Pro Wrestling Only

HHH taking over from Vince on RAW

Hollinger.

I would like to point out that:

(1) Vince McMahon is an infinitely better TV personality than HHH.

(2) HHH is being put in a strong position way more than Vince ever was. Has he been involved in a single segment yet that didn't end with him getting the last word and his music playing? He has also gotten to call Punk overrated and make fun of Truth's gimmick. I wouldn't call either of those things burials. But I would point out that if HHH is assuming the Vince role, those aren't things Vince would have ever done. Vince's role was never to assert his authority as much as it was to have it challenged constantly.

The first segment last night was a lot like the last segment. Instead of the music going back and forth, it was all about who was going to get the last word. They went out of their way to give it to Punk who also had his music played. Whether or not it was effective or how it was supposed to be effective is up to you to decide.

• Replies 736
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HHH would be a much better on screen character if he just accepted his limitations. My two biggest issues with him are that he's not as funny as he thinks he is and he isn't a good talker like he thinks he is. Actually, make that three issues. He's also not as good in long matches as he likes to think he is.

(2) HHH is being put in a strong position way more than Vince ever was. Has he been involved in a single segment yet that didn't end with him getting the last word and his music playing? He has also gotten to call Punk overrated and make fun of Truth's gimmick. I wouldn't call either of those things burials. But I would point out that if HHH is assuming the Vince role, those aren't things Vince would have ever done. Vince's role was never to assert his authority as much as it was to have it challenged constantly.

Punk did get the final word in the opening segment last night along with his music playing (although HHH *almost* got that one). That said, I thought HHH's smug reaction to Punk's comments hurt Punk a lot. Punk is the guy who infuriated Vince and even got him worried. A statue could've taken HHH's place last night with the way his non-reactions were.

Punk did get the final word in the opening segment last night along with his music playing (although HHH *almost* got that one). That said, I thought HHH's smug reaction to Punk's comments hurt Punk a lot. Punk is the guy who infuriated Vince and even got him worried. A statue could've taken HHH's place last night with the way his non-reactions were.

Well see, that all goes back to Montreal...

I'm kidding.

Mostly.

I was actually pleasantly surprised at how much HHH gave Punk last night. He tip-toed the line of not burying Punk and still showing his authority pretty well. I mean, HHH has been presented as this ultra-tough "cerebral assassin" for quite a few years now. Whether you like the character or not, it's been his character. He never stooged at all when he was a heel. It wouldn't quite make sense for him to start doing it now. Do I like him in the authority role more than Vince? No. But I don't think it would make sense within their "universe" to have him suddenly act just like Vince.

This storyline has gone from "holy shit!" to "well, I'm still watching" since it started. I'm not totally ready to write it off, though. It is nice that they've made the match seem like the most important thing in the world. That, and the fact that they're treating the championship like a big deal again, are steps in a good direction.

I guess you could say I'm still cautiously optimistic for this whole thing.

I'm still trying to get under the WWE Logic why this happened:

* Vince screws up with Punk

* Vince is pissed at Punk and creates a tourney

* WWE Board is unhappy with Vince's action

* Trip in charge to set things straight

------------------------------------------

* tourny is completed

* Cena instantly wins title

* Punk allowed back in at the same time

* title vs title match

I'm trying to figure out why Trip, if Vince is fucking up and he's here to set things straight, doesn't say:

"Sorry about this tourney. Punk is the real champ. I'm working on bringing him back. In the meantime, this tourney is to set the #1 contender for when Punk comes back."

I mean... what exactly was Vince doing wrong if what Vince did (fuck with Punk, create a phony new champ) is allowed to go forward, then screwed up more by instantly having Cena beat Rey and be recognized even with Punk coming back?

And from Punk's standpoint, why wouldn't he simply say:

"I'm the champ, John. It isn't title vs title because there's only one title. You want it, you challenge for it. Throw away Vince's belt. If not, no title match and The Doofus Son In Law can strip me of this like Vince did. We all saw how well that worked."

Seriously, the whole thing has been written by people on crack. This is as bad as Russo booking.

John

It's a bit like Vince had a lot of cancer in the WWE, but they didn't deal with all the tumors.

Punk back? Trip will work on that.

Punk as champ? Well... we have a little problem.

Tourney? We'll just leave that cancer alone.

Wait, we'll make it worse by rather than letting Cena get to the Not-Punk-Champ before Punk does.

I might have joked earlier in one of these threads that it's best that we don't think to much about any of this. At best, but might be Cool~! even if not making sense. At worst, it could just be dumb. :)

John

I never understood what made Triple H the "Cerebral Assassin". The guy never hatched any intricate plots. He threw a lot of tantrums when he got outsmarted and his plans always involved waiting until someone's back was turned and then hitting them with a sledgehammer.

I never understood what made Triple H the "Cerebral Assassin". The guy never hatched any intricate plots. He threw a lot of tantrums when he got outsmarted and his plans always involved waiting until someone's back was turned and then hitting them with a sledgehammer.

It makes sense to me. I do feel a little dumber after watching his promos.

I recall one PPV, I don't recall if it was the '04 Rumble or 'Mania 20. But Ross and Lawler were going on and on about CLB nonstop and I finally had to ask WTF they were talking about.

The only time I remember being used was when Trish was on the Highlight Reel and Jericho verbally tore her apart and commented about Christian being the CLB.

I'm fairly sure that the nickname was first used when Trips, wearing the black glove, assaulted Austin following the revelation that Rikishi, doing it for "da Rock", ran Austin over at Survivor Series 99. Triple H was found to be innocent during the subsequent investigation but, when Rikishi predictably bombed in the role, was revealed to have masterminded it all along. Thus JR branded him the Cerebral Assassin, the man who fooled all of us. In that context, the "cerebral" part of the nickname doesn't strike me as odd at all.

It makes sense to me. I do feel a little dumber after watching his promos.

This post should not be slept on. Nice work. I laughed.