Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 3

Loss

Those NJ/AJ mags would be the 40th anniversary specials, right? I didn't see many wrestling magazines in shops, but they had a lot of I guess combo-mag/DVD sets (yellow) for Baba, Inoki, and other 60s/70s names... I have the AJ 40th anniversary mag with, obviously, Baba front and centre. (I think it was Y1500, but that was at a show rather than general retail). My guess is it's more a case of the older guys still have enough notoriety from the past to sell, whereas more recent stars don't. Wasn't the most frequent highlight in Misawa's obituaries his beating Jumbo?

These are different. They also seem to be 40 anniversary specials but there's no Baba in the cover, only foreigners. Cover price is 1200 JPY.

They released something similar 30 years ago, both are hardcover books. I have both but don't remember what I paid from them (pretty sure that I bought them at yahoo auctions). I didn't let that stop me from buying the 40 anniversary editions...

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone know the validity on the individual mania dvd releases due to drop next week? It look like they have 1 through 15 maybe but no cover art. Wondering if anyone heard about it I saw them on Amazon

Seems legit. It looks like cover art is shown from Wal-Mart's website and they have been collected here. http://www.wwedvdnews.com/cover-art-wrestl...releases/36422/

The newest issue of Filter magazine (Thom Yorke on the cover) has a little blurb from CM Punk on Rocket From The Crypt. He talks about the rumor that you could get into their shows free if you had a band-related tattoo.

Those NJ/AJ mags would be the 40th anniversary specials, right? I didn't see many wrestling magazines in shops, but they had a lot of I guess combo-mag/DVD sets (yellow) for Baba, Inoki, and other 60s/70s names... I have the AJ 40th anniversary mag with, obviously, Baba front and centre. (I think it was Y1500, but that was at a show rather than general retail). My guess is it's more a case of the older guys still have enough notoriety from the past to sell, whereas more recent stars don't. Wasn't the most frequent highlight in Misawa's obituaries his beating Jumbo?

I have seen the magazine that you own at a different book shop. If you open your magazine you will see the one that I bought on the back side of the front cover.

I wonder what will be different about these releases compared to the previous set of DVD's. I was really hoping they'd do a Blu-ray box set.

Perhaps they remove all censoring of the term "WWF"?

I'm hoping that they remove the blurring of the scratch logo for 14 and 15.

What a shock when watching Spring Breakers, from Harmony Korine. 2 minutes into the movie, after the opening credits, who shows up but Jeff Jarrett playing some sort of college preacher ! I got a big kick out of it. (The movie itself isn't very interesting though, full of meaningless depth)

I wonder what will be different about these releases compared to the previous set of DVD's. I was really hoping they'd do a Blu-ray box set.

Perhaps they remove all censoring of the term "WWF"?

I'm hoping that they remove the blurring of the scratch logo for 14 and 15.

http://www.wwedvdnews.com/major-update-wwe...1-15-dvd/36742/

Seems like 11-14 are the same versions as the Anthology ones.

As for 15, "WWF" is back and all that, but it sounds like they really George Lucas'd it otherwise. I think I'd rather have the Anthology version if given the choice.

As for 15, "WWF" is back and all that, but it sounds like they really George Lucas'd it otherwise.

They're post-editing their PPVs now? What are they taking out, just botches or also stuff they consider to be offensive to viewers of the modern product (e.g. putting women through tables)?

Good for Daffney.

As for 15, "WWF" is back and all that, but it sounds like they really George Lucas'd it otherwise.

They're post-editing their PPVs now? What are they taking out, just botches or also stuff they consider to be offensive to viewers of the modern product (e.g. putting women through tables)?

Click the link I have in the previous post, as it showcases it better than I could. So far, WMXV is the only one noted, so we don't know about any others, but they basically PG'ed it down (have a different angle of the Sable Bomb, took out a lot of the Undertaker stuff, including the pre-match video and the hanging of Boss Man, took out Rock choking Austin, etc.).

Jesus, talk about rewriting history. The problem they have is that most of the people buying these DVDs (I assume) are either old fans nostalgic about the Attitude Era or new fans who pine for the glorious age of wrestling where you got tits, violence and copious amounts of anything distasteful. They're going to be pissed off if all that stuff is taken out.

Some of the things they changed such as crowd shots and entrance angles seem really strange.

Lots of risk on her side. It's just a Workers Comp case. If it's damaging enough to a company, they'll appeal it into the courts. How hard TNA would want to fight it (quite hard) and hard how Daffney would want to fight it (not cheap), how long it would drag out, and the risk of getting $0.00...

If the settlement covers a chunk of what you're looking for (along with what you owe the attorneys), you settle even when you're "winning".

We settled a case last week. We were "winning". But we took less that what we were fully owed because:

* we still didn't have a final ruling

* to get there would cost considerably more in atty fees

* there was a risk of any number of thinks breaking up the winning streak

* even that would be appealed

* even if you run the tables, atty fees added on top of that are always a tough win

We didn't take what we were fully owed, but to get from what we took to what we were owed would have cost a big chunk of the difference because of that second item with the fifth item meaning we were unlikely to get that cost in an award.

My guess is that Daffney and here atty ran the numbers, saw that they had a moment of leverage with which to get paid Now rather than possibly down the road, and took it.

In the end, good for her.

John