Pro Wrestling Only

WWE Survivor Series - War Games - 11/24 - What Do You See?

Timbo Slice

Come on, you know that the crux of the thing was "She wasn't trained right". It's very naive to not read what's being said between the lines. Of course she's basically a two years old rookie doing nothing but squash matches, although her last, more competitive matches, against Statlander and Taya (where the hell is she ?) were her best.

As far as improving as a worker, first off I doubt a few weeks at the PC will change anything. She's not gonna work NXT for three years either. She will get thrown into the main event mix from day one she'll be on TV. Also, a big part of her appeal, at least at first, was the Goldy act, which she was doing really well for a while before it got stale (then got kinda fun again at the very end). Maybe she'll improve super fast and be a compelling worker in no time, I dunno, I won't be there to watch it happen anyway. She probably sees herself as the female Brock Lesnar and expect to be booked as such though. And really, I would have her debut at and win the Rumble and face the champ at Mania and put the strap on her immediately, Goldy style, without the risk of having her become just another worker. Considering she's already aiming beyond WWE most probably, there's no time to waist. She's a case of all or nothing, no slow development (AEW was right about this, although she always struck me as very much taylor made for WWE).

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing is: she's at that Four Horsewomen/Bianca/Asuka level of looking like a star, but she waaaaay behind her in terms of in-ring ability. Ronda, who was essentially a pro-wrestling prodigy, had previous combat sports experience, and that can make things easier. Jade doesn't have that, and yeah, AEW doesn't really have a system to help young or less experienced wrestlers improve. 

The PC *DID* improve in terms of making athletes be ready for the main roster, and their recent class is fucking star-studded. I'm sure they can help Jade with that transition to Goldberg-like monster to actually competitive athlete.

41 minutes ago, El-P said:

Come on, you know that the crux of the thing was "She wasn't trained right". It's very naive to not read what's being said between the lines. Of course she's basically a two years old rookie doing nothing but squash matches, although her last, more competitive matches, against Statlander and Taya (where the hell is she ?) were her best.

As far as improving as a worker, first off I doubt a few weeks at the PC will change anything. She's not gonna work NXT for three years either. She will get thrown into the main event mix from day one she'll be on TV. Also, a big part of her appeal, at least at first, was the Goldy act, which she was doing really well for a while before it got stale (then got kinda fun again at the very end). Maybe she'll improve super fast and be a compelling worker in no time, I dunno, I won't be there to watch it happen anyway. She probably sees herself as the female Brock Lesnar and expect to be booked as such though. And really, I would have her debut at and win the Rumble and face the champ at Mania and put the strap on her immediately, Goldy style, without the risk of having her become just another worker. Considering she's already aiming beyond WWE most probably, there's no time to waist. She's a case of all or nothing, no slow development (AEW was right about this, although she always struck me as very much taylor made for WWE).

I'm not being naive I just don't think it was particularly petty because it is a very true comment.

2 hours ago, strobogo said:

I'm not being naive I just don't think it was particularly petty because it is a very true comment.

It was both, imo. Hunter didn't have to say anything other than "you'll see her soon" but he had to make a comment that not only took a jab at the competition but also backhandedly insulted her in the process.  My guess he was still riding the high of his big move and couldn't pass up the chance for another dig. 

Doubt it happens now but re: Roman/Rock,  Rock did say in that McAfee interview a couple months ago that Rock/Roman was at one point "locked in" for WM 39 this past year but they ended up unable to figure out how they wanted to do it and mentioned being open to a potential WM 40. 

Regarding Jade, I thought she looked really good in some of her longer matches against Tay Melo, Anna Jay, Taya, Marina Shafir, etc.  Agree that a Rumble debut win seems like the best idea for her.

What’s to figure out with Rock vs. Roman? The Rock doesn’t expect to WIN, does he? I could see a defiant Rock ultimately getting beaten/destroyed by Roman ala Stone Cold vs. Bret but refusing to acknowledge Roman the way he wants him to. The Rock would have to be somewhat delusional to think that he should win that match.

1 hour ago, El-P said:

Considering how Randy Orton looks from the SSeries pics, they really could have a nice "Wellness policy on a pole" match together.

But he has still been active to semi-active for the past 22 years! It's one thing for him to come back with a jacked body, the worst that can happen is what happened with Hunter in 2002, when the obscene added muscle mass made him severely more limited than he used to be, but didn't leave him extremely vulnerable to injury (apart from paper-thin quads that couldn't handle the roided muscles). Rock is a separate case. He got severely injured last he tried to wrestle in the main event (and the expectations of quality that carries) and since then, he has done nothing but make his body look cosmetically better for Hollywood (which he should, it is his primary job) by continuing to add ridiculous muscle mass. Combine that with his age, with his zero proper match-time experience in 11 years almost, and what happened to him last time he was in an actual match, I am 100% sure that while Rock likes stoking fires by talking about how his return was basically set in stone, upon reflection, there just is no way he is committing to a full-length WM main event, with all the quality that is expected in such a position. And I am 100% sure WWE, Vince, Hunter and Roman recognise that.

2 hours ago, Sweet Brown Koko said:

What’s to figure out with Rock vs. Roman? The Rock doesn’t expect to WIN, does he? I could see a defiant Rock ultimately getting beaten/destroyed by Roman ala Stone Cold vs. Bret but refusing to acknowledge Roman the way he wants him to. The Rock would have to be somewhat delusional to think that he should win that match.

That man was trying to protect BLACK ADAM against SUPERMAN. I'm 100% sure one of the reasons that match won't happen is that he wants to go over.

9 minutes ago, Embrodak said:

So what really is the overlap between WWE and AEW fans? Everybody aware of Punk had a bad taste in their mouth around him just a few months ago, but the reaction to Punk returning has been overwhelmingly positive everywhere I’ve looked, even on Reddit.

I am curious to see what kind of reaction Punk gets from a non-Chicago WWE crowd. Remember AEW fans were none too fond of Cody during his final AEW days, but WWE fans received him like the conquering hero when he returned, and they seem to still love him now. So I too am curious to see what kind of reaction Punk gets.

45 minutes ago, KawadaSmile said:

That man was trying to protect BLACK ADAM against SUPERMAN. I'm 100% sure one of the reasons that match won't happen is that he wants to go over.

Superman hasn't been hip or relevant as a movie franchise in decades though. At least Black Adam could have been the beginning of something new and cool (I haven't seen the movie yet - I plan to soon).

As for Roman, I really doubt Rock would insist on going over - he's the most unselfish major star in the history of wrestling and even put over The Hurricane.

47 minutes ago, KawadaSmile said:

Call me crazy, but Dwayne Johnson being very protective of his career (or rather of the portrayal of his characters) in recent years has to do something with Dwayne Johnson dreaming of the White House and his warped mind thinking that The Rock losing a wrestling match might make Dwayne Johnson look like a loser. I mean that thing has come up so often, there has to be some smoke to the fire.

I dunno if you’re doing Rock vs Roman that isn’t the story something like this; Rock returns and asserts because he is of Royal Samoan blood that he is the High Chief and outranks Roman.  At RR Cody defends against  Roman.  When the bloodline shenanigans starts Rock comes out and orders the BL to the back so Roman can be a man and do it himself pulling rank and they listen.  Roman drops the belt to Cody who can wrestle I dunno Punk or Orton at Mania.   Roman challenges the Rock at WM for High chief and loses with Bloodline and Heyman abandoning him (Punk maybe). Alone and defeat maybe Jey and Sammy have time for him and he transitions to a Face winning the rematch at Summerslam over the Rock ending with a handshake.  

That seems doable and wouldn’t involve the Rock jobbing at Mania

43 minutes ago, The Thread Killer said:

WWE fans received him like the conquering hero when he returned, and they seem to still love him now. So I too am curious to see what kind of reaction Punk gets.

WWE fans were making fun of Punk in AEW like he was "another washed up former WWE star", then because he was a toxic waste that was ruining that pissant company which proved WWE was right about him after all. Then the day he shows up it's like "OMG this is awesome CM Punk ! CM Punk ! CM Punk !"

Likewise the discourse about Cody in AEW was that he was a midcarder that never could make it in WWE and was not a star at all, which made AEW a joke. The day he shows up it was "OMG this is awesome ! Cody ! Cody ! Cody !"

My best guess is that until Punk provokes something bad involving someone whom they really love, which will probably never happen because his track record has been impeccable, he's gonna be celebrated everywhere. Pro-wrestling fans are the definition of fickle (and even more when dumb-ass tribalism is involved).

Roman shouldn't be jobbing to Dwayne. Ever. Under any circumstance. 

But for real, I don't think CM Punk will have too many problems, or cause too many problems backstage. His biggest (public) detractor, Rollins, already had legit beef with Riddle and their match turned out fine, so the precedent of him working with people he doesn't like is there. I don't see him crossing paths with Roman anytime soon. He mended fences with The Miz. Most other top guys he could work with are too savvy to not poke the bear or just be a dick, like Jack Perry.

He's the anti-Cody in the sense that while Rhodes was portrayed as someone with a chip on his shoulder, Punk can 100% be portrayed as someone who holds a grudge, is bitter etc. One is wholesome, the other is Phil Brooks. Happy-go-lucky Punk in AEW was the lowest part of his run. He's at his best when he's a miserable prick.

30 minutes ago, El-P said:

You way underestimate Punk's amazing ability to be an unbearable prick to anyone in no time. :lol:

He absolutely is! And he was a prick to maaaaany people in WWE - Miz, Hornswoggle are two examples, and other people don't like him -, but I am talking about stuff like him going out of his way to bury others on press conferences, punch other talent, lunge at execs etc. 

There is that story about him trying to be the locker room leader and people just laughing at him, but nothing physical came out of it.

Either way, it's a win-win because I like backstage drama.