Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 3

Loss

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had some of it from Loss for the 1990 yearbook. Don't recall it being something I wanted to see more of.

All I have is a few weeks from April-May and then two weeks in October. I'm mostly just skipping to the Buddy stuff although I find myself enjoying heel Fantastics. I guess I've just hated the all Fulton version as faces so much it just feels right that I'm SUPPOSED to feel that way. Would have made interesting opponents for the RNR Express in SMW.

Buddy just made it worth my time to watch a JYD + Mike George squash tag match by saying Mike George looks like a 60 year old Buddy Landell while doing guest commentary.

Edit: Well here's something that surprised me. DDP hosts this DVD just like the first one. At one point he talks about how "Dave Meltzer's rookie of the year award for 1992" went to Rey and he came in second.

I assumed this was bullshit, and it turns out DDP was mistaken, but not by much. Mysterio did win in '92, but DDP finished third behind Rey and Psicosis. Must have been a weak year, as Erik Watts finished fifth, and he was far from an Observer darling at this point.

Guest Andrews

I was more surprised that they mentioned Dave on a WWE DVD.

He has actually BEEN on DVD's in the past though. Specifically, interviewed for one of Mick Foley's releases in the late 90's.

Seems like the Bully Ray's vile homophobic comments to a fan story is turning into the Mass Transit situation among the Wrestling media.

Dave Scherer:

The reason that Bully Ray put out a second apology yesterday via Twitter for calling a fan a "faggot" last week at the Chicago Impact taping is that someone in the wrestling media has repeatedly contacted Viacom asking them if they tolerate people on their network using that kind of language. You would think after Bully apologized the first time and Dixie Carter said that language won't be tolerated in TNA that would be enough for that person, but apparently it wasn't.

Wade Keller via Twitter:

Dixie Carter on record to me right now: "I know nothing and have heard nothing about Viacom execs getting calls or getting involved. I know that had nothing to do with Bully's second apology. That's just not true at all."

Mr. Schemer, still an asshole after all these years.

John

Seems like the Bully Ray's vile homophobic comments to a fan story is turning into the Mass Transit situation among the Wrestling media.

Dave Scherer:

The reason that Bully Ray put out a second apology yesterday via Twitter for calling a fan a "faggot" last week at the Chicago Impact taping is that someone in the wrestling media has repeatedly contacted Viacom asking them if they tolerate people on their network using that kind of language. You would think after Bully apologized the first time and Dixie Carter said that language won't be tolerated in TNA that would be enough for that person, but apparently it wasn't.

Wade Keller via Twitter:

Dixie Carter on record to me right now: "I know nothing and have heard nothing about Viacom execs getting calls or getting involved. I know that had nothing to do with Bully's second apology. That's just not true at all."

Mr. Schemer, still an asshole after all these years.

John

The first apology was lousy. As I said at Cageside Seats:

With all that being said, personally I found the vague cryptic apologies that were tweeted by both Dixie Carter and Bully Ray yesterday more offensive than the actual profanity laced tirade done in character.

As the owner of a company that launched an anti-bullying campaign called "Eliminate The Hate" in November 2010 after a series of high profile suicides amongst gay teenagers, Carter should be ashamed of hiding behind the meaningless jargon of "inappropriate comments", perhaps in the vain hope that what Ray actually said would never make the light of day. She should have made clear that the remarks were homophobic in nature and that she would take action to ensure that such discrimination based on (perceived) sexuality would never happen again.

Instead of following his boss's cowardly lead, Bully Ray should have had the balls to man up like CM Punk did, being completely transparent and open about his "bullshit", how he was willing to be held accountable for it and stressing that it didn't reflect his true feelings about the LGBT community.

Bruno is being inducted by Arnold Schwarzenegger. Would have preferred Larry but Arnold makes sense especially after seeing the video of the both of them at both their inductions to the International Sport Hall of Fame.

I think Arnold was the best possible choice. It adds real prestige to Bruno's induction and makes it the big deal it should be.

The first apology was lousy. As I said at Cageside Seats:

The non-apology results from eliding the absurdity of having to kiss some non-profit ring because a wrestler named Bully Ray behaved in a way that could be interpreted as bullying by TNA's booming "gay suicidal teen" live attendance demographic. There is nonsense on every level of this.

Bruno is being inducted by Arnold Schwarzenegger. Would have preferred Larry but Arnold makes sense especially after seeing the video of the both of them at both their inductions to the International Sport Hall of Fame.

I think Arnold was the best possible choice. It adds real prestige to Bruno's induction and makes it the big deal it should be.

Plus I think it leaves little doubt now that Bruno's induction will close the night.

Guest Nell Santucci

I think it's the greatest irony of all for Bruno Sammartino to be inducted by a guy whose successful career in part depended on heavy steroid use.

Anyone familiar with Five Star Wrestling from Louisiana from 1990? I think Buck Robley was booking and they must have had TV at some point because I've been watching some. Pretty thin roster with JYD as the lead babyface, someone in a mask as Black Olympia and a very old looking bleached blonde Mike George as his buddies. On the heel side it's Buddy Landell, Akbar and some guy who seems pretty terrible named The Beast. The most notable thing so far is the Fantastics working as heels which I actually think works really well for the all Fulton version.

Was this the Beast in question?

Anyone familiar with Five Star Wrestling from Louisiana from 1990? I think Buck Robley was booking and they must have had TV at some point because I've been watching some. Pretty thin roster with JYD as the lead babyface, someone in a mask as Black Olympia and a very old looking bleached blonde Mike George as his buddies. On the heel side it's Buddy Landell, Akbar and some guy who seems pretty terrible named The Beast. The most notable thing so far is the Fantastics working as heels which I actually think works really well for the all Fulton version.

Was this the Beast in question?

No I'm pretty sure that's not him. The guy from 5 Star might be a little shorter, definitely fatter and had dark hair.

Guest Nell Santucci

Kind of hard to get inducted at a Wrestling Hall of Fame by someone who didn't take steroids, unfortunately.

That's clear, but Arnold is practically the posterchild of steroid use. There's a difference between Bret Hart being on the juice and Hulk Hogan, maybe not qualitatively but certainly symbolically. I just think it's ironic. It's not something I'm "outraged by" or something similarly asinine; it's pro-wrestling - not that that makes it a trivial issue as much as such matters are to be expected.

Extreme Rising cancelled their Wrestlemania weekend shows last night. Shocking that a group that was trying to charge $50 for all GA seating in Staten Island (30+ miles away from where all the local Mania stuff is taking place, which means basically at least an hour and a half away in rush hour traffic on a Friday) had a poor advance.

Kind of hard to get inducted at a Wrestling Hall of Fame by someone who didn't take steroids, unfortunately.

That's clear, but Arnold is practically the posterchild of steroid use. There's a difference between Bret Hart being on the juice and Hulk Hogan, maybe not qualitatively but certainly symbolically. I just think it's ironic. It's not something I'm "outraged by" or something similarly asinine; it's pro-wrestling - not that that makes it a trivial issue as much as such matters are to be expected.

Arnold doesn't fall under the Wellness Policy that Bruno speaks highly of (unless the rules have changed for one-time HOF inductors), so it's okay. :)

Not really sure if this deserves a thread of its own or not so I thought I would just ask here.

Does anyone here know the history or any information about apartment wrestling? Who produced the films, who were the ladies, and where they were made?

I have always assumed the ladies were strippers and/or hookers but I have read that Woman appeared in some films under the name Para.

The handful I've seen were from from the 70s and shot on 8mm film but I know they were still being made in the 80s and am curious if they makers made the switch to video tape.

Apartment wrestling has always been a topic I've been fascinated by and feel it is one of the more unusual aspect of wrestling fandom.