Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 3

Loss

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Nell Santucci

--Adam "Edge" Copeland turned 40 today.  Happy Birthday to him, a superior performer and one of the real professional success stories of the industry.

Dave is really infatuated here. That, or he really thinks his snowflake system is Platonic in objectivity.

Well, outside of the PWO/DVDVR circle, most people do consider Edge a superior performer and compared to even some of his contemporaries (hello Hardy's!), he's also had a successful professional life by all accounts as well. So, I don't see the issue here.

Perhaps I'm wrong but it's not a plug I think he'd do except his guy isn't in the hall of fame.

It wasn't presented as a hardline, he just seems to believe that period is pretty complete.

I'm racking my brain on guys he could be referring to. Maybe Benjamin Roller, Paul Pons or the Yohe favorite Orville Brown? Anyhow, continued discussion of this should be in the HoF thread, so let's move it over there.

http://culturecrossfire.com/wrestling/wres.../?#.UnJoAhBdAr0 HAPPY HALLOWEEN!! Come relive Sting and Ric Flair clashing with The Great Muta and Terry Funk in an electrified Thunderdome cage!, Brian Pillman vs. Lex Luger!, The Road Warriors vs. The Sky Scrapers! The Steiner Bros. vs. DOOM! and much more!~!

This was always a fun PPV up until 1998. Some fun gimmicks and gimmick matches in the early years and as late as 1998 the cards were still stacked, although 1998's failed to live up to it's promise.

1991's promo video with Elvira and Sid in a lab has stuck with me to this day.

"TERROR RULES THE RING!!"

Well hell, if they're talking to Sullivan for anything, they need to bring him in for the King Curtis "chairman of the board" role for Wyatt.

EDIT: I've never heard Sullivan say this quote before: "A lot of people think wrestling is Sir Laurence Olivier doing “Hamlet,” but it’s Monty Python doing silly walks."

Didn't know Luke Perry is a wrestling fan.

Fan? He's Doink the Clown's half-brother.

Not Doink, Krusty!

Interesting to see these two mentioned together after listening to Austin's podcast today. Apparently Road Warrior Hawk saw a lot of Krusty the Clown in Borne and suggested the Doink gimmick to Vince. With the cigarette smoking, surly attitude, disheveled look, I can totally see it now and I'm surprised it took me this long to connect the two. Not sure how this would work timeframe wise unless Borne had a tryout somewhere before Summer Slam, but an interesting story regardless.

It wasn't presented as a hardline, he just seems to believe that period is pretty complete.

I'm racking my brain on guys he could be referring to. Maybe Benjamin Roller, Paul Pons or the Yohe favorite Orville Brown? Anyhow, continued discussion of this should be in the HoF thread, so let's move it over there.

I assume he means Ray Fabiani if he didn't put him in this year.

I tend to think "last" is hardline. I'm not a huge Orville Brown advocate, nor is anyone jumping out at me at the moment. But there are guys like Ray Fabiani that pop up and you go, "Oh shit... yeah, of course he should have been in for a while." There are always guys who you learn more about and become reasonable candidates.

Take for example Lou Daro, who ran Los Angeles wrestling from 1924/25 - early 1941. The Olympic opened in 1925, and was one of the larger buildings in the country running wrestling regularly. Add in the outdoor shows at Wrigley Field. The area tailed off at the tail end, but it was one of the stronger areas in the country.

We might end up looking at his run from 1925-37 was really quite strong and worth consideration.

I think there's a lot of the 10's, 20s, 30s, 40s and 50s that people still haven't fully put together into well organized thoughts / arguments. That I had to point out Fabiani is an example.

I'll take a look at that Dungeon of Doom article. I saw Beefcake at a low rent indy show at a skating rink a couple years back and he had 8x10 glossy prints of all of his various gimmicks so a kid could choose to get a Zodiac, Booty Man, The Butcher, or Disciple press shot autographed. LOL. I asked him how sore is back was having to carry David Samartino at WrestleMania but I don't think he got the joke.

I love wwe.com

http://www.wwe.com/classics/kevin-sullivan...dungeon-of-doom

Kevin Sullivan goes over the history of the Dungeon of Doom and each individual member

WWE.com has been brilliant for the best part of a year. They've unearthed some absolute gold. Assuming Joey Styles is behind this - good work!

Fair play, this was great. I too have loved some of the coverage on that classics site this past year.

I've been listening to too much rap recently though because I read it as "Wrestling's Whackest Group" for ages.

The line "That was like putting bicycle wheels on a Rolls Royce" is good, not heard that phrase before. Nice to see someone not shitting on Luger for a change.

I honestly had no idea some of these guys were in the Dungeon. Bossman I have no recollection of being there. Konnan? WTF? Braun the Leprechaun, bloody hell.

This on the Loch Ness run was really interesting:

I saw him in England and we only had him for a short time, but he drew big ratings consistently for three weeks when he was in the main event. A lot of people think wrestling is Sir Laurence Olivier doing “Hamlet,” but it’s Monty Python doing silly walks. People take it so seriously, but want to see people who are different. Loch Ness was such a big guy, he was an attraction. It was a car wreck. You couldn’t take your eyes off of him. In England, he was a huge star.

I've come to the view that wrestling has the scope to be BOTH Hamlet and silly walks.

Also this was funny:

[Zeus] was Hulk going back into the past to get lightning in a bottle again, but it didn’t work. He just did that one match at Uncensored 1996. It might have been Hulk’s idea for him to stick around longer, but Hulk saw that it didn’t work out. Too much time had gone by since the movie and his work wasn’t up to par.

lol, as if his 1989 work was any better!

Looking at that Dungeon article spotted a link to this WWE.com piece:

20 ridiculous WCW moments you may have missed

Only one offhand that I didn't remember was Brian Knobbs' exit from the company. A hardcore match on Thunder and he and Meng brawl out by the arena concession stands, Knobbs scores a bite of pizza pie, Meng tackles a randomly placed Goldberg standee, then Meng tosses Knobbs headfirst over the side of the building plummeting presumably to his death never to be seen or mentioned again on WCW programming.