Pro Wrestling Only

HHH taking over from Vince on RAW

Hollinger.

• Replies 736
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't JR throw out a lot of stupid nicknames around that time. Wasn't he trying to get the Bionic Redneck nickname to stick to Austin at the same time?

And Booger Red for Undertaker.

Then there's the WWE's penchant for scripting Cena to give his opponents awful nicknames like Y2Cheap and CM Sucks.

God, this. I keep wishing for Cena to use some of his capital to change the verbiage of his promos. Nothing makes him look lamer than the awful attempts his character makes to insult the heel, especially when there's usually a million more obvious (and better) jokes to make. It makes an odd sight, as they seem to be continually be trying to bury the guy who's the cornerstone of the entire company by making him look like a bigger and bigger goof in his promos. It makes it even more infuriating when he does a serious promo and is awesome doing it, then within seconds they have him do some painful comedy that just flushes it away again.

That's what annoyed me about the Rock stuff earlier this year. Rock was allowed to do whatever the fuck he wanted out there and they were still hamstringing Cena every chance they got. Cena doesn't need scripted promos. Let him fight Rock on even terms so your full time guy doesn't look like an asshole out there.

I agree that Cena just left to come up with his own material would probably be much better. It's kind of amazing that he has had the run he has had, because I can't think of a single program he's had during his entire time on top except maybe the Umaga feud that I'd call "hot". Dude has overcome some horrendous booking.

I think Edge was probably his biggest and best opponent during his big run on top but I don't feel like they ever went full tilt with that program. They seemed more content to force him to work with Randy Orton constantly and Orton really wasn't that over during the bulk of his stuff with Cena. It really amazes me sometimes that Orton is where he's at today. He's really a mini-HHH in the way that they had to go to extreme lengths to finally get him over enough to justify his push.

Other than the first Randy Orton feud with Orton punting his dad, I would agree that most of his feuds really never feel "hot." There are some hot moments every now and again but he has had a lot of programs that just felt like "the next guy for Cena to be matched up with." Sheamus feud immediately comes to mind. Bobby Lashley program is another.

EDIT: Oh yea the Edge feud worked really well too. That was probably his second best opponent. I feel like Orton is his best although they really ran that match into the ground. And Orton was never as over as they wanted him to be. I still they think they would have probably had a MOTC at No Mercy in 2007 if Cena hadn't got injured. And Orton wouldn't have been made to look like shit by HHH that night.

On paper, both seemed like good ideas.

Did they, though? Sin Cara isn't all that useful if no one else on the roster can work lucha style. And Kharma's a division killer when 90% of her opponents are barely trained swimsuit models. You can only run Kharma/Beth and Kharma/Nattie so many times.

WWE told Jim Ross to stop calling him that.

What did it even mean? Almost 10 years later and I'm still stumped.

I did some Googling, and and it means pretty much what you'd expect it to mean. It refers to someone who has red hair and is ugly as a booger.

It doesn't help that they rushed Sin Cara to the main roster. They should've known that lucha doesn't translate well to American style because the logic and pacing are completely different. What good is having a developmental system if you're too impatient to make sure a big time investment like Sin Cara can actually work with your roster. He was really set up for failure from day 1.

I think the real problem for Cena is the incompetence of the booking of their mid-card. Umaga is his biggest feud because Umaga is the longest the WWE got behind an act that wasn't a main eventer and really made sure they got over correctly. They didn't do anything to bury him before that feud. But look at some of the things they've done. They teased Cena vs. Christian, the fans responded really well and it never happened. MVP started making some progress as a heel, he got moved to Raw and buried. They botched Swagger. They don't get behind Kane. They had Edge job at several points that hurt him in the long run.

There's just a huge list of challengers and potential challengers for Cena where you can point to specific moments and say "this is why their feud wasn't as big as it could be." Cena is really a miracle product when you look at all the things they've done to screw him since he debuted.

They ran Cena/Jericho a gazillion times after Jericho's return, and I always thought it was bizarre that they never pushed the "You cost me my livelihood for 2 1/2 years, you bastard" aspect all that hard, if they even pushed it at all. Those two had good chemistry in and out of the ring after Jericho returned, but their on-and-off feuds were always so poorly booked.

Mentioning workrate and heel persona came very close to crossing the line into Russo 2000 booking.

It fit in the context of the whole Punk deal being all shooty and inside referential. Nothing at all odd about mentioning workrate and heel persona when you have Punk call out Johnny Ace for firing people over the phone and mentioning SHOOTNAMES~!. If he would have just mentioned it out of the blue then it would have been Russoific.

Also it helped that Cena is 100% right when he said he will never win that crowd over.

Mentioning workrate and heel persona came very close to crossing the line into Russo 2000 booking.

It fit in the context of the whole Punk deal being all shooty and inside referential. Nothing at all odd about mentioning workrate and heel persona when you have Punk call out Johnny Ace for firing people over the phone and mentioning SHOOTNAMES~!. If he would have just mentioned it out of the blue then it would have been Russoific.

Also it helped that Cena is 100% right when he said he will never win that crowd over.

No I mean it veered too closely to "This is not real". I can explain it in a kayfabe context but any more and it will be too far.

If this goes past Summerslam I guarantee they mention TNA by name. That is one of the last safe shoots they can do.

Gotta say, I marked out for Punk calling Johnny Ace "Funkman" tonight. I think only a very teeny tiny amount of people on the planet Earth will understand that Punk comparing Ace to Marty Funkhouser from Curb Your Enthusiasm, but I guarantee that teeny tiny amount of people loved him for it.

No I mean it veered too closely to "This is not real". I can explain it in a kayfabe context but any more and it will be too far.

If this goes past Summerslam I guarantee they mention TNA by name. That is one of the last safe shoots they can do.

Yeah, the difference is that Punk's "shoot" promos didn't intimate that wrestling was fake. Calling people by their real names isn't appreciably different from Floyd Patterson or Ernie Terrell referring to Muhammad Ali as Cassius Clay.