Pro Wrestling Only

Linda McMahon for Senate catch-all thread

Loss

• Replies 695
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No, it's a preventative defensive measure disguised as a manufactured grass-roots movement. It's said that Blumenthal's people have finally learned most of the real bad insider dirt on the McMahons (my mental image is a room full of interns poring over stacks of old Observer back issues), but the Democratic campaign managers are holding it back as an ace up their sleeve in order to really zap Linda with some of the worst stuff right before the election.

No, it's a preventative defensive measure disguised as a manufactured grass-roots movement. It's said that Blumenthal's people have finally learned most of the real bad insider dirt on the McMahons (my mental image is a room full of interns poring over stacks of old Observer back issues), but the Democratic campaign managers are holding it back as an ace up their sleeve in order to really zap Linda with some of the worst stuff right before the election.

That makes sense, I wondered why Vince/WWE was all of a sudden so hellbent on "correcting the misinformation" reported about them. I wonder what political people consider as the real bad stuff. I'm hoping it leads to stories about Vince having coke-fueled orgies or some other outlandish behavior that would be entirely expected of him.

Of course, knowing how it usually ends when Democrats try to go on the attack it will probably be some Earth shattering development like "our research shows the Doink character may have been played by more than one person. WHAT IS LINDA TRYING TO HIDE FROM AMERICA???"

This Stand Up for the WWE seems like a really bad idea. Did they not hire a real political consultant? Are they doing everything in house?

I imagine the kind of WWE fan who will respond to this ad campaign is exactly the kind of WWE fan you want to hide from public view:

Dear Assclown Editor,

Your article was unfair to the WWE and so I will “Stand up for the WWE”…

I’d also like to correct where your article ignores the way women are programmed as I know some truths…and let me tell you about the Jews…

Sincerely,

Showmeyourpuppies420

If there is a political lesson to be learned from Glen Beck's rally in DC, it is telling your supporters to refrain from making their own signs is key to controling your message.

When this is over, we need to figure out which pissed away more of Shane, Steph and Trip's inheritance: the XFL or Linda running for the Senate?

John

My understanding is that NBC took the majority of the lumps for the XFL, all things considered WWE probably lost more money on stuff like their restaurant closing (which if my memory of WON back issues is correct, wiped out most of what would have been their highest profit year).

XFL is a little tough to put a clear number on the losses. The FY ending 4/2002 financial statements toss out number right around $50M.

Someone with a background on sifting through how the bodies get displayed and buried in financial statements would be better suited for cutting through the numbers. Companies use losses to reduce taxes. The WWE also sold then repurchased $30M in shares each from NBC and Viacom, the repurchase being as a loss of around $3M each... but they also can use accounting methods to lessen the loss there, such as recouping it through taxes in what otherwise were great financial years for the WWE. So the true, net, post-taxes loss to the compay is... harder to put a number on.

That said, I've kind of hammered the point over the years that the folly of the XFL came at a time when the WWE had its maximum credibility in the entertainment/financial world as a Entertainment Company. Revenues were sky high and growing. Ratings were strong and a fixture of success on cable. They were the entity holding up the PPV industry. While not everything they touched turned gold (WWF Resturaunt), most of it did... and the failures largely were out of the eye of the entertainment/financial movers and shakers.

How much cred at the time?

The got NBC and Viacom to invest in the XFL and fork over $60M for WWF stock. The XFL was always doomed to fail, but the WWF had enough cha-ching at the time to sucker those two in.

The WWF could have much better used that lost money, investment potential (be it NBC, Viacom or someone else in the TV entertainment business) and cha-ching to create that they really needed at the time and since: a WWE Channel. We've talked over the years at the cost involved in that, but at the time of the XFL there were major players wanting to partner with the WWF on doomed businesses. New cable channels at the time weren't exactly doomed businesses.

I've always thought that the "losses" related to the XFL are much more than the direct losses on the division. They took away money, resources, focus and company credibility from other ventures that could have been profitable for the company in the long run, and an benefitial to the operations of their WWF businenss.

John

It's not discriminatory, it's an ancient rule. You can't advertise or shill for a candidate within a certain distance of the polling location. That's why all the old folks with their party signs and lawn chairs are always a discrete distance away from the voting booths; the law says they can't come any closer. And it's hardly a stretch to consider the WWE name as being inextricably linked to the woman who was its CEO for fifteen years and is still married to the controlling stockholder. Linda's press machine will whine about it, but it's an absolutely fair ruling.