Pro Wrestling Only

AEW Grand Slam 09/21-09/23

Jmare007

Danielson: "You say you're the heart and soul of AEW? WELL I'M THE GODDAMN HEART AND SOUL OF PROFESSIONAL WRESTLING!"

I'ma be pissed when he loses tonight. But I'm seeing the Rampage card and there's a n°1 contender match? Maybe there's a chance for Dragon after all...

Anyways, stacked card with 5 title matches tonight and a big matchups for Rampage.

Dynamite:

• AEW Interim Women’s World Championship Match: Toni Storm (c) vs. Serena Deeb vs. Athena vs. Dr. Britt Baker, D.M.D
  • AEW All-Atlantic Championship Match: PAC (c) vs. Orange Cassidy
  • ROH World Championship Match: Claudio Castagnoli (c) vs. Chris Jericho
  • AEW World Tag Team Championship Match: Swerve In Our Glory (c) vs. The Acclaimed
  • AEW World Championship Match: Jon Moxley vs. Bryan Danielson

Rampage:

• Grand Slam Golden Ticket Battle Royal for a shot at the AEW World Championship (Entrants include Lance Archer, Hangman Page, Penta El Zero Miedo, Jay Lethal).
  • Jade Cargill vs. Diamante for the TBS Title
  • Sting and Darby Allin vs. Brody King and Buddy Matthews in a No DQ match
  • Action Bronson and Hook vs. Matt Menard and Angelo Parker
  • Powerhouse Hobbs vs. Ricky Starks
  • Eddie Kingston vs. Sammy Guevara
  • Jungle Boy vs. Rey Fenix

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, Tetsujin said:

Are they really going to pull the trigger on The Acclaimed?

After Chicago I think they have to. AEW doesn’t book immediate rematches too often after a loss, that Tony did in this case speaks volumes I think. Swerve and Lee would have to go full on heel and cheat to win is the only way I can see the Acclaimed losing and become babyface chasers. But I think it’s the Acclaimed’s night. 

2 hours ago, Jmare007 said:

Danielson: "You say you're the heart and soul of AEW? WELL I'M THE GODDAMN HEART AND SOUL OF PROFESSIONAL WRESTLING!"

I'ma be pissed when he loses tonight. But I'm seeing the Rampage card and there's a n°1 contender match? Maybe there's a chance for Dragon after all...

Anyways, stacked card with 5 title matches tonight and a big matchups for Rampage.

Dynamite:

• AEW Interim Women’s World Championship Match: Toni Storm (c) vs. Serena Deeb vs. Athena vs. Dr. Britt Baker, D.M.D
  • AEW All-Atlantic Championship Match: PAC (c) vs. Orange Cassidy
  • ROH World Championship Match: Claudio Castagnoli (c) vs. Chris Jericho
  • AEW World Tag Team Championship Match: Swerve In Our Glory (c) vs. The Acclaimed
  • AEW World Championship Match: Jon Moxley vs. Bryan Danielson

Rampage:

• Grand Slam Golden Ticket Battle Royal for a shot at the AEW World Championship (Entrants include Lance Archer, Hangman Page, Penta El Zero Miedo, Jay Lethal).
  • Jade Cargill vs. Diamante for the TBS Title
  • Sting and Darby Allin vs. Brody King and Buddy Matthews in a No DQ match
  • Action Bronson and Hook vs. Matt Menard and Angelo Parker
  • Powerhouse Hobbs vs. Ricky Starks
  • Eddie Kingston vs. Sammy Guevara
  • Jungle Boy vs. Rey Fenix

Is Rampage two hours this week? That’s a lot of matches for a one hour show if not. 

20 minutes ago, KawadaSmile said:

Isn't FTR Bald hurt or something?

No. He wrestled Claudio on Rampage a week or two ago. And FTR has a big match coming up on a NJPW show against Aussie Open. Dax has even broadly hinted on Twitter (as has Miro recently) that he’s not sure why FTR hasn’t been booked more. They just haven’t been because…reasons.

1 hour ago, Tetsujin said:

Are they really going to pull the trigger on The Acclaimed?

It's tough because All Out showed that they are too over not to get the titles but it also showed Swerve and Lee have been really good tag champs so taking the straps from them so soon feels like we will be robbed of some dope tag matches.

1 hour ago, Flyin' Brian said:

After Chicago I think they have to. AEW doesn’t book immediate rematches too often after a loss, that Tony did in this case speaks volumes I think. Swerve and Lee would have to go full on heel and cheat to win is the only way I can see the Acclaimed losing and become babyface chasers. But I think it’s the Acclaimed’s night. 

I think we have to let go of this perception. This year there has been a whole bunch of immediate (ish) rematches, and with the report of the W-L rankings having less importance going forward it feels like they Tony will book them as much as he deems necessary.

16 minutes ago, Embrodak said:

I love FTR, but we should be willing to consider that Dax may be as annoying in real life as he can be on Twitter.

Even if he is…they’re pretty much the best team in the business right now and they’re at the top of their game. There is no excuse for keeping them off TV.

If all the people who were annoying backstage and on Twitter were kept off TV, they wouldn’t have enough people to fill a two hour show.

Maybe you insert FTR into the Tag Titles match? I think Lee/Swerve as heels who are able to somehow escape with the titles against two very popular tag teams is the route I would take.

I like The Acclaimed, but they wouldn't be the team I'd want as the centerpiece of my tag division when you consider who else you have at your disposal. Like, they wouldn't even be my third or fourth pick. 

I also think that turning Lee and Swerve heel is the right move here and one that, if I was Lee and Swerve, I'd be vocally pushing for. Right now, they're not the most popular babyface team on the roster. They're not the second most popular babyface team on the roster. They might not even be the third most popular team on the roster. But you know what spot they could be? The most hated team on the roster. If you can't be the top babyface, be the top heel. 

1 hour ago, Jmare007 said:

It's tough because All Out showed that they are too over not to get the titles but it also showed Swerve and Lee have been really good tag champs so taking the straps from them so soon feels like we will be robbed of some dope tag matches.

I think we have to let go of this perception. This year there has been a whole bunch of immediate (ish) rematches, and with the report of the W-L rankings having less importance going forward it feels like they Tony will book them as much as he deems necessary.

Off the top of my head I can think of Punk and Moxley which was part of an angle. Page and Danielson because the first one was a draw. Are there any others that were even done in back to back months? I’d have to go back to look at all the cards but I’d bet the rematches with less than 6+ weeks in between could be counted on one hand. 

FWIW someone on Twitter asked Dave if the AEW locker room was in turmoil and he replied that things have been largely smoothed over and everyone's been pretty happy the last couple weeks. SRS mentioned something about one of his sources using the term "addition by subtraction" without specifying who was meant by this. 

So it looks like a major source of stress and aggravation was excised from the locker room, so I suppose whoever that could be is an exercise for the reader. 

11 minutes ago, Flyin' Brian said:

Off the top of my head I can think of Punk and Moxley which was part of an angle. Page and Danielson because the first one was a draw. Are there any others that were even done in back to back months? I’d have to go back to look at all the cards but I’d bet the rematches with less than 6+ weeks in between could be counted on one hand. 

Danielson vs Page

Danielson vs García (2 and 3)

Danielson vs Jericho

BCC vs JAS

Punk vs MJF (TV to PPV)

Punk vs Mox

Hobbs vs Starks

Acclaimed vs Swerve in our Glory

Cody vs Sammy is right in the 6 weeks mark you are asking, I think.

BTW, this is probably the combo card that I'm most excited about since starting to watch AEW around a year ago, more so than any PPV. So many guys I like in situations I like and none of the guys I don't. (They're all hiding in the battle royal on Friday or suspended or injured). So it's not just that I like the highs, but there are just zero lows for me when there are usually 2-3.

Here's what I wrote up on tonight's matches for DVDVR:

FOR THE VACANT WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP - Jon Moxley vs. Bryan Danielson

They already had a match where they really went at it. I'd like to see Danielson try to drive this one more towards being a "title match" and force Moxley down onto the mat instead of having a match where blood and violence is the end goal. Actually, look, here's the deal: Danielson says he wants the title because he wants to wrestle in title matches as title matches are the most exciting. Moxley says he wants the title for all that it represents and he wants to be given the ball to take the shot. The two of them need to get together and figure out what those two competing forces and visions and character drives looks like and build a match out of that. I don't know what that would look like but it sounds amazing to me.

FOUR WAY MATCH FOR THE INTERIM WOMEN'S CHAMPIONSHIP - Toni Storm (c) vs. Serena Deeb vs. Athena vs. Dr. Britt Baker, D.M.D.

Four ways are not great but there has been pretty good agenting lately. I think Davari might have been getting credit for some things? What makes this interesting are the characters/wrestlers involved. Britt brings the style, but there's a ton of substance with Storm, Deeb, and Athena. Deeb is one of my favorite wrestlers to watch this year. Athena's been tearing it up save for the Jade match. It's the only multi-person match on the show so it lets them get a bit more leeway with certain spots. I'll probably be more into single interactions and some of the alliances/betrayals/etc., than the overall match as a whole. 4-ways are more about the moments than the big picture most of the time.

FOR THE RING OF HONOR WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP - Claudio Castagnoli (c) vs. Chris Jericho

It's Jericho's career year and he's stacked the deck with yet another match. I'm curious how he goes at this one. With Eddie, it was the King's Road style. With Moxley, it was outwrestling him. With Danielson, it was getting outwrestled and having to rely on desperation moves or capitalize on a mistake. Presumably he's either going to lean into some aspect of ROH or he's going to have to work from underneath against Claudio's strength. 

FOR THE ALL-ATLANTIC CHAMPIONSHIP - PAC (c) vs. Orange Cassidy

I haven't seen their previous encounters, but this is more heated than you'd expect given the sneak attack. Personally, I'd like to see Cassidy try to bewilder PAC instead of outwrestle him, but this will probably play out like some of the big 2022 Cassidy workrate heavy matches. I liked the idea that Kip was keeping PAC off balance for the first half of their All Out pre-show match. PAC has to keep the belt leading to the Ethan Page match in Canada though.

FOR THE AEW TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP - Swerve In Our Glory (Lee / Strickland) (c) vs. The Acclaimed (Caster / Bowens)

They have to figure out how to build on the last match, amp up the drama to make it think that Acclaimed aren't winning, then have the Acclaimed win. It's really as simple as that. Given just how good the PPV match was and how many tricks they utilized, I have no idea what the detailed way to do it should be. It depends a bit whether Lee and Strickland are going different ways after this or not and whether you want to build to a split. If not, I'd really lean hard into Keith Lee this time and make him a wall that the Acclaimed have to somehow get over even as Strickland shoots arrows out from behind it. 

10 minutes ago, sek69 said:

FWIW someone on Twitter asked Dave if the AEW locker room was in turmoil and he replied that things have been largely smoothed over and everyone's been pretty happy the last couple weeks. SRS mentioned something about one of his sources using the term "addition by subtraction" without specifying who was meant by this. 

So it looks like a major source of stress and aggravation was excised from the locker room, so I suppose whoever that could be is an exercise for the reader. 

Quite honestly, I wouldn’t be surprised if it the tension has been defused because the whole bunch of them are gone. The locker room might just be glad all the sources of drama are gone. Plus it sounds like Jericho, Moxley and Danielson have been trying to step up and keep the atmosphere positive since the incident.