Pro Wrestling Only

Is the empire crumbling before our eyes?

C.S.

Re: Cody

When he was booking his own stuff in 2019, he was the highlight of 2019. Once TK demoted the EVPs from booking at the beginning of 2020 (rumored due to the Dark Order beating up the Elite to end the show, and Dave Meltzer was crying on his podcast), Cody's programs were never the same but I was still into him and never understood the fans turning on him. It is wrong to hold him accountable for his lack of push and angles. His matches and promos were great. The bottom line is he and The Elite had different philosophies and styles, i.e. "creative differences". He wanted to be the ace of the company, too, which required a 8-12 month World Title run.

Re: The Young Bucks leaking that CM Punk wanted Colt to be fired.

As TK said in Forbes, how ridiculous does this actual sound in practice? The bigger question (to me) is did TK speak with Punk and Colt about if they could work together before Punk was signed? Because all of us saw the potential issues. I don't appreciate posters and Cornette using uncited information that The Bucks make up stories and leak them. Wrestlers have always leaked info to the dirt sheets. Complaints are from their POV. The shady ones like Konnan and ECW crew manipulated Dave and Wade. But people are saying the Bucks have engaged in straight fabrication but have presented no evidence. And The Bucks have a history of stirring the pot? Why, because they didn't like Cornette in ROH or were treated like crap at TNA? Sounds weak to be feel threatened by The Young Bucks complaining about their push in badly run promotions.

Re: Who started it?

Well, I heard Punk challenge Hangman on TV and every EVP during the press conference. He did say to confront him in the "hallway" and not "dressing room", so I guess he and Ace Steel will claim self-defense because apparently The Young Buck's superkicks can smash down doors and threatened Larry. Look, I listened to Cornette's defense of Punk so I am not ignorant of both sides, but Punk comes off as paranoid, self-centered, egotistical, narcissistic, and humiliated the company and his boss. Punk's "truth" is his truth. It's not The Truth. At worst, The Young Bucks come off as juvenile and passive-aggressive, but not like scary raving lunatics.

Sorry, folks, I really can't hate on Hangman. He's a sensitive guy and works hard. Hangman actually doesn't need advice from Punk or Sting. Punk is the one who brought Terry Funk into this, but Hangman was answering a question about Punk + Sting. The Elite are basically self-trained and self-made, and think Punk and other vets underrate their careers because they were not in WWE. Veterans have always had told the current generation to "slow down". No one listens. Get over yourself!

Big deal, Hangman cut an insider promo on Punk to promote their PPV match. It was an ambiguous one liner. Colt wasn't mentioned. When he said it I thought he was talking about how Punk isn't really a locker room leader, and is in fact taking Hangman's spot away as champ. After all, wasn't that Punk's complaint in WWE? Worked shoots seem to be done every week on AEW, anyway! Why all of a sudden do we have to be on Punk and Eddie Kingston's side when their feelings are hurt? They clearly could dish it out on the mic but can't take it. Screw Punk for creating an image where he thinks he is a worker's rights advocate, when he didn't say a word in defense of other AEW wrestlers having issues. He doesn't do AEW charity events when I watch vlogs, not even meet and greets like Thunder Rosa, Sammy and Tay do every week. Come to work, goes home. An ex-WWE outsider coming in and running things now. To me, that's what Hangman was saying.

Re: TK's leadership skills

Pretty much non-existent. He let the inmates run the asylum. No attempt to handle the women. His roster is enormous and wrestlers left off TV/PPVs feel bad. The recent promotions (Tony Schiavone, QT Marshall, Pat Buck, Sonjay Dutt, Madison Rayne) were a joke. Unfortunately people like William Regal and Arn Anderson have no desire to help book or format shows. But what about Mark Henry, Chris Jericho, Dustin Rhodes, or Paul Wight? Billy Gunn seems like someone who would gladly take more responsibility. You guys may find faults in them, but I'd much rather take guys who were actual TV stars and command backstage respect that the recently promoted pushover paper-pushing VPs.

I appreciate how nice and generous TK is, and would love a boss like him, but he obviously can't deal with discipline. Most of the workers just have to come to work on Wednesday and get paid A LOT OF MONEY to work 25-52 matches a year. So the fact that there's so much turmoil (the workers are biting the hand that feeds them) makes them come off as very entitled and immature. 

Re: The Punishments

SI: "The list of those receiving suspensions includes Omega, Matt and Nick Jackson, Pat Buck, Christopher Daniels, Michael Nakazawa, and Brandon Cutler. Multiple sources have shared that Punk and Ace Steel will either be among those suspended, or will no longer be with the company by the end of Wednesday. Punk met with Khan on Tuesday, so the two had an opportunity to discuss how that exit could be handled."

It looks like Brian Last's breaking news about personnel getting suspected was correct. Good for him for not spreading fake news. Suspensions for The Elite is fine, although IMHO they were goaded by Punk and "had" to confront him as per the rules of masculinity. However the coaches/"VPs" need to be permanently demoted. If Punk and The Elite could never work together or appear on the same shows again, then I do agree it is best if Punk takes his ball home (again). What a mess considering he just beat Mox clean for the World title. My best friend (casual fan) warned me when Punk came in that AEW didn't need him and he was toxic; she was right.

Hey, I am open minded to condemn everyone involved. Two wrong don't make a right. I challenge you to do the same if you are offended I took The Elite's side over Punk.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, Coffey said:

Here's the question I want to ask: does the in-ring work in AEW improve if they fire both The Young Bucks and C.M. Punk? Because I think it makes the show better... unless they spend their time to give more time to shit like Chris Jericho. 

Punk is a sloppy worker, but the show would absolutely benefit from more people wrestling *like* him, albeit in a more coordinated manner.

42 minutes ago, Zoo Enthusiast said:

Punk's condescension re: Hangman is comical.  He's 10+ years into the business, not Billie Starkz.

I think Punk is pissed off that Hangman (and maybe others?) don't see Punk as he saw guys like Funk, Race, Guerrero, etc. Instead, they see him as Punk saw Tony Atlas in OVW and it probably drives him nuts :lol: Saying a former AEW champion hasn't done shit in this business is the exact type of quote that would've drove Punk insane and cause all kinds of trouble if he was in Page's position. It was so evident that it was the main reason I thought it could've been Punk trying to do a work shoot, but alas...

48 minutes ago, Jesse Ewiak said:

Again, there doesn't even have to be anybody telling anybody anything, but a bunch of wrestlers doing the simple math and looking at what's in front of them. Hell, Punk didn't have to say anything, because Tony was likely planning to send Cabana into the Phantom Zone before perhaps Elite members or other people on the roster, seeing what was going to happen, argued against it. 

After all, Tony deciding to appease his favorite new toy before he has to say anything about it is I guess, "making a decision without Punk's input," in a way. 

If no one told them anything, then are the people reporting this lying when they say they are getting this info from ‘sources’ within AEW? 

I think if you know there’s going to be an issue between two people and they probably aren’t going to be able to coexist, trying to keep it from blowing up before it becomes a problem is the smart thing to do. Maybe some would have preferred that Punk would not have been brought in and blame that on causing an issue for Cabana, but the smarter business decision was to bring in Punk. It would be stupid to not bring Punk in just because of Cabana, because in the grand scheme of things who or what is Colt Cabana to AEW? What could Colt Cabana be to AEW vs what Punk could be? Whether you like him or not, he was one of the few free agents available that could and has moved the needle. AEW’s profits were up. Did AEW need him? Probably not. But Tony Khan wanted him, and a lot of fans wanted to see him. Tony Khan made a choice to grow the company. I can’t blame him for doing that. He didn’t realize and I didn’t either that Colt Cabana was a hill so many people wanted to die on. 

Cabana was well respected by the roster and thought of as a coach with actual input rather than his on-screen presence. This aligns with how the locker room perceives itself as a whole: The value the locker room has is in guys like Colt makes it more fraternal, building itself up bereft of “outsiders.” That having Colt and others around while they began to explode meant he was indispensable to some. Especially given many thought he took on the Brodie role after he passed, not on screen, but as the elder statesman of Dark Order.  I think it’s an underreported aspect of this.

Maybe the Cabana stuff had been festering but didn’t seem to really become a problem until Page had to drop the belt to Punk. As long as Punk wasn’t in the title picture or interacting with the Elite and their friends everything was ok, or seemed to be. If MJF or Adam Cole had been the one to beat Page for the the title then drop it to Punk maybe all this continues to be avoided.

1 hour ago, DR Ackermann said:

I don't know any of these people in real life but I was around Colt Cabana at a DGUSA show WrestleMania 30 weekend. I saw how he treated fans of his who were excited to meet him. He was a douchebag and treated them with contempt and mocked them.

There was also scuttlebutt on Twitter a few weeks back about Colt using a homophobic slur during a livestream. (I think the d-word for lesbian, but someone can correct me if I'm wrong.)

Needless to say, Scott Colton probably isn't "the nice guy" he's been made out to be.

Even so, I still feel kind of bad for him with Punk going off about his shared bank account with his mother and other details that really didn't need to be aired out in a public forum.