Pro Wrestling Only

What are you watching?

Tim Cooke

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Judy Martin & Liz Chase vs Terri Shane & Joyce Grable - WWF sometime in early 1983

Mostly a quick squash for Grable & Terri, the finish is Terri back body droping Liz into the arms of Grable who turns it into a nasty looking powerbomb. Why has no one stolen this finish????? WTF?

MLW Genesis

This really was the first step of ECW nostalgia kicking in. The ECW Arena looks empty and sad though, and the three people chanting MLW ! MLW ! MLW ! kinda sound pathetic. La Parka and Jerry Lynn have a nice little Nitro match. Tayio Kea stiffs the hell out of The Wall, who looks better than during his WCW days. But really, the interesting stuff on the card is all about Shane Douglas vs Steve Corino. They have a great promo exchange which is more compelling than anything on ECW TV since 1998 or so. Douglas is outfranchising himself, dropping f word left and right, but being good at playing the elated veteran coming back to the house he built. Corino's promo here is just awesome, wrapping up the entire history of ECW, Douglas, the NWA title and himself and makes a compelling issue that makes you want to see the match and makes it feel important. Match itself is fine, Douglas is way past his prime but can still work quite a bit. He actually throws some really good punches, which was never his strong point. Corino is just excellent. The booking of the show is just bizarre, as Douglas has to come back right away after winning to face Jerry Lynn, only because the other semi-final will get thrown under the bus later. Douglas vs Lynn is good, but not as good as Corino's match. Douglas can't exactly hang with Lynn as far as quickness goes, but they work a fine match anyway. Lynn hasn't really lost a step since the end of ECW, although he's still a bit sloppy at times especially with his kick to the gut transition into his piledriver. Austin was guilty of the same thing with the Stunner. Rest of the card was really bad as it involved Vampiro. Man this guy sucked. I remember him not being good in WCW, but I didn't realized he sucked so much. Can do a few good spot, throws a few stiff shots, looks like a zombi, can't put together a match to save his life, is really sloppy at times, gasps for air after two minutes. Chris Daniels bumps good for him, so this match was at least watchable, but the Kea match was really awful, as Kea is not a guy who will put a match together either. Then the shitty booking kicks in, the semi-final turns into a 3 man match for whatever reasons, and Douglas wins the belt quickly. Then the stupid NWA belt throwing rehashing angle. Douglas is pretty hilarious here, acting way over the top, you can feel he doesn't take it seriously at all. I think he was done with the company quickly afterward too, working mostly XPW at the time. Well, three good little matches and one great promo battle, not too bad.

Benoit did rolling Germans in WCW.

I cooled off on Benoit before he went to WWF, and stuff like this was one reason why. I cooled off even more watching very early NJ stuff in 2002/03. To be honest, and murder case apart, I would rather watch Norio Honaga vs Liger than Pegasus vs Liger in 1991.

Judy Martin & Liz Chase vs Terri Shane & Joyce Grable - WWF sometime in early 1983

Mostly a quick squash for Grable & Terri, the finish is Terri back body droping Liz into the arms of Grable who turns it into a nasty looking powerbomb. Why has no one stolen this finish????? WTF?

I'd have to see the match to confirm it but that was the Faces of Fear's finisher.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NDbAmJ0g5Q

They do it to glacier about 1:35 in.

619 criticism is something I continue to love, especially in comparison to WCW/ECW era Rey where every second offensive move was a rana variation. I mean I see how someone could hate the 619, just as I see how someone can hate a lot of things in wrestling. But complaining about "cute" spot use/overuse and citing 619 as particularly awful is something I will never understand

The main problem most critics have with that move is the contrived nature of the setup. Wrestlers rarely just happen to fall into that exact position, kneeling down with their arms draped over the middle rope... except in Mysterio matches, where it's guaranteed to happen almost every time. It's kind of a powerbombing-Kidman sort of spot, one which almost never happens except in this one wrestler's matches. Admittedly about half the time the setup involves Rey doing something to specifically plant his opponent there, but people do Just So Happen to fall into perfect 619-ing position a lot when they're facing Mysterio.

619 criticism is something I continue to love, especially in comparison to WCW/ECW era Rey where every second offensive move was a rana variation. I mean I see how someone could hate the 619, just as I see how someone can hate a lot of things in wrestling. But complaining about "cute" spot use/overuse and citing 619 as particularly awful is something I will never understand

The main problem most critics have with that move is the contrived nature of the setup. Wrestlers rarely just happen to fall into that exact position, kneeling down with their arms draped over the middle rope... except in Mysterio matches, where it's guaranteed to happen almost every time. It's kind of a powerbombing-Kidman sort of spot, one which almost never happens except in this one wrestler's matches. Admittedly about half the time the setup involves Rey doing something to specifically plant his opponent there, but people do Just So Happen to fall into perfect 619-ing position a lot when they're facing Mysterio.

This.

And if that was just one spot out of many, that wouldn't bother me that much although it is annoying (like say, the Sicilian Slice, why people always get in the position to recieve that one from Little Guido, I don't know..., or the godawful Psycosis "opponent his balancing himself on the second rope while holding the third rope waiting for Psico to drop a leg on him" spot), but the fact that it is Rey's marketed and most famous spot in WWE makes it just infuriating to me. Add to the fact it doesn't look like a great offensive move anyway. Cute, yes. Cool looking one in a while, yes. As the obligatory Rey trademarked spot, it's annoying. Well, it's not retarded like the Worm at least.

On paper, it bugs me.

Actually watching the matches, Rey really DOES center a lot of his offense around getting his opponent in that position. It's rarely haphazard and even when it is, Rey somehow makes it seem like it was all part of some master plan of his.

It's not as though it'd be difficult for him to use it - just once - on a guy as they're climbing the ropes. Climbing to your feet, your head facing the crowd, is almost babyface 101 to show the crowd your facials as part of your selling, and so its a natural movement within the scope of wrestling, even if done by a heel. The same way there's no reason for a guy to stand there bent over for Booker's axe kick waiting for the shot when he can just as easilly hit it on a guy as he's in the process of standing up (albeit with his head down). The company/Rey/Booker/similar example don't seem to think the crowd would recognise the spot in time for the pop, though, which is pretty silly. The importance of filling your time/feeding between spots effectively cannot be overstated, as its the key difference between something looking terribly forced (as the 619 setup does) and looking natural.

Rolling Germans were beaten into the ground the WWE, though I'm not certain if they are talking about rolling Germans or the three amigos here and I would have to see the match in question to throw out any real judgment on the three amigos which was a spot I thought they usually did well even when the final one was reversed.

When the final suplex is reversed it automatically becomes a horrible spot. I can't see any argument against this.

The guy got a last ounce of strength to reverse the final suplex. If both lay on the ground and sell, it is not a problem.

I watched Negro Casas vs. La Sombra after Phil pimped it in the Lucha thread. This really isn't saying much, since I've seen barely anything from this year (although AJPW seems to have quite the buzz), but this is easily my 2012 MOTY right now.

I loved the fact that the first two falls didn't just zip right by, like so many other matches I've seen. The second fall is kinda quick, but the first one looks like most third fall lucha matches I've seen. They're pulling out all the stops and fighting tooth and nail.

One thing I don't quite get. What is with Sombra wearing that shirt, and then taking it off late in the match? Is it supposed be like what the Hardys used to do, a sign of Sombra being fired up? Or does it have some other meaning?

Just watched Morton/Gibson from the Great American Bash '91 show in preparation for the '91 yearbook. It's a match that just falls short of great because Gibson doesn't really get a good comeback, but it's an excellent match that really deserves to be revisited. I think it would be far more fondly remembered on a different show.

Very solid, and Morton was excellent working heel. The finish hurts the match though, it's really lame. Week shot on the shoulder with a light laptop, after Morton spent the match pulverizing Gibson's knee ? With a good comeback and a good finish, would have been very good to excellent.

I finished watching USWA 1990 so now I'm moving onto USWA 1997. Dave Brown and Corey Maclin left the promotion in late January and were replaced by Lance Russell. Kinda sad to see Lance struggle to call the action by himself. Clearly he didn't watch the product. Can't say I blame him cause it's kinda bad. The lead heel group: Nation of Domination Memphis, that was started with a big group had been reduced to about 4 guys(PG13, Reggie B Fine, Spellbinder). Also I had no idea Brian Pillman showed up in the studio? He did commentary with Lance and totally caught Lance off guard with his bashing. He said Lance should call dr. kevorkian before the Alzheimer's ruins him and how he needs to change his depends. Lance looked like he was gonna cry.

I finished watching USWA 1990 so now I'm moving onto USWA 1997. Dave Brown and Corey Maclin left the promotion in late January and were replaced by Lance Russell. Kinda sad to see Lance struggle to call the action by himself. Clearly he didn't watch the product. Can't say I blame him cause it's kinda bad. The lead heel group: Nation of Domination Memphis, that was started with a big group had been reduced to about 4 guys(PG13, Reggie B Fine, Spellbinder). Also I had no idea Brian Pillman showed up in the studio? He did commentary with Lance and totally caught Lance off guard with his bashing. He said Lance should call dr. kevorkian before the Alzheimer's ruins him and how he needs to change his depends. Lance looked like he was gonna cry.

As you go through '97, if you could make a note of anything that's yearbook-worthy with dates, I would be extremely grateful.

Rolling Germans were beaten into the ground the WWE, though I'm not certain if they are talking about rolling Germans or the three amigos here and I would have to see the match in question to throw out any real judgment on the three amigos which was a spot I thought they usually did well even when the final one was reversed.

When the final suplex is reversed it automatically becomes a horrible spot. I can't see any argument against this.

The guy got a last ounce of strength to reverse the final suplex. If both lay on the ground and sell, it is not a problem.

Well, I've just watched a couple of Eddy/Rey matches where Mysterio reverses the final suplex by slipping out on the way up and then immediately starts running the ropes.

Watched The Hooligans vs American Bulldogs from Metro Pro:

!

One of the most fun heavyweight tags I've seen in a while. These guys are really laying in their shots, and Jon West in particular is a guy who should get attention from a bigger promotion somewhere. They probably get a little too clever at the end. Mad Dog McDowell is green, but has some fun athletic fat guy spots. Both of the Hooligans are really good.

Dean Malenko vs Norman Smiley - Worldwide Nov 97

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8yoLJhnm-N0

Holy shit this was awesome. If the WCW B-Sides comp ever happens this has to go on. Because this is Black Magic Norman Smiley and pre-Big Wiggle, they hit the mat hard for 7 minutes straight without any highspots, and both are such fluid mat wrestlers that it totally works. It has a very WoS kind of feel, and makes me want to watch every Malenko and Smiley C Show match to see if this is a style that they broke out more often.

I'm watching that from my youtube playlistof matches to watch, where I pretty much choose random matches that look interesting. Check it out at

Pretty good episode, nothing important but some decent action

PTW 02/12/90

Earthquake vs. Mark Young

WWF Update: They Announce That Hulk Hogan Will Fight The Ultimate Warrior At WrestleMania 6. Promo By Hulk Hogan Then The Ultimate Warrior

Jim Duggan vs. Carl Nelson

Bret Hart vs. Shawn Michaels

The Colossal Connection vs. Rico Fredrico/Jim Norman

WWF Event Center With Promos By: Dusty Rhodes And Sapphire Then Bad News Brown

Highlights Of Ted Dibiase vs. Jake Roberts From Last Week

Promo By Ted Dibiase And Virgil

Paul Roma vs. Al Perez (JIP)

Brother Love Show: Rick Martel Is The Guest

Demolition vs. Powers Of Pain

WWF Event Center With Promos By: The Brooklyn Brawler Then Hillbilly Jim

Rick Rude vs. Jerry Monti

Rhythm And Blues vs. Jimmy Snuka/Ronnie Garvin

Dean Malenko vs Norman Smiley - Worldwide Nov 97

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8yoLJhnm-N0

Holy shit this was awesome. If the WCW B-Sides comp ever happens this has to go on. Because this is Black Magic Norman Smiley and pre-Big Wiggle, they hit the mat hard for 7 minutes straight without any highspots, and both are such fluid mat wrestlers that it totally works. It has a very WoS kind of feel, and makes me want to watch every Malenko and Smiley C Show match to see if this is a style that they broke out more often.

Yeah that was a really fun match, about as good as you're gonna get for something that short on World Wide.