Pro Wrestling Only

WWE TV 09/19 - 09/25 It seems Survivor Series did not Survive

KawadaSmile

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know this sounds extremely pedantic and it is something Jim Cornette would say, but I have a problem with them announcing War Games months in advance.

We all know Pro Wrestling is fake, fine. But for storyline purposes, should War Games not be the ultimate end to a feud between warring factions? It should be the participants demanding the match, not the other way around. There is no actual storyline going on right now that demands this match as the blow off being booked this far in advance.  I assume it will be The Bloodline against some other group, I guess.

I mean, The Bloodline is probably one of the best factions ever and a War Games match where Sami gives up is one of the best scenarios to give them an L. Give them some guys who can be brutal like IMPERIUM or the Brawling Brutes, and you got yourself a fine damn match.

I just wish they still maintained the typical Survivor Series format for the rest of the card, tho. 

50 minutes ago, The Thread Killer said:

I know this sounds extremely pedantic and it is something Jim Cornette would say, but I have a problem with them announcing War Games months in advance.

We all know Pro Wrestling is fake, fine. But for storyline purposes, should War Games not be the ultimate end to a feud between warring factions? It should be the participants demanding the match, not the other way around. There is no actual storyline going on right now that demands this match as the blow off being booked this far in advance.  I assume it will be The Bloodline against some other group, I guess.

They do this with every gimmick match and it's infuriating! Nothing drove me more crazy than having a pay-per-view on the schedule called Hell in a Cell where you knew there was going to be a cell match, often times with two people just for the fuck of it, not because it called for it. To quote Cornette, "Laaaaaazy booking."

It's also not that hard to make stakes. 

2003, Austin's career was on the line, and Bischoff promised favours to the heels if they won.

2004, the winning Raw team each got to be GM for a week.

2014 was Faces vs Authority with their jobs on the line right?

At any point in the SD vs Raw nonsense, they could have said "the winning brand gets a draft pick/#30 in the Rumble/something else" as a prize, they just never bothered.

Unpopular Opinion Alert: I think the best Survivor Series shows have had a mix of matches. I like the 5-on-5s and 4-on-4s, sure, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't think that Survivor Series hasn't given us some really, really exciting 1-on-1 matches over the years too (Lesnar/Daniel Bryan, Rousey/Charlotte, that crazy Goldberg/Lesnar squash, obviously Hart/Michaels in 97'). To me, every match being a Survivors match is just as bad as every match being in a cage on those Lockdown PPVs TNA used to (?) run. I say the same thing with a WWE PPV is only singles matches. Why hamstring your own show by not leaning into the wide variety of match types you can use? 2-3 Survivors matches on the show, a big War Games main event, and a pair of compelling RAW and SD Women's Championship  matches sounds good to me. 

I think the inclusion of War Games is unnecessary, but I'm up for it just because I think the Bloodline storyline fits so well with it. I'm also hoping that Triple H opts to let someone get a little "color." The WWE doesn't need to deliver a bloodbath like AEW does in their version, but, y'know, a little bit of juice would go a long way in establishing War Games as a violent, serious match. I'm hoping this recent quote is a bit of a red herring so that people don't expect a really gory War Games match and then he can "overdeliver" by at least having someone do a small blade job (which would be consistent with what we've seen semi-recently with guys getting opened up but matches not being stopped).

Those 80s Survivor Series cards were a lot of fun because the top guys were spread throughout the card usually like 1 per each team as team captains. The rest of the team were filled out by mid card guys that you didn't usually see together and usually the heel captain and face captain were feuding with each other. I thought this tended to mean there was some interest in all the matches.  When they moved to being mostly single matches with one or two 8-10 man tags, the top guys were taken out of the tags to have the singles matches which in turn made all the 10 man tag matches seem like unimportant jobber matches.

I agree that there is room for non SS tags, I just wish they really went back to the original 3 or so shows where there were the tags with really no stakes and to some degree seemingly random partners that got a bunch of time and weren't overbooked for MOMENTS. I don't really give a shit about the Raw vs Smackdown aspect, since more often than not, 80% of either team were on the other show 3 months prior. I do like the champions vs champions stuff, though. Walter vs Lashley. :o

11 minutes ago, Tenese Sarwieh said:

War Games suppose to be the culmination of faction war, and you got The Bloodline, and who? I'd say stick with the standard Raw vs. Smackdown.

I think they should do just 1 War Games match not one for the Women and one for the men , just one War Games match for which ever is the biggest feud that calls for it. Next year if it's a how women's feud than do that. 2 Royal Rumbles are ok and same with MitB for Men and Women because of the stakes but not 2 War Games matches in one not or even one weekend