Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 3

Loss

I don't have much a problem with different opinion, hell, I disagree with pretty much every single one of the people I talk to online frequently to the point where we call each other shitheads for the hell of it ("I thought you'd like it more than that. Cunt."). But it's the ones that can't see MY ('OUR' 'THE OTHER' etc) point of view that are annoying. If I say John Cena's a better wrestler than Chris Jericho and the replies I get are "this is sad" "hope you are trolling" "facepalm" and some falling-out-of-your-chair-.GIF, then why on EARTH would I want to talk to those people? I actually TRIED. I legitimately asked if anyone wanted to have an actual talk and I still got the same bullshit. I later said the Michaels/Angle match at WrestleMania 21 was my least favourite Shawn Michaels WrestleMania match and was met with the same shit. I tried to talk to those people, I really did, but they have to post that dumbass BS just for the simple fact they had no idea how to argue their point when I asked to talk more than "hurr u iz delusional". It's like the people that get seriously mad and/or laugh at the WrestlingKO results when they're posted on other boards, it's like, why even bother communicating with these people?

Also, there is a thing where posters just don't want wrestlers to go unrecognised. If there's a poll that's Lance Storm v Jerry Lawler and Storm is winning, the only possible conclusion is that the voters really haven't THE Jerry Lawler (right........?), which is a shame since Jerry in his peak should be as well known as any wrestler there is. People like having their favourites appreciated.

I agree with just about everything you said. It's just the people that act like what they think is the gospel is what bothers me. I get what message boards are for and I'm all for arguing your points of view but when some people act like they are of higher intelligence or something because of what they like it wrestling it really looks pathetic. I'm not saying everyone does that and its really not a huge complaint because I guess you'll always have those people that use the internet to look tough or smart or whatever but I just think a give and take argument is a much better way to look at things. I mean if someone like lance storm better than Lawler and refuses to explain why then yes no point in arguing, case closed with that person. They shouldn't be chastised on their opinion it should just be a dead argument. Now if that person were to say I've never seen prime Lawler and I don't like the goofy wwf stuff it would spark a chance for a Lawler supporter to tell said person why he should search certain matches angles etc. My whole thing is some people are not as serious as others are and just want to have opinions without going into a whole diatribe about it. I for one don't mind arguing a point I guess I was just sticking up for people that don't. It really isnt all that serious and I didn't mean for it to come off like this but oh well.

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to think there's a 4th reason, which is to broaden one's horizons, to have your own views challenged and maybe -- through argument and exposure to other people's views -- develop and change your perspective on things. It is a meeting of minds, as much as it is a place to "to argue opinions".

I realize that this is a relatively high ideal, a lofty ambition for a message board, but I do think it's there. The remote possibility of people going into an argument with one view and coming out with a slightly altered view has to be there for the arguments to mean anything. If all anyone did was to come in with their mind already made up and leave with it still made up, there'd be no need for discussion.

I'd like to think there's a 4th reason, which is to broaden one's horizons, to have your own views challenged and maybe -- through argument and exposure to other people's views -- develop and change your perspective on things. It is a meeting of minds, as much as it is a place to "to argue opinions".

I realize that this is a relatively high ideal, a lofty ambition for a message board, but I do think it's there. The remote possibility of people going into an argument with one view and coming out with a slightly altered view has to be there for the arguments to mean anything. If all anyone did was to come in with their mind already made up and leave with it still made up, there'd be no need for discussion.

If more people took this approach I think a lot more great wrestling would be discovered. Instead of challenging someone just have an open mind and see their point. Easier said than done though unfortunately

Totally agreed, and this happens regularly.

Confidence in one's opinion shouldn't be mistaken for said opinion being immutable. It's happened to me plenty of times. People who can present new ways of looking at things we've all seen a million times are great.

Why did Vince McMahon buy Stampeded Wrestling in 1984, only to sell it back to Bruce (?), the following year?

Vince wanted Stu's Western Canada TV slots and the ability to run shows in the area, basically part of his plan to corner the Canadian market. Problems arose when Bruce began promoting an opposition group and Vince's early WWF shows in the area didn't exactly set the world on fire. Vince was supposed to pay Stu $1M (I think) for everything over a certain amount of time, but I'm not sure Stu received one penny before Vince backed out of the deal and told Stu he could run Stampede again in late-1985. Vince was able to keep the TV slots anyway and now had a foothold in the market, so no big deal for him. Bruce booked and wrestled for post-85 Stampede, but Vince never sold him anything.

The advertisement on last night’s RAW for the Bret Hart Dungeon Collection was odd.

Compare it with the previous two releases:

Best Of RAW And Smackdown 2012: “Rock Concert. Brock’s return. And many more. Experience the best in this collection.”

Best Of Nitro Vol. 2: “Hogan. Flair. Sting. Goldberg. DDP. Savage. Nash. And many more. Relive more of the best of Nitro in this collection!”

Bret Hart Dungeon Collection: “Watch this set because Sheamus watches it in his spare time.”

I'm currently in Nagasaki. I came to Japan for the first time in 2007 and I've been coming every year since 2009, mostly as 2 or 3 days stopovers on my way from/to somewhere else to say hi and hang out with friends. One of my must do stops on my first or second day is to stop by a Kinokuniya bookstore, some of them are giant and you can find books or magazines on anything. I usually spend a decent amount buying photography books and magazines.

I always stop by the sports section and except for 2007, where you could still find 4-5 pro wrestling magazines, on every trip I have seen only one single magazine (Gong I believe, the only one that is still alive), Kakutogi Gong for MMA and sometimes some of those book-DVD combinations with matches of mostly Inoki and Tiger Mask. I've never found anything worth buying.

Well this time I was surprised as there are tons of different books and magazines. There are two super cool AJPW and NJPW books with profiles of every single foreign wrestler to ever work for them, and cool colour pictures of the most important 300 or 400 ones. For those in large american cities with Kinokuniya stores, If you can get your hands on those two do so. They are a great nostalgia trip.

Also: A few NJPW picture books, including one of Tanahashi showing his pretty body, I think we could send a copy of that one to Dave Meltzer. There seems to be another mag that has been going on for a while but I never saw before called G Spirit or something like that, it seems to be focused on old stuff and it had histories of SWS/WAR/Universal/FMW/BJPW and other 90s indies including interviews with main players. It also had a section on the NWA Middleweight title by Dr. Lucha (the original one, not Steve Sims) with tons of cool old Mexican photos. And there's a magazine (that is very thin and there are about 30 volumes of it) called Data Bank showing pictures of old matches and events and profiles of wrestlers (you can find similar magazines for baseball or sumo). And a few others that I don't remember now.

I wonder if it's just a nostalgia fad, a happening on this store/city only, or as the Observer reports there's really been a surge in popularity in Japan again.

Those NJ/AJ mags would be the 40th anniversary specials, right? I didn't see many wrestling magazines in shops, but they had a lot of I guess combo-mag/DVD sets (yellow) for Baba, Inoki, and other 60s/70s names... I have the AJ 40th anniversary mag with, obviously, Baba front and centre. (I think it was Y1500, but that was at a show rather than general retail). My guess is it's more a case of the older guys still have enough notoriety from the past to sell, whereas more recent stars don't. Wasn't the most frequent highlight in Misawa's obituaries his beating Jumbo?