Pro Wrestling Only

Linda McMahon for Senate catch-all thread

Loss

I was wondering last night if that was actually the worst thing I've ever seen on WWE programming. I mean, yeah, Katie Vick, Gobbeldegooker, whatever. At least those things were sort of self-contained. They didn't really address anything outside the world of WWE-land. I gotta think Linda's people were not happy when it aired.

• Replies 695
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was wondering last night if that was actually the worst thing I've ever seen on WWE programming. I mean, yeah, Katie Vick, Gobbeldegooker, whatever. At least those things were sort of self-contained. They didn't really address anything outside the world of WWE-land. I gotta think Linda's people were not happy when it aired.

The thought behind it might have been terrible, but I thought the execution was actually quite funny right until Vince stood up. And then again at the very end. The Daniel Bryan line was especially funny and surprisingly self-aware. It's always bad when Vince gets into excrement though .... Granted, the execution of the Gooker segment is actually pretty amazing too. Mean Gene does such a good job with it that the live crowd goes from being miserable and hateful to actually really enjoying it. It boggled my mind the last time I watched that segment.

Come on, it's not even close to Dr. Heiny or Rosie vs. Trump and a million other things. I thought it was funny. I laughed at Vince's heart rate immediately shooting up when he heard the $50 million figure, and the "Did Cena destroy Nexus yet?" - "Actually, Cena is in Nexus now" dialogue. And the Daniel Bryan line was great.

Guest Slickster

Stephanie says "Honey, I just had the weirdest dream. Dad is still in a coma, right?"

Off-camera, you hear Triple H say "Yep, he's still in a coma. I'm pretty sure he's brain-dead."

Stephanie breathes a sigh of relief and goes back to sleep.

Fin

And the winner is....

Fox News Network has projected Richard Blumenthal to win the U.S. Senate race in Connecticut over Linda McMahon.

With 1% of the precincts reporting, Blumenthal is leading 60% to 39%. But that combined with exit polling and the network just came through with its projection.

Linda McMahon, flanked by family members, gave her concession speech tonight. She introduced, among others, daughter Stephanie, Vince, son-in-law Paul (HHH) as well as Shane and Marissa McMahon, Jerry McDevitt and other family members.

In her concession speech, she said she considered it amoral victory.

LOLtasic Freudian slip typo aside, nothing says "moral victory" like your husband shitting on your opponent's banner.

Stephanie says "Honey, I just had the weirdest dream. Dad is still in a coma, right?"

Off-camera, you hear Triple H say "Yep, he's still in a coma. I'm pretty sure he's brain-dead."

Stephanie breathes a sigh of relief and goes back to sleep.

Fin

And of course it was a reference to to the last "Newhart", which is pretty cool.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Representative Chris Murphy is the likely Dem nominee. He was thought as a possibility to run when Dodd stepped aside, and Blum had been thought of as likely to run agaist Leib in 2012. They seemed to flip spots.

Lieb has no support among Dems in the state, and his support among independants sucks as well. He can't get the Dem nomination. The Dem establishment may try to clear the primary of folks like Murphy, but that won't keep someone from running... nor from getting enough funding to get on their air enough to get name recognition and votes.

If he tries to run indy, he run into a massive problem: the GOP can't do what it did last time, which was abandon their candidate in the general so that GOP voters went with Lieb instead of Lamont. As we saw in the recent set of primaries, the GOP establisment can't control the primaries anymore. The can, and do, control the candidates once they got nominated and get to Washington, as we're seeing with Rand Paul. But they can't prevent a Rand or Angle or O'Donnell or Miller from running against their chosen candidates. Worse yet, the base GOP voters, while in the end voting for whoever gets nominated, aren't very controllable in the primaries.

So if Lieb goes indy, he has no Dem base, and over on the GOP side *at the very worst* will be an O'Donnell. And while she's batshit crazy and a joke of a candidate, the teaparty base has no problem with batshit crazy: they fucking nuts as well and bask in the shared insanity of O'Donnell.

Add into the fact that the GOP nominee for President will likely be over on the extreme as well. On the other side will be Obama, and for whatever annoyance a lot of progressive like me of seeing yet another Corporate Democrat in the White House, we will come out to vote when the alternative is a right wing nutter.

Given those two sets of "base" voters that will be turning out huge in 2012, there is no spot for Lieb. He can run Indy, but he'd finish third.

Lieb's ego is such that he might not want to have his final campaign end up 3rd. On the other hand, he flat out hates progressives, and knows that they have a massive target aimed at taking him down as payback for 2006. He might be dumb enough to think that he can fuck over the progressives (and the Dems in general) by running as an indy to draw away enough voters from say Murphy to allow the GOP nominee to win.

I don't think that's going to work.

Most recent polling that I've seen on Lieb is here from PPP:

Lieberman in Serious Trouble for 2012 (pdf)

It was conducted in late September, early October. Bleak for Lieb, and it's unlikely that he's going to do anything in the next two years other than piss the folks in CT off more.

I would enjoy watching Linda piss away another $50M, though.

John

Linda can't really be serious about running again, can she? She's just saying that to save face, right? I mean, she lost by double digits in a very Republican-friendly campaign cycle to a weak candidate, and the more voters in Connecticut learned about Linda, the less they liked her. By 2012, she could be looking at a 20+ point loss.

Linda can't really be serious about running again, can she? She's just saying that to save face, right? I mean, she lost by double digits in a very Republican-friendly campaign cycle to a weak candidate, and the more voters in Connecticut learned about Linda, the less they liked her. By 2012, she could be looking at a 20+ point loss.

Unfortunately I don't think Linda realises this. On Face The State, a cheery Linda McMahon ably abetted by friendly interviewer Dennis House was pushing how she energized the local Republican party and how she did better than any Republican Senate nominee in over 40 years. Moreover, she went out of her way to suck up to Connecticut voters. So she didn't sound like she was saving face and cutting her losses, she sounded like she was positioning herself for another run, despite her complaints about a gotcha media that gave Richard Blumenthal a comparative free pass.