly. Shit.

2 hours ago, sek69 said:

One thing I noticed is they need to give Yuta a new entrance video,  it's hilarious to see him to come out to his Lisa Frank-ass video next to Danielson and especially Mox. 

BCC needs an unified entrance and theme. Even if Mox has to come out from the crowd he can still do it while the other two do it normally, there's no need for 3 different theme songs and entrances at this point. They are a unit supposedly.