Pro Wrestling Only

Linda McMahon for Senate catch-all thread

Loss

• Replies 695
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's about where I would have expected it.

Linda got 43.2% of the vote in 2010. That's pretty much where her ceiling has been in the polling so far: getting the folks who voted for her last time against a candidate who was a little shaky at times.

In turn, Murphy is running state-wide for the first time. He's not as fully known, moving from State Rep (1 of 151 in the state) to State Senator (1 of 36) to US Rep (1 of 5 in CT).

John

A hypothetical 45-38 lead would give Linda a decent outside shot. 50-42 MUCH less so, because it means Linda needs to get significantly better turnout from her base *and* win around 3/4ths of the undecideds. Voters are less and less likely to drop a candidate with the increase in partisanship nationwide, so she can't count on swaying any of those currently supporting Murphy.

• 2 weeks later...

Linda McMahon benefits from political silly season in Connecticut

One poll shows Linda ahead by 3% after she ran a series of ads criticising Murphy for absenteeism for Congressional financial hearings. There's the fun of the McMahon campaign criticising Murphy for landing expensive earmarks for Connecticut job creation, while WWE under Linda took advantage of the same tax subsidies for job creation in their movie division. Also, WWE crowing about Murphy running ads during Monday Night Raw proving that they're family friendly programming. Murphy's ad response to being behind in the polls is what you would expect:

As CEO of World Wrestling Entertainment Linda McMahon had a plan. Shift profits overseas to avoid U.S. taxes. Deny her employees healthcare and disability [benefits] to increase her profits. Now McMahon has another plan: tax cuts for the wealthy, including a $7 million tax cut for herself. McMahon's plan for the middle class: cuts to medicare and education. Linda McMahon: always for her, never for us.

I think if this is all the dirt they've got on Murphy, then she'll have a tough time keeping the race close.

Early polling after (i) she locked up the nomination to draw the entire GOP to her, and (ii) has spent a boatload to rehab her image. Murphy has only recently put much effort into the General, instead also focusing on getting the nomination. There are diminishing returns on Linda's money (and outside money for her) in the state simply because he's a small state, and relatively cheap (to larger states) to get your message out. It's not terribly bad to see her close: it focuses the Dems on knowing a reasonable amount will need to be spent to have Murphy win.

John

• 3 weeks later...

But McMahon made a similar statement in an interview with a local television station last year. The interview was flagged by the liberal super PAC American Bridge.

“I’d like to see everyone pay their fair share,” McMahon told WTNH on the day her campaign launched. “Forty-seven percent of the people today don’t pay any taxes, so let’s have a fair tax code where everybody pays their taxes.”

LOL. :)

I love it.

R's complain about high taxes, then pass tax cuts that end up leading to a good chunk of people not paying any federal income taxes at all. If I were Romney (or any R candidate), I'd be like, "Sweet! Mission accomplished! Now let's start working on the other 53 percent that are still stuck paying federal income taxes."

But what do the R's do? Start bitching about people who don't pay federal income taxes, largely due to tax cuts that they themselves pushed for and enacted!

Whenever I think wrestling is too absurd to continue following, I just turn on Fox News. My faith in wrestlingis immediately restored.

This will be interesting to see if it gets any traction:

http://www.myleftnutmeg.com/diary/14465/he...t-voters-to-see

On the 47% item, it makes Linda look bad:

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/09/19/1...-point-she-used

She was for the 47% talking point before she was against it. Richer than Mitt and wants to cut her own taxes? It's a hard talking point for her that's going to be hammered.

John

Her campaign is very WWE-like in its hubris. She blatantly misquoted a journallist on one of her flyers, and when the journalist complained and demanded a retraction they basically told her tough shit.

Also the deal with WWE pulling Attitude Era stuff off YouTube to keep Linda's enemies from having easy access to ammo against her makes me wonder how is that not breaking the rules that state a company can't assist a candidate like that? One is clearly helping the other here.

http://theday.com/article/20120918/NWS12/120919659/1047

http://m.theday.com/assets/pdf/NL124742918.PDF

It really is amazing how long this thing lingered: from 4/19/76 to 2/26/82.

The other odd thing is that it's strange how Vince went that far into debt *before* he owned Capital Sports / Titan Sports / WWF. Linda and he have made some odd claims about how they went into bk: Linda claims it was while building the WWE business, while Vince has a vague comment about it being after he made his first fortune and from bad investments. Given the IRS and bank creditors being the major players, it... doesn't really add up.

Of course Murphy has his own financial issue with the foreclosure against his home.

John

Didn't Vince lose a lot of money promoting Evel Knievel's Snake River jump on closed circuit in the mid 70's, and the Ali/Inoki debacle? As well as some other, smaller promotional failings such as boxing or arena investment?

He promoted one or both of those events with Bob Arum's Top Rank, which is listed as a creditor for $4,600 or so

The failed investment in construction and cement that Vince cites in the Playboy article also adds up, as a good deal of the creditors are related to that, such as Conn. state pension plans, insurance, etc. that he stopped paying into

A lot of the creditors claim small amounts indicating they were recent bills Vince was unable to pay as he was in the red, such as a what looks to be a chartered flight with a small airline, a stay at a Marriot, etc.

The large amounts owed to banks make perfect sense. Given McMahon's business connections and at one time real or presumed wealth, it's no surprise that multiple banks would allow him large lines of credit, either direct loans or credit cards issued through the banks

I doubt Vince stopped paying federal taxes outright for 5 years, just used "creative accounting" to shield his wealth, and got caught. Explains why to this day he hates the IRS so much.

Sr. was allegedly small investor in the Snake River jump, but the real money man was Shelly Saltman which led to a rather famous side story.

I think Vince's involvement and potential losses in Inoki-Ali is wildly overstated.

Instead given the massive loans, it comes across that Vince was living to high on the hog. The IRS debt looks to be simple standard pro wrestling lying about income / under reporting. Vince didn't have enough cash to cover it.