Pro Wrestling Only

[1993-04-02-AJW-Dream Slam I] Kyoko Inoue & Takako Inoue vs Mayumi Ozaki & Cutie Suzuki

Loss

• 1 month later...

End the giant swing already! Good Lord.

That said, great match, but not quite as good as the January match in JWP for me, but Takako and partner vs Ozaki and partner in 1993 seems to be a promise of an excellent match.

All the action and nearfalls you'd expect from the time period.

• 10 months later...

All the action and nearfalls you'd expect from the time period.

Nearfalls are especially what makes this. The build is really good but nothing mind blowing but the final stretch really puts it over the top. Re-watching Dreamslam 1 over the past few days I actually think this is only the 4th best match on the show.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

39.5 rotations on the giant swing. Yes, I went back and counted.

This was really quickly paced without feeling overwhelming, as the multitude of near-falls were based around rollups and takedowns more than big moves. If anything I was prepared for this to go a little longer than it did. Excellent match, though. Ozaki, like Liger and the lucha Ninja Turtles, amazes me by being able to wrestle so smoothly in that outfit.

• 1 year later...

Great lighting and production here for an AJW show. Good exchanges with Takako & Oz early before Kyoko & Suzuki are in for giant swing and quicker pace. Suzuki back with German on Takako and Oz comes in to kick & stomp her, because she is awesome and can do this. Nice quick tagging by both squads throughout. Kyoko goes for a shoulder off the top, but Oz stops her and hits a nice somersault dive. Cuty dragon suplexes Kyoko for a near fall, then she and Oz hit 5 successive top rope stomps before Takako breaks it up. That looked painful and was great. Kyoko pulls off a power bomb on Oz and is finally able to tag out. Oz flips out a couple powerbomb attempts as well as an armdrag and counters with a rana because she is the man. I seriously love her. Along with Bull easily one of my 2 favorite women. Kyoko does hit another power bomb but Suzuki with a last second save. Interesting to see Oz the one bailed out here down the stretch. Takako eventually slams Oz off of Kyoko's shoulders for the win. Ozaki! She makes everything good.

• 2 months later...

Great match. I love the Inoue's as a tag team and Ozaki is probably my favorite joshi worker ever at this point. The pace was frantic here but it did provide some good structure and double team moves and got over the inter promotional aspect of the show overall. A well executed showcase match on a loaded card. ****

This show was my first ever experience of Joshi Puroresu, so holds many fond memories. I can remember buying the tape and having absolutely no idea of what to expect. You don't get that sense of diving into the completely unknown anymore. Although I'd happily swap that feeling for Youtube any day of the week.

I'd agree with Flik that this is only the 4th best match of the show. That doesn't sound like a compliment unless you watch it in full. Even the 7th best match is good. I can never stop myself from counting giant swing rotations. For the most part decent, but not standout action. The pure workrate needed a bit of spicing up with bitchiness and a rivalry. The stretch got hot with one spectacular Kyoko vs Oz exchange. It left me wanting to see the singles. Takako got a big win over Ozaki, albeit following a double team move.

• 1 year later...

I liked this. The sequence with all four women in the ring at the end was a bit too long, but otherwise this delivered.

Was the referee legitimately checking on Cutie to see if she was all right after that giant swing? It sure seemed like it. How kyoko could sustain that move for thirty-nine and a half rotations without either tearing her arms up or knocking both herself and her opponent silly I'll never know.

Those top-rope stomps on Kyoko by Mayumi and Cutie looked like they at least bruised her ribs, if not out-and-out fractured them. Who said women can't be as vicious as men?

I haven't seen an answer to this anywhere else, so I'll ask it here: Are Kyoko and Takako related? I know Inoue is a fairly common last name in Japan.

I haven't seen an answer to this anywhere else, so I'll ask it here: Are Kyoko and Takako related? I know Inoue as a fairly common last name in Japan.

Kyoko Inoue is unrelated to Takako Inoue who is unrelated to Wataru Inoue who is unrelated to Masao Inoue who is unrelated to Mighty Inoue.

In Mexico they'd all be part of one big wrestling family.

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Saw this for the first time today. Great stuff! They kept up a frantic pace and that was fun but for the second time in a row (for me), Mayumi Ozaki takes it to the next level. Her trashing Kyoko off the top then diving out onto her really set into motion the first big FIP segment of the match which led into those great double stomps off the top. Ozaki is just so great at being the worst that it's hard not to enjoy her stuff. Particularly liked her catching Kyoko off the middle rope for a German when Cuty held her in place. Incredibly fun match!

• GSR changed the title to [1993-04-02-AJW-Dream Slam I] Kyoko Inoue & Takako Inoue vs Mayumi Ozaki & Cutie Suzuki
  • 1 year later...

First time watching this for a while, it just showed up as a recommendation on YouTube, and it was still fantastic.  Giant swing so early was so crazy, and the buildup to the finishing stretch was pretty good.  The ending stretch was awesome, had me gripped in my seat again.  All four women were on point that night.

• 1 year later...

This was a decent enough work-rate sprint. Some of the big spots here were impressive, but they struggle to mean much as there is very little story here. Kyoko Inoue hits a big swing here that would make Cesaro blush and she impressed me here. It's clear she's the most powerful woman in the match and Cutie and Ozaki try to stop her from tagging back into the match. She eventually tags in and that's all the story-telling done with and this breaks down into a big spotfest. Like many of the other All Japan Women's matches of this era, this match felt like a mad rush with plenty of sloppy moments. You can have a lot of fun with this if you just turn your mind for twenty minutes and just be impressed by all the high spots. I just need that something extra in my wrestling. ★★★¼