Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 3

Loss

* Joey Styles' announcing is too witty and heavy-handed

It was enjoyable at first, but by 1998 he was getting way too obnoxious, especially since by 1999 ECW were not trend setters at all, and the garbage acts were dull and formulaic as hell then.

* The crowds are annoying

Same thing here. To me the ECW crowd could be annoying, but could be cute too, especially the first few years, because it was fresh. However, lot of house show crowds really fucking sucked, trying to by "smart-ass" for the sake of it and playing "ECW Arena". Things got worst from 1997 and on, because it wasn't fresh and spontaneous anymore, it was an obligatory pose. It sure developped into the horrible Roh crowds, the "This is awesome" and dueling chants nonsense. Give me a 80's Memphis studio crowd instead, please. Or a early 90's Korakuen Hall crowd.

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm expecting to like 1999+ stuff when it becomes more of a workhorse promotion with guys like Crazy, Taijiri, Kash, etc., but it's really hard to get through the other stuff.

I really wouldn't call post 98 ECW a workhorse promotion. Yeah, you had Tajiri, Crazy and Lynn delivering the good stuff, but you also had tons of horrible Balls, Baldies, New Jack stuff. The idea that ECW became a workrate promotion in 1999 is way overstated. You get a bazillion Tajiri vs Crazy matches, but at some points it gets kinda old actually. I do enjoy lots of stuff from this era though, Doring & Roadkill, C.W. Anderson, the threesome stuff with Elektra (yeah, I said just that, I don't remember the name of the stable), Simon Diamond. And Corino was really fun to watch.

If I ever watch anything from recent history, that would be WWECW, at least to see how it went at first.

From the bits and pieces I watched of WWECW's first couple years, you would probably be best advised to skip ahead to 08. Unless of course you have a burning desire to see week after week of Big Daddy V vs Kane matches.

If I ever watch anything from recent history, that would be WWECW, at least to see how it went at first.

From the bits and pieces I watched of WWECW's first couple years, you would probably be best advised to skip ahead to 08. Unless of course you have a burning desire to see week after week of Big Daddy V vs Kane matches.

Yes. Do not create a self-fulfilling prophecy and watch the early stuff. :)

I've always wondered how WWE decides who gets to be the character they want to be and who has to change. I mean, what is the possible reason to turn Byran Danielson into Daniel Bryan, yet CM Punk is still CM Punk? There doesn't seem to be a ton of logic to it.

You are talking like a 5 year gap, Heyman departure and a move from OVW to FCW on those two names.

If you think Styles was annoying in ECW, you should listen to his MLW work. He was dressing like Mark Madden.

Actually, I will. Finishing up to fill the voids of ECW 2000 (which reminds me how bad the Impact Players promos were, and how annoying Lou E. Dangerously's routine is) and then jumping into MLW, which I've never seen before apart from a few matches.

If you think Styles was annoying in ECW, you should listen to his MLW work. He was dressing like Mark Madden.

Actually, I will. Finishing up to fill the voids of ECW 2000 (which reminds me how bad the Impact Players promos were, and how annoying Lou E. Dangerously's routine is) and then jumping into MLW, which I've never seen before apart from a few matches.

To save you some time, watch the September 2002 MLW show and then skip the entire rest of the the promotion. MLW were the kings of disapointing "looked good on paper" matches.

I think my main problems are:

* Joey Styles' announcing is too witty and heavy-handed

* Most promos go too long

* Most matches go too long, considering the limitations of the wrestlers

* The crowds are annoying

I'm expecting to like 1999+ stuff when it becomes more of a workhorse promotion with guys like Crazy, Taijiri, Kash, etc., but it's really hard to get through the other stuff.

There are things I like, like the concept of the Pulp Fiction segments and the Sandman/Mikey feud, but a lot of ECW feels like high school stoners goofing off in front of a camcorder.

What's funny about this line is that one of the stock criticisms Kris, Will and I all had watching the ECW footage for the set was that good matches never got to the point of being great because they were too SHORT.

I don't know how legit this is (considering it's Hogan, probably not very), but:

http://www.nme.com/news/metallica/61668

If nothing else, he would've Hulked up after the bus landed on him.

Lars moved to the US in 1980. He and Hetfield hooked up in 1981 in Cali for form the band. Hulk was long past his fake "session bassist" days by that point.

John

You can say it, but would you actually troll yourself into doing it? :)

I'm twisted, but not *that* twisted.;)

What's funny about this line is that one of the stock criticisms Kris, Will and I all had watching the ECW footage for the set was that good matches never got to the point of being great because they were too SHORT.

It depends of the workers involved really, but yeah, overall I agree, there has been tons of good matches that could have been better if given a little bit more time. If anything, sometimes the wrong matches got the time.

I don't know how legit this is (considering it's Hogan, probably not very), but:

http://www.nme.com/news/metallica/61668

If nothing else, he would've Hulked up after the bus landed on him.

The most amazing thing to me is Hulk working out to the Stones Roses ! It blows my mind. First time Hogan and good artistic taste are in the same sentence. But really, can you picture the Hulkster working out listening to this :

?