Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 3

Loss

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When IRS debuted, I always assumed he'd eventually feud with Dibiase, and that would be the way WWF turned Dibiase face.

IRS starts looking into Dibiase's finances, finds that Ted owes millions in taxes, loses everything and ends up on the streets. They could run vignettes of IRS hanging out in all of Dibiase's former seasonal residences, and so on. When they formed a team I thought "Alright, it's only a matter of time now!". Still bummed a little bit that it never happened.

Wow, that's the first time I've ever seen that suggested by anyone and it never occurred to me then or since. Could have been a pretty great angle.

I think DiBiase was always used as a benchmark heel, by which I mean he was so evil that he could be used to turn established heels. Even a guy like Jimmy Hart. Heenan was also at that level of evil.

Wondering if DiBiase and Rotunda ever had a match now.

I watched IRS's "Top 10 Tax Tips" earlier. Quite literally incredible.

"Having your daughter's bucked teeth fixed doesn't constitute a proper medical claim"

I maintain IRS is one of the most entertaining, amazing gimmicks ever to hit wrestling. PAY YOUR GIFT TAXES TATANKA. Ha ha ha ha ha.

I just happened to hit that Raw naturally today in my 1994 WWF watching. Tatanka is the worst promo. I'm not sure there's anyone in WWF in 1989-1994 that was worse than him. Warrior might be incomprehensible but he made it work for the most part. Tatanka just doesn't know what words mean. Like "bestow."

I realize that talking about racism in wrestling is a complete lost cause, wresting is what it is. But I always wondered how Tatanka was perceived within the native American community. Hell I'm not even talking about the thing where he turns heel by selling out to a rich white man, or the half assed tribal dance he did all the time. But there was that constant "he represents the blood of all native American peoples" thing they kept bringing up as a talking point about his character, and since when do all the native tribes think of themselves as one group? I always thought that alone must have rubbed some people the wrong way in a "they all look the same to me" kind of way.

I mean there's got to be a few good rants on the internet somewhere. In hindsight it seems like a gimmick that borders on just trolling people for the sake of seeing what the reaction is.

But they did push the guy, he had that long undefeated run, so you do get the feeling they must have actually thought he was something. Then they just fed him to Ludwig Borga of all people.

Isn't it funny that it's just accepted that there are kendo sticks, tables and ladders underneath the ring?

The tables and ladders are there in case something a few feet off the ground breaks or they need to replace an announce table quickly. End kayfabe.

The kendo sticks? No idea.

I was watching the Kayfabe Commentaries 1994 Timeline with Waltman, and they bring up the headdress angle actually. All that comes out of it is Sean and Sean chuckling about the 'Lumbee' Indian tribe and then moving on.

The Knuckeball Schwartz talk is a riot though.

Vince: I think he's a backstop.

Lawler: Is he a pitcher or catcher?

Then they just fed him to Ludwig Borga of all people.

Well, Borga was supposed to be a main-event player. I thought this made a big deal out of Tatanka finally getting beat. A proof that the streak gimmick always works well done right. Plus I thought Borga's hollier than thou almost neo-nazi gimmick worked well. Probably because that's what Tony Halme was in real life...

Tatanka's shoot is worth a watch. He's an interesting guy with kind of a fascinating story, and he seems really smart about what the business is and what it's all about. It was done right before he had that out of nowhere 2nd WWE run on SD.

One interesting note was the question of why he never went to WCW during the Monday Night Wars era when they were signing everyone and certainly would have signed him, and he was basically like, "They called, but I'm smart with my money, I didn't need the job" and it actually doesn't sound like carny bullshit, when he starts explaining how he managed his money and what he was doing on his own to make money off of his wrestling fame.

He also gives the impression that he used his notoriety to become well connected in the Native community and their governing bodies, which is definitely some carny shit that is practically a front for organized crime, but I actually believe it.

Former WCW wrestler Mark Starr, real name Mark Ashford-Smith has passed away, PWInsider.com has confirmed. Starr was 50 years old. We have not yet confirmed a cause of death.

Starr broke into the business in the mid-1980s with his brother, who wrestled as Chris Champion (and later Yoshi Kwan) working in Florida, the Continental scene and Memphis. In Memphis, the brothers teamed as Wildside and worked the 1988 Jim Crockett Sr. Memorial Cup. The pair held different versions of the Memphis Tag belts.

When Mike Graham, Dusty Rhodes and Steve Keirn launched the PWF in Florida in the late 1980s, Starr worked there and held the promotion's Tag Team belts several times.

Starr toured Japan for FMW, where he held a version of the AWA Light Heavyweight championship, the version that FMW recognized after the promotion closed. Starr also made some appearances for WWF in a preliminary capacity.

Starr signed with WCW in the mid 1990s, where he was used as an undercard competitor putting over bigger stars during the Monday Night Wars era. He was one half of the Men at Work tag team with the late Chris Kanyon and worked the remainder of his career for WCW, retiring in 1998 after injuring his back.

Our deepest condolences to Starr's friends, family and fans during this sad time.

From PWInsider.com.

Watching the Rock vs Mankind I quit match from 99 Royal Rumble and man maybe this is because I am older but damn the ending of this match is really hard to watch. Don't remember how I felt back then but ten brutal unprotected chair shots to the head is just nuts. Of course maybe it is uneasy to watch after watching Beyond the Mat and knowing how much his brain was scrambled in that phone call and that his family was in the crowd.

So, I am going to throw this out there. The online TNA Gutcheck Challenge has reached it's final round.

TNA Gutcheck

I know some people think this whole thing is stupid, but Chance Prophet is a good friend of mine. He has worked his ass off, he loves the business, he is a hell of a good guy and a great father.

I don't know how much of a chance he'll actually get from winning this thing, but I am going to do what I can to try and help him.

So if you guys have a minute, sign up and toss a vote his way.

Thanks.

Watching the Rock vs Mankind I quit match from 99 Royal Rumble and man maybe this is because I am older but damn the ending of this match is really hard to watch. Don't remember how I felt back then but ten brutal unprotected chair shots to the head is just nuts. Of course maybe it is uneasy to watch after watching Beyond the Mat and knowing how much his brain was scrambled in that phone call and that his family was in the crowd.

I seem to remember Wade Keller saying that Foley's original ending for this match was to have his family in the front row and after taking a beating (still with the chairs) and seeing his kids cry he'd say "I quit" and take some time off.

I also remember Keller saying that sometime before the show Foley decided to make the finish even more brutal and Rock was to keep hitting him with the chair until he rolled outside. Since Foley took forever to roll outside Rock just kept whacking him. Foley did this knowing his kids were in the front row.

Are those stories correct?

I'm a bit foggy on how it went as I haven't read about this in years, but if I remember right, Mick was supposed to go down at some point but was so dazed and out of it he literally didn't realize he was supposed to just fall over so the match would stop, so Rock just kept hitting him waiting for him to go down because that's what was agreed on. I seem to remember something in one of Foley's books about him not realizing how being handcuffed would totally alter his ability to absorb a chairshot, I guess because of how it forces you to alter your posture, and he was in serious trouble pretty much from the first shot. Lord knows after that there were many many more.

The whole thing got completely out of hand. I haven't watched it in years but it's terribly uncomfortable viewing, at best. It's one of those things on my list of "never revisit".