Pro Wrestling Only

Is the empire crumbling before our eyes?

C.S.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not to get all Eric Bischoff because I don't know what comes of this and wouldn't suggest anything good does (even if possible), but I love a good drama and this has promos, star power, violence, rumors and endless speculation.  Happy to be along for the ride. 

Oh and by the way no matter how fault should be apportioned at the end of the day it falls at Tony Khan's door because his name is on the door.

But gimme the juice!

18 minutes ago, Sweet Brown Koko said:

One of the ONLY good things about this situation, IMO, is that MJF should be up to bat to cut a promo and he has the ability to get things back on track while also speaking to the issue. We’ll just have to see how things play out.

I dunno, MJF will get himself some heat back, but we have to imagine people don't really want to know what HE has to say about such an episode. I mean, he talked a lot of shit during his shooty promo but Ace Steele DID that. He ain't about that.

Details on what @Jmare007 was talking about (CM Punk's injury) within this thread.

I have no thought that this is a work, but they have to do their best to capitalize on it as if it is. Yes, it's messy as hell, but they will have a huge amount of attention on them over the next few weeks, and there is opportunity in that. People in this industry have moved past far worse to make money together. Maybe you don't have faith in these particular parties to pull it off, but that -- not doom and gloom -- should be the mindset. 

28 minutes ago, Childs said:

I have no thought that this is a work, but they have to do their best to capitalize on it as if it is. Yes, it's messy as hell, but they will have a huge amount of attention on them over the next few weeks, and there is opportunity in that. People in this industry have moved past far worse to make money together. Maybe you don't have faith in these particular parties to pull it off, but that -- not doom and gloom -- should be the mindset. 

No doubt there.  Even though (IMO) it didn't begin as a work, some elements should become part of one.

Here's my bad take. Sue me. I am not interesting in any of this and find it disheartening. For 20 plus years there wasn't a real number 2 promotion. TNA/Impact was around, but we we all know the score. I don't expect any wrestling promotion to have a roster where everyone is holding hands all day, but at some point in time, these people need to realize that all the shoot nonsense, goofiness, etc. is not something anyone took serious or wanted to invest in for over 20 years. The heart of AEW is The Elite, the pocketbook of AEW (at this time) is Punk. At thee end of the day, what will win out is money.

44 minutes ago, fakeplastictrees said:

Here's my bad take. Sue me. I am not interesting in any of this and find it disheartening. For 20 plus years there wasn't a real number 2 promotion. TNA/Impact was around, but we we all know the score. I don't expect any wrestling promotion to have a roster where everyone is holding hands all day, but at some point in time, these people need to realize that all the shoot nonsense, goofiness, etc. is not something anyone took serious or wanted to invest in for over 20 years. The heart of AEW is The Elite, the pocketbook of AEW (at this time) is Punk. At thee end of the day, what will win out is money.

IDK if Punk is *so* much of a draw that he can just punch a motherfucker and be the one that stays. Him and Mox appear to be approximately equal ratings draws.

21 hours ago, C.S. said:

What are the stories here?

If Fish had a meltdown, letting him go must've been the easiest decision Tony Khan ever made.

18 hours ago, sek69 said:

Wasn't there stories of Fish being kind of a weirdo in NXT (other than him supporting the orange racist ref)? I seem to recall some murmurings of that. 

Apparently, it is now official. Fish released the delayed second episode of his podcast and confirmed that his contract with AEW has expired, and they have not offered him a new one.

Fish also allegedly made some complaints about Tony Khan avoiding meeting with him. And to top it all off, he has apparently continued to talk shit about CM Punk, and  has now challenged him to a shootfight.

:rolleyes:

So Arcadian Vanguard is trying to branch into wrestling journalism, and Brian Last wrote on Twitter that their sources have told them that Ace Steel actually wasn’t in the room when the confrontation started, as well that Omega and Punk tried to talk things out later that night but couldn’t get anywhere. Idk how seriously to take that, but they do have Sempervive as their anchor, so I don’t know if they’d outright lie.

36 minutes ago, The Thread Killer said:

Fish also allegedly made some complaints about Tony Khan avoiding meeting with him. And to top it all off, he has apparently continued to talk shit about CM Punk, and  has now challenged him to a shootfight.

Why would H touch an obviously mentally damaged man like this with a ten-foot pole?

Even for a player/coach role, would you want someone this unstable and unhinged in charge of watering the plants at the PC, never mind training all the kids there?

25 minutes ago, Embrodak said:

So Arcadian Vanguard is trying to branch into wrestling journalism, and Brian Last wrote on Twitter that their sources have told them that Ace Steel actually wasn’t in the room when the confrontation started, as well that Omega and Punk tried to talk things out later that night but couldn’t get anywhere. Idk how seriously to take that, but they do have Sempervive as their anchor, so I don’t know if they’d outright lie.

I am not a huge fan of Brian Last as a human being, I think he’s an arrogant jerk.

However…he definitely has sources inside AEW, there is no doubt about that. And that new outfit The Wrestling News is a legit operation with some respected and reputable guys on staff, guys like the aforementioned Mike Sempervive and Brian Solomon. They have even purchased Norm Kietzer’s PWE archives which go all the way back to the 70’s.

I’d be just as quick to believe The Wrestling News as I would Meltzer, Keller or Mike Johnson. I think as far as Pro Wrestling News goes, these guys are going to be the real deal. Their presentation has been very slick and professional so far, too. I get the impression that Last and company want to take a legit run at The Observer. And he has the team to do it.

7 minutes ago, C.S. said:

Even for a player/coach role, would you want someone this unstable and unhinged in charge of watering the plants at the PC, never mind training all the kids there?

Even on the off chance that Punk goes back to WWE as a trainer, it seems that his problems lied more on people thinking they were hot shit, running a big business like they were running indies, not taking advice from veterans, than anything. I am sure that if The Elite/Page were less of passive aggressive pricks, things could be defused.

Like, I don't think someone like Bron Breakker or Grayson Waller or Melo Hayes would refuse listening to that guy.

7 minutes ago, KawadaSmile said:

Even on the off chance that Punk goes back to WWE as a trainer, it seems that his problems lied more on people thinking they were hot shit, running a big business like they were running indies, not taking advice from veterans, than anything. I am sure that if The Elite/Page were less of passive aggressive pricks, things could be defused.

Like, I don't think someone like Bron Breakker or Grayson Waller or Melo Hayes would refuse listening to that guy.

I think @C.S. was talking about Bobby Fish, brother. Fish has been giving interviews lately talking about how much he loves Triple H. I think the assumption has been that now Fish is gone from AEW, he might just end up back in NXT. Problem is, if the rumours are to be believed, Fish is a bit of a nut. Not to mention, he is 45 years old. I don’t know how much of an upside he brings with him. Especially without O’Reilly. I would be mildly surprised if Fish ends up back in NXT. That would make me question Triple H’s decision making. Then again, he did just hire Road Dogg back, so perhaps I am expecting too much.