Pro Wrestling Only

Linda McMahon for Senate catch-all thread

Loss

Speaking of debates, I wonder how Vince feels about the VP debate supplanting his match with Punk as the week's most entertaining beatdown by an old man. To further tie it into wrestling, conservatives are now trying to say that Biden should be disqualified for kicking too much ass in the same manner that a wrestler who refuses to break a hold after the bell has his win overturned by the ref.

• Replies 695
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Leading wrestling journalist Dave Meltzer on why former WWE CEO Linda McMahon is running for senate on his radio show earlier today:

It's always good to have a Senator who's married to the boss, to the person who owns the company, for so many reasons. I mean if there is another situation like Benoit, you know, I mean it's like your get out of jail free card. There ain't gonna be any big Senate investigations if Linda McMahon's there. And just the prestige. I mean the whole thing with the McMahons, they go from being, you know, rich sleazy wrestling promoters to, you know, a family in the Senate and from a reputation standpoint that's a giant jump, it's a big jump.

I feel like I'm on the only person on this site who doesn't have a website/blog or podcast.

I was about to tell you I don't, then I remembered this is my board. Genuinely funny moment.

Yes, you are a bad example. I think I am the least knowledgeable wrestling fan on this site.

I have tunnel vision and no blog.

http://www.theday.com/article/20121016/NWS...10169924/-1/nws

I think Linda McMahon might have done better at Monday night's Senate debate with Chris Murphy if she had simply taken out a cigarette lighter and set hundred-dollar bills on fire.

At least that's how I have seen McMahon's performance in the last three debates of the race; there goes a lot more of the McMahon fortune down the drain.

The tax issues got a lot of play in the Connecticut media yesterday. Meanwhile, Linda's loaned over $27 million of her own money by the end of September on this election cycle alone. Given that the last month will have the most spending, I guess total cost of her two runs will be between $90-100 million. So much for the second campaign being cheaper than the first.

It seems that this race has caused the monocle to pop out of the eye of someone at The New Republic:

http://www.tnr.com/blog/plank/108687/why-d...ons-senate-race

Stuff like this just smacks of cultural elitism (note the reader comment about "coarsening of popular culture"). Wrestling fandom has become almost exclusively the province of the poor and uneducated, and I'm inclined to believe that Democrats harping on the issue has caused a backlash among working-class voters.

That's not really borne out by the latest polls. McMahon's ahead 38-31% with working class men, but has a similar lead in college educated men 48-40%. Murphy is slightly ahead with working class women 42-40%, but the big difference is college educated women where Murphy is ahead 55-28%. Really if there's a pro wrestling backlash it's with women who find the product offensive and sleazy.

It seems that this race has caused the monocle to pop out of the eye of someone at The New Republic:

http://www.tnr.com/blog/plank/108687/why-d...ons-senate-race

Stuff like this just smacks of cultural elitism (note the reader comment about "coarsening of popular culture"). Wrestling fandom has become almost exclusively the province of the poor and uneducated, and I'm inclined to believe that Democrats harping on the issue has caused a backlash among working-class voters.

People were shitting on wrestling in newspapers in the 1920s.

We're fans of a garbage form of entertainment that has long been one of the cesspools of the entertainment business. It's not just "cultural elites" who think it's a fucking joke: most of the nation does, and has for our entire lives. It's a waste of time to (i) worry about it, and (ii) get all worked up about it being elitism when people think it sucks. I mean... frankly it does suck, but we love it anyway. We need to get over it.

John

That's not really borne out by the latest polls. McMahon's ahead 38-31% with working class men, but has a similar lead in college educated men 48-40%. Murphy is slightly ahead with working class women 42-40%, but the big difference is college educated women where Murphy is ahead 55-28%. Really if there's a pro wrestling backlash it's with women who find the product offensive and sleazy.

That's the thing, though. Linda shouldn't be leading among working-class voters at all. In 2010, she only won 39% of the votes of those with a family income of less than $50,000 and 43% of the votes of those with a high school education or less. It's not a general anti-Democrat sentiment, since polls show Obama with a comfortable lead. There has to be something else at play.

People were shitting on wrestling in newspapers in the 1920s.

We're fans of a garbage form of entertainment that has long been one of the cesspools of the entertainment business. It's not just "cultural elites" who think it's a fucking joke: most of the nation does, and has for our entire lives. It's a waste of time to (i) worry about it, and (ii) get all worked up about it being elitism when people think it sucks. I mean... frankly it does suck, but we love it anyway. We need to get over it.

John

I don't have a problem with people viewing wrestling as lowbrow or trashy. It's the notion that involvement in wrestling is so disreputable as to be a disqualifying offense for someone seeking high office. There are plenty of legitimate criticisms to be made of the impact the McMahons have had on the wrestling industry, but most of the actual criticisms tend to be of the moral panic variety. There's been far more discussion of the propriety of Vince making Trish bark like a dog than of the propriety of the death clause.

That is a complete pile of horseshit. Maybe you want to waste your life watching things you don't like/respect, but don't expect anyone else not to see what a huge waste that is.

Sturgeon's Law, dude. 90% of everything is crap. It's not specific to wrestling.

That's the thing, though. Linda shouldn't be leading among working-class voters at all. In 2010, she only won 39% of the votes of those with a family income of less than $50,000 and 43% of the votes of those with a high school education or less. It's not a general anti-Democrat sentiment, since polls show Obama with a comfortable lead. There has to be something else at play.

The Democrats went after pro wrestling hard too in 2010. I think it has more to do with Linda doing a great job of casting her relatively unknown opponent (compared to Dick Blumenthal who was the State's Attorney General for two decades) as a lazy slacker in Congress who used his political office to get a sweetheart loan from a bank he helped bail out when he was in financial difficulty, than any perceived cultural elitism from their WWE bashing.