Pro Wrestling Only

People who only had one match in a company?

JRH

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brian Pillman wrestled on exactly one AWA show, against Ric Flair in an NWA title match in May, 1990. To make this even more strange I believe this match came about because WCW borrowed the Destruction Crew for a few shows, to wrestle the Steiner's under masks as the Minnesota Wrecking Crew II, and this is what AWA received in return 

22 hours ago, SirEdger said:

Did El Generico have multiple dark match/tryouts in TNA or was it just one?

He had two, against Amazing Red and against TJP in 2011.

7 hours ago, Cien Caras said:

Doug Gilbert in Royal Rumble 96 REPRESENT

Im assuming Takao Omori too.

Takao Omori in TNA as well, came in to work Shamrock as a one off in 2002. 

On 7/2/2023 at 8:48 PM, Al said:

Considering all the collaboration between WWF and USWA, Gilbert is a little surprising. 

Heck, I'm surprised Eddie Gilbert never showed up (he was in USWA between late 1993 up to his death in 1995), would have been interesting to see him have a WWF stint or even a one-off appearance.

Takeshi Ono in RINGS, he only had one match against Wataru Sakata in 1994. 

Takeshi Ono vs Wataru Sakata 12/24/1994

RINGS 

I personally like shoot-style, the holds, the suspense and the kicks of course. Takeshi Ono is one of my favourite shoot wrestlers ever, his work in Battlarts is sublime and I recommend his 2010 run to everyone, I decided to do a deep dive in his career starting from his second match ever against Wataru Sakata in RINGS Fighting Network one of the most critically acclaimed shoot-style promotions in history with a roster full of recognizable names like Kiyoshi Tamura, Volk Han and Tsuyoshi Kohsaka to name a few. Wataru Sakata was a regular in the midcard of RINGS shows during his career, he had matches against the big names of the company like in 1998 when he faced Kiyoshi Tamura in a losing effort, around this time Sakata was a newcomer, he had more experience than Ono at this point in time having wrestled 3 matches before this one while Ono only wrestled once before against Minoru Tanaka in PWFG.

The match was fun nothing out of the ordinary, Ono jumped at him when the bell rang but Sakata being the more calmed and collected competitor was able to get a favourable position but he couldn’t finish him because the bell had sounded it was the end of the first round, the second was more of the same with Sakata getting top mount but not being able to finish him, the third was another story entirely with Sakata getting the armbar for the win by submission.

I think Abdullah the Butcher only had one match in ROH at Night of the Butcher in 2002. Seemed like an odd choice especially that early in the company's history. Jeff Hardy at Death Before Dishonor 2003. There's a bunch in early ROH especially from their short term partnerships with Zero One, AJPW and NJPW but those are probably more guest appearances for big shows.

I swore Mick Foley only had 1 match in FMW on 05/05/96 but then it looks like he was in a 6 man match on 04/29/97. That's really weird to bring him over for a random 6 man since he was fully with WWF at that point. Curious if anyone knows why...it was with Funk so maybe they granted it as a favor as perhaps it was part of Funk's '97 retirement???

Similarly I thought Sabu had only 1 match in Michinoku Pro vs Jerry Lynn. But it looks like he had 1 more in '93 vs Terry Boy the very next night. Close but no cigar I guess. I wonder why since his style seems like a good fit.

4 hours ago, G. Badger said:

I think Abdullah the Butcher only had one match in ROH at Night of the Butcher in 2002. Seemed like an odd choice especially that early in the company's history. Jeff Hardy at Death Before Dishonor 2003. There's a bunch in early ROH especially from their short term partnerships with Zero One, AJPW and NJPW but those are probably more guest appearances for big shows.

I swore Mick Foley only had 1 match in FMW on 05/05/96 but then it looks like he was in a 6 man match on 04/29/97. That's really weird to bring him over for a random 6 man since he was fully with WWF at that point. Curious if anyone knows why...it was with Funk so maybe they granted it as a favor as perhaps it was part of Funk's '97 retirement???

Similarly I thought Sabu had only 1 match in Michinoku Pro vs Jerry Lynn. But it looks like he had 1 more in '93 vs Terry Boy the very next night. Close but no cigar I guess. I wonder why since his style seems like a good fit.

Jeff would return 14 years later for the Hardyz ROH Tag Title run in 2017 just before returning to WWE

Mention of Michinoku Pro made me think of Undertaker's one off there against Hakushi in 1997.

On 7/1/2023 at 6:41 PM, Migs said:

Savage in TNA

Nick Gage in AEW

AEW already has a handful of one-off matches: Gage, Juvi, Warhorse, Glacier. Mance Warner had two matches and disappeared, what was up with that?

Also, one-off appearances from Greg Valentine, Homicide, Raven, Erick Rowan and Gangrel.

That sounds apocryphal given that Strongbow wrestled previous Japanese tours as Joe Scarpa. Given how prevailent the native american gimmick once was in wrestling though, I could see a similar story with a different wrestler. 

Strongbow was part of the 1978 MSG League (the predecessor to the G1), so that story can't be true. As an aside, my favorite semi-apocryphal Strongbow story involves him telling Owen Hart to knock it off with the high flying because none of that stuff would work in a real fight. Owen replied that if it was a real fight, he'd do a war dance.

A couple more examples: Okada in CMLL and Iron Sheik in UWFi.

Brian Jr.'s departure from AEW reminded me that Brian Sr. only had one match with ECW in 1994 (a tag with Shane Douglas vs. Ron Simmons and Scorpio). He never officially wrestled a match in ECW as the "Loose Cannon" persona in 1996. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/1/2023 at 8:57 PM, JRH said:

On a January 2000 Nitro, Jeff Jarrett wrestled George Steele, Tito Santana, and Jimmy Snuka. Tito and Steele only worked for WCW for that night (Snuka did have matches for GCW/MACW which is part of the WCW lineage).

Tito debuted in Florida, hit Mid Atlantic for a year, then Georgia twice. In fact Georgia was his last stop before the WWF years.