Pro Wrestling Only

Linda McMahon for Senate catch-all thread

Loss

• Replies 695
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"Eddie and Chris" were Eddie Fatu, also known as "Umaga," and Chris Klucsarits, who wrestled as "Chris Kanyon." Both had died of prescription drug overdoses, at ages 35 and 40, respectively, within months of McNaught's interview, conducted on April 5.

This passage stood out.

Obviously, that's not the "Eddie and Chris" that Lance Cade was referring to, but it's interesting that you can talk about deaths of wrestlers in the past few years by first name and have people misinterpret who you're talking about, but still be right.

Meltzer mentioned Cade, Umaga and Charlie found Russ Haas dead in 2001 which got me thinking - when WWE pulled out of Memphis in 2001 they kept 6 guys: Russ & Charlie Haas, Umaga, Rosey, Cade and Steve Bradley. 4 are dead less than 10 years later.

Wow... that is pretty daunting. :(

John

Seriously, why can't WWE just let these poor folks die without kicking dirt on them? You'd think that Linda would have an army of publicists at her disposal that would tell her that claiming to have only met Lance Cade once does her no favors. I know these people reside in nothing resembling the real world, but you'd think that they would at least endeavor not to piss off so many people that could come back and haunt them in the polls.

Seriously, why can't WWE just let these poor folks die without kicking dirt on them? You'd think that Linda would have an army of publicists at her disposal that would tell her that claiming to have only met Lance Cade once does her no favors. I know these people reside in nothing resembling the real world, but you'd think that they would at least endeavor not to piss off so many people that could come back and haunt them in the polls.

Because the WWE is run by people who have no class or empathy. I'm trying not to Mcmahon bash here but they look down on wrestlers apparently despite the fact that without their workers they would never have had the success that they've had but you can say that about many businesses small and large. It's disgusting how they claim they can't provide health insurance because their workers are "independent contractors" and yet they maintain ridiculous control over their lives.

The uber one sided WWE Death Clause is doing the rounds again on forums after Irv posted in on his blog:

WRESTLER, on behalf of himself and his heirs, successors, assigns and personal representatives, hereby releases, waives and discharges PROMOTER from all liability to WRESTLER and covenants not to sue PROMOTER for any and all loss or damage on account of injury to any person or property or resulting in serious or permanent injury to WRESTLER or WRESTLER’s death, whether caused by the negligence of the PROMOTER, other wrestlers or otherwise.

I guess they learned to cover themselves after Owen Hart.

"I waive my right to sue you" clauses are iffy enough when you're just signing for yourself. But is it actually legal to sign away the rights of "heirs, successors, assigns and personal representatives"? I don't see how that could possibly work. Let's say Owen Hart signed one of those; would any judge take that sentence seriously and say "well, grieving widow and orphans, your daddy signed this piece of paper so you aren't allowed to file any litigation whatsoever against the company that killed him". I assume it's probably one of those things which they get away with just because it's wrestling and nobody cares? Shit like this really ignites my inner Marxist.

Dave sez:

Every wrestler I've asked about the "once or twice" said that's b.s. A guy like Cade would be taught to go up to Linda and shake her hand every time she was at a show, company function, etc. Plus wrestlers are often brought to the office.

One wrestler of similar level and tenure as Cade when I asked him how many times he figured Cade met Linda estimated the number at 50.

"I waive my right to sue you" clauses are iffy enough when you're just signing for yourself. But is it actually legal to sign away the rights of "heirs, successors, assigns and personal representatives"? I don't see how that could possibly work. Let's say Owen Hart signed one of those; would any judge take that sentence seriously and say "well, grieving widow and orphans, your daddy signed this piece of paper so you aren't allowed to file any litigation whatsoever against the company that killed him". I assume it's probably one of those things which they get away with just because it's wrestling and nobody cares? Shit like this really ignites my inner Marxist.

Historically, that clause might have a tough time surviving a case. Given various decisions by the Roberts Court, it would stand a far higher chance of surviving now. Very pro-corporate/employer, especially in contracts.

John

• 2 weeks later...

Yale law prof disputes McMahon camp stance on "death clause"

It is not true that World Wrestling Entertainment has never invoked a clause in its wrestlers’ contracts absolving the company of liability in an injury or death, according to a Yale Law School professor.

In fact, WWE invoked the so-called "death clause" in a countersuit against Martha Hart, whose husband, Owen Hart, fell 78 feet to his death from a harness in May 1999, Robert Solomon said.

Oops! :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

She's caught the attention of President Obame, who has come out to suppot Blumenthal and criticise McMahon.

Obama Stumps for Blumenthal in Conn.: 'Public Service Is Not a Game'... Like Wrestling

“This is the kind of leader you want representing you, somebody you know,” Obama said of Blumenthal, “somebody who doesn’t just show up and try to get a victory by writing a big check and flooding the airwaves with negative ads.”

“I understand she has promised a smack down,” Obama said of McMahon. “And look, there’s no doubt I can see how somebody who has been in professional wrestling would think that they are right at home in the U.S. Senate if they were watching some of the behavior that’s been going on. But the truth is -- and Dick understands this –- public service is not a game.”

• 2 weeks later...

This. Wow:

Between 2001 and 2008, McMahon’s company paid at least $680,000 to lobby Congress and federal agencies over such issues as the defense authorization bills of 2002 and 2003, which included taxpayer-funded advertising programs during wrestling programs.

This. Wow:

Between 2001 and 2008, McMahon’s company paid at least $680,000 to lobby Congress and federal agencies over such issues as the defense authorization bills of 2002 and 2003, which included taxpayer-funded advertising programs during wrestling programs.

Everyone loves their own government spending, and hates "other people's" spending. It's the same as those folks who hate spending on healthcare, but don't want anyone to touch their Medicare.

Anyone see the story of the house that burned down with the fire department standing around with their thumb up their ass because the homeowner didn't pay their Fire Department Subscription? That should tell everyone all they need to know about why we need taxes and government services.

John

• 2 weeks later...

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2010/10...claim-video.php

McDevitt threats always entertain.

After his initial interview, McDevitt sent TPM an email calling Chatterton's allegations "false and defamatory." In the interview, McDevitt had declined to answer a hypothetical about whether the McMahons' lawsuit could ever be brought forward again. McDevitt wrote TPM:

When you asked me that question yesterday, I told you I would not answer a hypothetical question.

I have thought about your question overnight. We did quite a bit of discovery in that case and would have loved to have tried that case but could not for the reasons I explained. But make no mistake-if those false allegations are repeated now and again, Mr. McMahon will pursue all available remedies against those associated with this smear job.

When TPM told McDevitt that a story detailing the lawsuit would be published today, he said, "You do so at your peril. Preserve all your notes, I'm going to send a litigation hold notice."

He added, "We will treat any republication of those allegations as libel and defamation. ... I say this on behalf of Mr. McMahon."

Is there anything more smug and hateful than a lawyer who pulls out the old "I'll sue you!" card at the drop of a hat? Especially for pointless shit like this. Chatteron's allegations were repeated all over the national news media back in the day. It's not like they ever got a court order that said the whole world would never be allowed to mention them ever again. And that's a laughably loose definition of "libel", bearing no relation to the actual legal term. McDevitt knows this shit, but he's still playing the bully anyway.