Pro Wrestling Only

AEW TV - July 27/29, 2022

MoS

As they mentioned on Between the Sheets either this week or last: traditional Japanese booking involves guys returning from injury losing their first match. I kinda shoulda seen that coming, which is the best kind of shock booking tactic--the one that makes you slap your forehead afterward.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last week was one of the worst booked Dynamites in history, and this week was one of the best booked Dynamites. The Starks-HOOK-Hobbs thing was masterful from start to finish, there was further progress on Hangman and the Bucks (and I don't even like Elite melodrama, but it sells and I far prefer it to generic ROH/NXT emulation like TK was doing recently) and Jungle Boy showed us all that he can cut great promos. Moox also cut an all-time promo, but Mox cuts all-time promos every week, so that should not be much of a surprise. 

I’m not opposed in theory to Starks turning babyface and Hobbs turning on him, but it would be more impactful if they had actually gotten some kind of a concerted push as a unit, rather than mostly being in the background for the last year. Starks going on about how he made the FTW title so meaningful by his efforts when we barely saw it and it was a fake title in the first place (in a company that is following the WWE down the path of having way too many fucking titles, to boot) is not the solidest ground on which to launch a babyface turn. Starks rocks, he made the most of it, but it feels like Tony jumped the gun here.

6 hours ago, MoS said:

Last week was one of the worst booked Dynamites in history, and this week was one of the best booked Dynamites.

This.

This was the best Dynamite in a long time, maybe one if not the best of the year. This is everything I want from AEW.

Mox vs Rush was a tremendous match, Rush really has been killing it thus far, this is cool as I loved to watch him reign in Arena Mexico on Friday nights.

Of course Mox vs Jericho is a big time match to build toward All Out and this is why Jericho beat Eddie, because he's putting Mox over. Whether people like it or not, he's still one of their biggest star is this is a huge TV match.

THAT entire segment with Ricky Starks was one of the best booking in forever. Hook showing up after Danhausen was awesome and made sense. Then they had the best short match I've seen in a while. Hook's victory got over big and really, this is quite cool to see the son of Taz with that belt. Then Starks gets over big time turning himself babyface with that awesome promo (everybody who had seen him back in NWA knew he had it) which got interrupted in the most shocking fashion by an AWESOME Will Hobbs lariat from absolutely nowhere. Literally everyone involved here got over more and jumpstarts a new chapter. Masterful booking, great execution. A wonderful segment of pro-wrestling TV.

The trios title finally there, this is so promising. Bucks & Hangman continuing there long-time storyline, always a pleasure. 

Jungle Boy with one hell of a promo and finally explanation on the Luchasaurus deal. Good.

The Tony Neese & Mark Sterling vs Swerve match was actually terrific in its own way. Tony Neese is absolutely a guy anyone would want in their promotion, as demonstrated there. Here's the ultimate good hand. The fact he looks like Tommy Dreamer's head on Paul Roma's body makes it even better.

Rosa vs Yamashita was very good. Yamashita did quite good for a first time on live TV in a ring that is probably bigger than what she's used too. Really enjoyed her two matches with Rosa. This is another thing I want from AEW all the time, really good workers from other parts of the world showing up and get legit spotlight. Hope we see more of her.

Sammy vs Dante was also very good, Dante hopefully hasn't hurt his knee or ankle though. There was such a hard focus on the young talent on this show (Sammy, Dante, Hook, Starks, Jungle Boy, Garcia). Anna Jay... yeah, not fair. Hopefully the heel turn do her good for her in-ring confidence. Eddie Kingston still over as fuck.

That main event though... One of the best TV match of the year to me. I know some people won't like Danielson playing on the concussion issues, but that's the always ambivalent relationship to reality that makes pro-wrestling fascinating. Obviously when Daniel Garcia throws him head first in the steel stairs everybody goes "he's ok", but that first spot was like kinda eerie (although Chris Jericho absolutely foreshadowed it by insisting he came back too early, which was very smart announcing). Great match, great upset finish.

What an awesome TV episode that one was, with tons of FOCUS. Now Danielson is back, Adam Cole is coming back, and you know Kenny Omega's comeback is approaching (trios title being a clue). Hopefully Punk's rehabilitation is going well. Plot is gonna thicken big time in the upcoming weeks/months.

The Ricky Starks promo & Powerhouse Hobbs heel turns was amazing television. Goodness. I miss stuff like that!

That clothesline was stiff as fuck too.

That was a big positive.

AEW doesn't need more fucking titles though, that's for sure. How many Trios teams do they even have? Four? Maybe? Maybe they can just make the Trios tags a Rampage exclusive.

10 minutes ago, Coffey said:

How many Trios teams do they even have? Four? Maybe? Maybe they can just make the Trios tags a Rampage exclusive.

Bucks and either Hangman/Omega

Cole and Red Dragon

Blackpool Combat Club team

House of Black team

Dark Order team

JAS team

Gunn Club

Orange and Best Friends

Then you can always cobble together stuff like Kingston and the Lucha Brothers, If Dragon Lee is available he could team with Rush/Andrade, Lethal/Singh/Sonjay, FTR could probably find a partner as they've teamed with a few people.

Then you could fill it out with stuff from the undercard like the Wingmen, QT's people, etc.

I feel like they have plenty to have an amazing tournament. The question is, will they?

31 minutes ago, Coffey said:

AEW doesn't need more fucking titles though, that's for sure. How many Trios teams do they even have? Four? Maybe? Maybe they can just make the Trios tags a Rampage exclusive.

I agree that Tony Khan is totally out of control with the titles and tournaments, and he must be stopped before every single wrestler has some kind of title.

However...I do think AEW can sustain 6 Man Titles:

- The Elite (Kenny & The Young Bucks)

- The Undisputed Elite (Cole, O'Reilly & Fish)

- The House of Black (Black, King & Mathews)

- Blackpool Combat Club (Some combination of Moxley, Danielson, Castagnoli & Yuta)

- Death Triangle (Penta, Fenix & PAC)

- The Best Friends (Baretta, Taylor & Cassidy)

- The Dark Order (Probably Uno, Reynolds & Silver?)

- Jericho Appreciation Society (Garcia, Menard & Parker)

- Jericho Appreciation Society II (Jericho, Hager and Guevara)

- The Gunn Club

- FTR & CM Punk (They have already said on the record that if these titles happen, they are going for them.)

- The Nightmare Factory (Marhsall, Solo & Comoroto)

- Eddie Kingston, Santana & Ortiz (Depending on what happens with Santana's injury & contract)

- Lethal, Davari & Singh

Plus...

Until last night I would have said Team Taz (Stark, Hobbs & Hook...but I guess that's not happening now!)  You've got teams like Butcher & Blade who just need a third guy like Archer or something. Sting, Darby and Somebody (could be the perfect chance for Sting to stay active but not see too much action.) Private Party and Somebody. Andrade, Rush and Somebody.  There are a ton of possibilities.

EDIT: @Blehschmidt just barely beat me to it!

Actually, after Eddie Kingston and Ortiz making the save for Dante Martin last night...maybe that could lead to those three teaming up?  And it looks like Tony Nese and Josh Woods are forming a team, so that is another unit that just needs a third guy.  Plus...you have to figure New Japan might send some guys for this deal, too. Plus apparently Cole Karter, Aria Davari and Slim J just formed a faction on AEW Dark? The possibilities for these titles are indeed endless, if this is booked properly.

Trios title is gonna be awesome, and it's a unique formula that has not been done in a major US promotion in forever.

Actually, I was totally against that All Atlantic title, but if the gimmick means it's that belt that gets defended on indy promotions all over the world and matches showed on Dark, and only once in a while on major AEW shows, then I'm all for it, as it's been really fun thus far.

There's also the Bucks being some of the greatest trios workers of all-time, and so many of the great PWG matches being in that format (which schooled a huge chunk of the roster). These titles are absolutely a good idea, its a bunch of the other ones that are the problem.

Just now, The Thread Killer said:

I only want to see that if Lee gets some new tights. I have PTSD from his male stripper outfit at the last ROH PPV. I don’t want to see that again, ever.

You're not the right demo. Dragon Lee should keep his short pants, these are drawing. I mean, there's no reason guys should not be sexualized (I mean, Anna Jay in that red thingy she wore, holy shit). And really, if my body looked like Dragon Lee, I would walk around the city wearing this, I don't give a fuck.

1 minute ago, El-P said:

You're not the right demo. Dragon Lee should keep his short pants, these are drawing. I mean, there's no reason guys should not be sexualized (I mean, Anna Jay in that red thingy she wore, holy shit). And really, if my body looked like Dragon Lee, I would walk around the city wearing this, I don't give a fuck.

In fairness, I don’t think women should be compelled to wear unnecessarily revealing ring attire either. I think all pro wrestlers should wear full body singlets, akin to bathing suits from the 1920s.D4104C53-D42E-47D1-9EFE-7FF47F756E74.webp.54c5cd34e31fc5a2219afaeb32ea31a2.webp

Best Dynamite in some time this week. Great show all round. The wrestling is always good but it was the character stuff that stood out this week. Starks/Hook/Hobbs, Jungle Boy/Christian, the Bucks/Page/Dark Order, Jericho's involvement, etc. It definitely feels like there's a cycle where things really cool off after a big show. We still get good matches week in week out but it feels like they're treading water a bit otherwise. Then when the time comes TK wakes up and things get hot again as they begin the build to another big show.

Wonder if the trios tournament will be 8 teams or 16. You've got...

Death Triangle
House of Black
BCC
Elite
Undisputed
JAS
Best Friends
Page & Dark Order or just Dark Order
The Factory
Gunn Club
Wingmen
Faccion Ingobernable? (Andrade, Rush, Dragon Lee?)
Tully Blanchard Enterprises
Remnants of AFO

You could have had Kingston/Santana/Ortiz or Punk & FTR if there weren't injuries.

Almost enough.