Pro Wrestling Only

AEW TV - 8/24 - 8/26 - Shenanigans Afoot

Timbo Slice

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Timbo Slice said:

If there’s anything Lanza is good at? It’s speculation…

It’s getting to be too much now. You can’t be working the sheets all the time. Come out and address shit like this. Otherwise it gets worse. 

“What if it’s Vince Russo but done by a guy we like?”

I can’t stand Moxley, but if Punk needs a longer time out, either because of his foot or because he and TK can’t agree, it was the right call, I guess.

Thunder Rosa has been a dud of a champion, but idk why people are buying that “sandbag” stuff, it was Marina goddamn Shaffir she was wrestling when that came up.

16 hours ago, El-P said:

This is gonna be the greatest night in the history of our sport.

It kinda was. Lost my mind three times.

1/ MCMG being announced as Jay Lethal's partners. Now, that's what I call some world class correction course. Plus,TNA invasion baby ! All kidding aside, this could very well steal the show now. MCMG are one of the best and most important tag team of the last 20 years in term of advancing the style, and what they can do with Wardlow, holly hell. And of course, FTR vs MCMG is a dream match if there's one.

2/That Mox vs Punk match. So shocking and amazing, and really there's a sense of poetic justice in Punk opening his mouth a bit too much and making the mistake of thinking he was all that and all repaired up and getting the fuck beat out if it for it. So now the rematch is set apparently. That's quite an interesting twist and a great Dynamite moment for the ages.

3/Omega showing up after that mind-blowing match to confront Ospreay. And although it was obvious this was gonna happen at some point, with teases here and there for months and months now, the fact they actually faced off finally at this moment was amazing. Ospreay is having one of the best year ever (a year he almost died BTW), and I hope this takes place in the Tokyo Dome, as it should. A billion stars.

16 hours ago, El-P said:

Will CM Punk disappoint the entire AEW Galaxy ? Will Phil Brooks screw Phil Brooks ?

Kinda happened.

16 hours ago, El-P said:

Will Stokely Hataway recruit his 34th body in his evergrowing stable ? 

Yes he did. That segment was pretty ok in term of highlighting both Gunns and Acclaimed. It's over, I won't complain. The fact Billy Gunn is relevant on my weekly TV almost 30 years after I saw him debut on Superstars is quite something.

16 hours ago, El-P said:

Will Thunder Rosa put on a booboo face on as she's getting closer to drop the belt to Toni Storm ? 

Damn, I was right and more on this one. Funny how Ricky Starks showing emotion came off totally genuine (what a great promo) while Rosa came of reeking with insincerity. You know, there seem to be a little bit too much smoke to the Rosa fire by now. I always gave her the benefit of the doubt, never really saw that much in what was said (the sandbagging and all), but after a while, it's a lot of stuff piling on. Maybe Ivelisse wasn't wrong after all when she was all "Nah, not putting that bitch over, fuck that". :D Bring Ivy back ! 

16 hours ago, El-P said:

Will Kip Sabian get the fuck out of that stupid box already ?

HE DID !

So there, I'm a fucking genius and if you wanna know something, just ask.

PAC vs Dax Harwood eventually. Please. PLEASE !

And sign KiLynn King. Looked quite good two weeks in a row. Was all over the pandemic Jacksonville era, glad she showed up back and is given TV time. She seems to have improved also.

What an awesome episode. Last week I was all "well, it is what it is, some of it is great but overall I'm not that excited anymore about the promotion" and after this week I feel like I'm one year back in time.

3 hours ago, Embrodak said:

Thunder Rosa has been a dud of a champion, but idk why people are buying that “sandbag” stuff, it was Marina goddamn Shaffir she was wrestling when that came up.

The Shafir match.

She did it to Ivelisse then pretty much got her fired.

She did it to Miyu Yamashita in the match where she had to put her over.

She broke Jamie Hayter's nose

It's not a one time occurence.

1 hour ago, Embrodak said:

I think people were seeing what they wanna see in that Yamashita match, tbh.

It's possible it was just an off night or the effects of traveling back and forth across the Pacific, but she's kind of past getting the benefit of the doubt at this point.

2 hours ago, Jmare007 said:

I mean, if All Out becomes their most successful PPV to date then Adderall Man would have taught us all a lesson I guess. But if it doesn't, it's just weird fucking booking.

Personally I'm much more entertained by a sudden burst of chaos 2-3 weeks to fill up a PPV than the 10 weeks of the same segment on repeat until the go home show when some real cool shit happens. 

Really don't know what to make of Mox vs. Punk.

On some level I feel like what could have just been an amazing, shocking, thought-provoking angle was kind of muddied by all of the backstage nonsense we've been hearing about.

The story within kayfabe is so strong: Punk comes back from this foot injury, high and mighty as the "real" world champion. He's back to do what everyone expects, unify the titles and continue on with the reign he was supposed to start in May as the top guy in the company.

Mox, on the other hand, has taken the interim title and ran with it, using his new lease on life and having a banner run and carrying the scene in Punk's (among others') absence. He's full of bile at the "interim" qualifier and wants to validate what he feels is his legitimate second world title run, and also shove it up the arse of anyone who thinks Punk can just waltz back in and pick up where he left off as if his whole reign didn't happen. Punk included.

And Punk, in turn, has come back with a healthy dose of not giving a flying fuck, happy to insult the shit out of anyone standing in his way, like Mox. So these two pissed off bulls butt heads immediately, break out in brawls that they can't contain, and end up making the giant title unification match early because they literally can't wait to beat the shit out of each other.

Then the match happens, and the worst possible thing immediately happens to Punk - he puts weight on his injured foot and completely fucks it up. Mox smells blood and drops him like a sack of shit. BOOM. The middle finger during the finish was perfect because it was a giant FUCK YOU to everyone who thought Punk would just unify the titles and move on. Everyone who wants to call him an Interim champion. And Punk, the guy who saunters around like he's head and shoulders above everyone else as a star (which he technically is) gets served a huge piece of humble pie. Did he come back too soon? Was it just a freak accident? Can he still hang? He makes all the money for AEW, but can he actually defend the world title as a wrestler and remain the top guy?

All leading to the "real" match at the PPV, in Chicago. Where Punk has to dig deep and use the support of what will be an overwhelming hometown crowd to overcome this Achilles heel (almost literally) and win back the world title he was never supposed to lose. And no matter what happens, Mox got to validate his interim reign and officially be the first two-time world champion, undisputed.

One thing that bothers me is that they didn't do a good enough job selling the match in the moment. I love LOVE LOOOOOOOOOOVE the short, unexpected match. But AEW is usually better at explaining something like this supposed "biggest match ever" world title unification happening in the middle of the show, not the main event. As soon as it wasn't the main event, I think the last 10% of people who weren't already expecting shenanigans were tipped off. And so the match didn't feel BIG enough when it was happening. We all kind of knew it was just going to lead to an angle.

They could have outright said "the world title match starts now with an hour to go so they have the whole hour of TV time, just in case." And mentioned that if it did, the trios tournament match would be rescheduled to Rampage or something. And when the match DID end so quickly, send out a stand-by match to fill the TV time. Or even just say that they were starting the trios match earlier. The way it was presented in the context of the show, it felt too much like one of those "this is a super mega WWE Champion vs. World Champion match!!! ...that takes place at the top of the hour on Raw for no reason with no finish" deals.

Ironically, I feel like the way they have done this has actually made the result of Punk vs. Moxley at All Out far MORE predictable than a straight up unification match would have been. The promos and the brawling really sold me on the match, and Mox has had such a good summer you could imagine them giving him a win to get the validation before going back to Punk (which we've already got). PLUS all of the backstage gossip about Punk offered the threat of Punk losing and going home, or losing due to MJF or Page shenanigans instead. But after this, I can't see any way that Punk loses again in Chicago.

So in an odd way I'm actually a lot less intrigued by the PPV match now than I was a week ago. BUT I also wonder, if we hadn't have had so much real life Punk drama to talk about in the last few weeks, would this have hit a lot more as simply a cool wrestling angle?

6 hours ago, Lukeless said:

They run so many great match I forgot this happened. But nevertheless, I want it now, with the Dax of 2022 who is better and more over than ever as a babyface.

3 hours ago, Jimmy Redman said:

Ironically, I feel like the way they have done this has actually made the result of Punk vs. Moxley at All Out far MORE predictable than a straight up unification match would have been.

Agreed. That's the one thing with them announcing the rematch. Although honestly, I wasn't really seeing Punk losing his title after coming back from injury and having no reign at all. That wasn't gonna happen. Except it did ! But they could not have ran this match at the PPV. So, in a way, this does add up spices to a match that basically kinda was already very predictable as far as the outcome went, because now the dynamic has been shuffled. End result should be the same, but the road to it was more exciting. And really now, this was also a TV rating bait. Which worked.

34 minutes ago, KawadaSmile said:

I'm not sure the result of their incoming rematch is a foregone conclusion, specially after the promo Mox just cut - might have been one of his best. 

A proper, formal heel turn for CM Punk, on the other hand...

Yes indeed. Which is why I said the title "change" (interim my ass, I hate the whole interim stuff, same thing with Rosa who will apparently be out for a while as it was reported she had a severe back injury) added spice to the entire thing. 

15 minutes ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

I'm thinking the only two ways to go at the PPV are Punk winning the belt in Chicago or Punk getting fucked out of the win by MJF. 

That would be pretty glorious indeed. AEW needs something BIG, because the momentum is clearly in favor of WWE right now, and it will remain that way for a while. I don't see how it stops until at least Mania, unless Trip really fucks things up somewhere. But AEW also needs not to book in panic mode. Overall, a very interesting time.