• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Blow is the right word:

Total Receipts: $50,232,567

Candidate Loans: $49,500,000

Candidate Contribution: $604,984

Someone who has more time (since I need to hop in a meeting), could sift through the "LINDA MCMAHON FOR SENATE 2010" committee to see how much she raised from other folks. That won't include outside PACs, the RNC, etc.

John

• 8 months later...

Time to fire this puppy up again:

McMahon 'leaning strongly' toward Conn. Senate bid

This has got to freak out Christopher Shays, who was hoping for a fairly easy to the nomination unless he got teapartied. Linda's cash is a problem. On the other hand, Linda's negatives are pretty high... though they weren't massive among GOPers.

This also must make Chris Murphy and Susan Bysiewicz giddy. They will likely poll much better against Linda than against Shays.

John

I'm not so sure. She spent around $30M to win the nomination, which flooded the state with name recogniton. She spend around another $20M after that, which was just Aug 10 - Nov 2. She blew threw it.

Her opponent probably will fund raise if he stay in through the end. Simmons only spent $3,061,644.

Then come the general, she's going to be buying media in a feeding frenzy. Blumenthal spent $8.7M, and since he won the nomination in a cake walk, most of that was in the General. Her opponent will likely spend more than that. Also, the DNC and DSCC will support this as one key seat they want to hold, funding it until the polls make clear that McMahon is too far back. Then we'll have Obama and the GOP Nominee buying left and right, along with every Citizens United astroturf entity coming out of the woodworks. It's going to be an expensive campaign.

I wouldn't be surprised if she drops another $40M+. Though that might shrink if the Citizens money floods in epic levels.

John

Their problem is that Linda's name recognition is Negative. The last polls I saw had her doing much worse agaisnt the two likely nominees compared to several not-so-well known GOP candidates. The only way to change the negatives is to rebuild it. How?

You got it, more cash. :)

And no doubt she's going to be surrounded by a team of campaign opperatives who will be more than happy to soak her dry because it's big business.

It's going to be too tempting not to drop a lot of cash. Simply getting back into the campaign a year later gives a clear indication of how badly she wants it.

John

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Figured this was worth a bump after the rise of former WWF lobbyist Rick Santorum to become the not-Mitt-Romney of the moment. The NYT did a piece on him:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/07/us/polit...-tone.html?_r=2

I find it somewhat interesting that the author knew the term heel but not babyface.

It's been so long I'd forgotten the F in WWF stood for Foundation. ;)

Figured this was worth a bump after the rise of former WWF lobbyist Rick Santorum to become the not-Mitt-Romney of the moment. The NYT did a piece on him:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/07/us/polit...-tone.html?_r=2

I find it somewhat interesting that the author knew the term heel but not babyface.

That's probably because heel is a mainstream term for villain.

That's probably because heel is a mainstream term for villain.

Yes, but it's a dated one. When I hear hoofbeats, I don't think of zebras.

Yes, but in light of that it maks sense that they'd say "heel" and not "babyface."

I remember seeing the "Foundation" mistake before in a Santorum article so this might be an updated reprint.