Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 3

Loss

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The comment about promo notes on the wrist seemed kind of unscripted, both from a "why would you script him to say that" standpoint and Rock kind of reacted like he wasn't expecting it.

I mean, we all know Rock's not *that* good of an actor. /rimshot

Folks also might want to look at last year's promos with / about Cena to see if there was evidence of crib notes on Rock's wrist. Anyone think he would suddenly start doing it tonight? Guy's been doing long promos since before Cena was even in the business.

John

I was just taking a shot at Rock's not so illustrious movie legacy, I think it's pretty clear they booked that segment to finally show Cena getting one up in a promo battle after every other encounter led to him getting completely owned. Consider last week they finally got the men to cheer him with the Eve stuff, and that the plan is to do their damnedest to have a 50/50 split crowd at Mania (or failing that at least try to not have Cena get completely booed out of the building). Showing him being able to go toe to toe on the mic without being made to look like a complete goober was a good thing.

The other noticable thing about the segment is the Rock got in 15+ minutes of material ripping Cena (going 10 minutes past the 11:05 time slot) before Cena showed up. I tend to agree with Sek: the segment was designed for Rock to show Cena ass after ripping Cena a new one for 15 minutes.

I suspect the Rock and others in the WWE will be working their favorite reporters and fanboys to get across that it's a Shoot to try to amp up more interest in the PPV... and given how the WWE books to TV as well, to the next time either is on TV to rip the other.

John

The other noticable thing about the segment is the Rock got in 15+ minutes of material ripping Cena (going 10 minutes past the 11:05 time slot) before Cena showed up. I tend to agree with Sek: the segment was designed for Rock to show Cena ass after ripping Cena a new one for 15 minutes.

I suspect the Rock and others in the WWE will be working their favorite reporters and fanboys to get across that it's a Shoot to try to amp up more interest in the PPV... and given how the WWE books to TV as well, to the next time either is on TV to rip the other.

John

JR's already implying there's legit heat between Cena and Rock, someone asked on Twitter and he replied "if there wasn't before there is now" or something to that effect.

It's actually not a bad work. Start by openly admitting that you're a worker, that you've been working people forever, and then mention "...except for this one part here, that's a shoot, pally!". Somehow, if you tell people you're a liar but then tell them that you'd never lie about one thing, they tend to believe you. It's sort of like a much more logical version of Russo's old "everything in wrestling is fake, except for what you're watching right now" booking on Nitro.

Cheap plug time as I was a guest on my long time wrestling geek comrade Thomas Holzerman's podcast today http://wallsofjerichoholic.blogspot.com/20...e-43-dylan.html . We talked about all kinds of shit including modern indies, the pitfalls of Mark Henry and The Miz in current WWE, the Mania build, some MOTYC follow up from 2011, et. He's doing a show with Dave and I this weekend that I will post in the appropriate thread when it is finished.

On another note after I'm done with this Tajiri project (which still has a lot of legs) who should I move on to?

So the WWE released its 10-K for 2011, which includes their booking agreement with Paul Levesque. While looking it over, I found the following tidbit:

WRESTLER HEREBY RELEASES, WAIVES AND DISCHARGES PROMOTER FROM ALL LIABILITY TO WRESTLER AND COVENANTS NOT TO SUE PROMOTER FOR ANY AND ALL LOSS OR DAMAGE ON ACCOUNT OF INJURY TO THEIR PERSON OR PROPERTY OR RESULTING IN SERIOUS OR PERMANENT INJURY TO WRESTLER OR IN WRESTLER’S DEATH, WHETHER CAUSED BY NEGLIGENCE OF PROMOTER OR OTHER WRESTLERS UNDER CONTRACT TO PROMOTER.

Even the son-in-law's contract has the death clause. That's pretty cold.

So the WWE released its 10-K for 2011, which includes their booking agreement with Paul Levesque. While looking it over, I found the following tidbit:

WRESTLER HEREBY RELEASES, WAIVES AND DISCHARGES PROMOTER FROM ALL LIABILITY TO WRESTLER AND COVENANTS NOT TO SUE PROMOTER FOR ANY AND ALL LOSS OR DAMAGE ON ACCOUNT OF INJURY TO THEIR PERSON OR PROPERTY OR RESULTING IN SERIOUS OR PERMANENT INJURY TO WRESTLER OR IN WRESTLER’S DEATH, WHETHER CAUSED BY NEGLIGENCE OF PROMOTER OR OTHER WRESTLERS UNDER CONTRACT TO PROMOTER.

Which reminds me, what ever came of Sid Vicious' wanting to sue WCW/Time Warner for the top rope kick spot?

Which reminds me, what ever came of Sid Vicious' wanting to sue WCW/Time Warner for the top rope kick spot?

Dismissed: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/883214-...case-law/page/2

Watching some 1987 Prime Time. There's a fun fast-paced Bret vs Bulldog match.

Clarify for me, please? The 1980's PTW was a clip show, with full matches and clipped matches. Where are the matches coming from? Primarily house shows? PPVs? Other TV, like Superstars or All American?

Watching some 1987 Prime Time. There's a fun fast-paced Bret vs Bulldog match.

Clarify for me, please? The 1980's PTW was a clip show, with full matches and clipped matches. Where are the matches coming from? Primarily house shows? PPVs? Other TV, like Superstars or All American?

The matches came from all over, Arena matches from MSG, Philly, Toronto, and Boston (most frequent), to some other odd arena matches here and there, to some matches that were clearly filmed during a tv taping but not broadcast on regular WWF TV. You got some bouts of PPVs after the fact sometimes, and lots of PPV promo "update" segments in and around those events. With there only being 4 PPVs back then, there were stretches without PPV promotion interwoven into the show...pretty weird to think about compared to how things progressed with PPV later on.

How many arena bouts vs. Squash matches changed over the years.

The last few years of the show in the early 90's are almost unwatchable, imo. The 80's shows are the way to go.