Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 3

Loss

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest The Jiz

Tommy Dreamer just tweeted out that Nelson Frazier (Mabel, Viscera, Big Daddy V) has died tonight at the age of 43

RIP

Well, he lived longer than I thought... RIP

There isn't a card as almost all the lucha shows in the US don't advertise matchups just names.

Meanwhile, there's a Masked Republic show in Philly in on 4/27. "Talent set for the show are LA Park (the original La Parka as seen in WCW, ECW and MLW), Dr. Wagner Jr., Sabu, Damien 666, Bestia, El Exotico Cassandro, Negro Navarro, Pequeno Pierroth and Solar."

Getting to see Navarro vs Solar live would be pretty fantastic.

Wow, news to me. I'll intend on going.

Watched the new Shawn DVD. Some interesting backstage stuff I've never heard before.

-The curly blonde haired girl who was often shown during Shawn's matches in the early/mid 90s was his first wife! I never knew he was married before Rebecca. In the timeframe he was talking about 1991 and she is still shown on camera till around 95. Had no idea. I actually mentioned her in the "Famous fans" thread on this board years ago. Funny I can remember her cheering Ric Flair at WM 8.

-Shawn and Marty had a falling out over a cereal commercial where they would receive $5,000 total while the Road Warriors would receive $5,000 each. Shawn and Marty vowed to take a stand and walk out but Vince convinced Shawn to stay with the vague promise of a singles heel push. Shawn gave in and that caused the heat between him and Marty.

-At WM 11 Vince insisted that Nash kick out at 1 after the superkick spot in order for him to look strong. Both Shawn and Nash complained incessantly but finally agreed. They told Vince the crowd would hate it and they did. Thought they rushed his babyface turn the next night on RAW and that Vince overreacted to him getting the cheers at Mania. Didn't want to take time off after Mania either.

-Was worried that Hogan coming back at WM 9 meant bad things for the younger, unestablished guys such as himself.

-at the WM 14 DX press conference he left after getting hit with a battery by a fan. He went in his limo and took a bunch of pills and booze. Came back out to do the kissing Austin spot because he knew it would get mainstream. Vince yelled at him for taking his pants off at the event and Shawn countered with the excuse that the security was shit at the event. So until WM 14 Shawn had "secret service" like security. Was so strung out that he barely remembers anything between Rumble 98 and WM 14.

that's all I remember now. Real interesting stuff

and to add a note after watching this entire DVD and how Shawn describes Vince I'm almost 100% certain the Bryan stuff is all his doing. Being small in the WWF is like leaning over a cliff with one of your shoelaces hooked to a shrub. Always near death and you need to keep fighting Vince to stay alive

Watched the new Shawn DVD. Some interesting backstage stuff I've never heard before.

-Shawn and Marty had a falling out over a cereal commercial where they would receive $5,000 total while the Road Warriors would receive $5,000 each. Shawn and Marty vowed to take a stand and walk out but Vince convinced Shawn to stay with the vague promise of a singles heel push. Shawn gave in and that caused the heat between him and Marty.

Shawn and Marty have changed their stories over this several times. Enough that Wiki even spends far more time than usual trying to explain it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rockers#Break_up_and_beyond

It's Shawn at the center of the stories, so he's always "take it with a grain of salt" when he's Shooting.

The only Jannetty story I completely believe is Savage saving him from the cops. And that's because it makes me happy.

The Marty story I tend to believe are the ones of him drugging up women to bang, which if I recall correctly he told on his brief time on Wrestling Classics. Bix or Dylan - do you remember them? Anyway... it's not something that someone would make up, and only something that someone would say if he thought it was a cool funny story of his fun old days in the business. I recall that a slew of people were flat out appalled.

-At WM 11 Vince insisted that Nash kick out at 1 after the superkick spot in order for him to look strong. Both Shawn and Nash complained incessantly but finally agreed. They told Vince the crowd would hate it and they did. Thought they rushed his babyface turn the next night on RAW and that Vince overreacted to him getting the cheers at Mania. Didn't want to take time off after Mania either.

Uh, is he talking about the spot where he superkicks Diesel and gets a visual fall on him while the ref is out?

Did he say why he took time off after WrestleMania, or did he just say that he didn't want to do it?

The only Jannetty story I completely believe is Savage saving him from the cops. And that's because it makes me happy.

The Marty story I tend to believe are the ones of him drugging up women to bang, which if I recall correctly he told on his brief time on Wrestling Classics. Bix or Dylan - do you remember them? Anyway... it's not something that someone would make up, and only something that someone would say if he thought it was a cool funny story of his fun old days in the business. I recall that a slew of people were flat out appalled.

Drugging some college kids (two guys and a girl) on a plane and molesting the girl. Buddy Rose and Luke Williams (I think) corroborated it.

Uh, is he talking about the spot where he superkicks Diesel and gets a visual fall on him while the ref is out?

Did he say why he took time off after WrestleMania, or did he just say that he didn't want to do it?

Yes

He said the company forced him to take time off. Didn't say why. Was against it

Drugging some college kids (two guys and a girl) on a plane and molesting the girl. Buddy Rose and Luke Williams (I think) corroborated it.

That sounds right. Thought it was plane related, but wondered if I was getting it mixed up with some other drugged plan story.

Guest The Jiz

It's crazy how perception changes. It's not to say that was acceptable then, but the criminal justice system now makes that a very serious crime (as it should be). The guy must be a serious sociopath, which I suspect is an overrepresented psychological condition in the business.

Was the commercial for a WWF-themed cereal? I was hoping it would be for something like Cracklin' Oat Bran.

Any of you think Marty's story about Iron Sheik is true? The one where Iron Sheik beat up a rat that Marty knew. "Marty, she no know how to work". They weren't together in the WWF all that much (maybe '91).

I was re-watching that recently and I remembered Bret Hart talking about how Shawn doing all those flashy moves was going to turn him babyface and either he was doing it on purpose or just had no idea. Watching the match I just assumed that Shawn knew he was going babyface soon, due to how he worked the match.

​ Apparently he just doesn't understand wrestling.

I was re-watching that recently and I remembered Bret Hart talking about how Shawn doing all those flashy moves was going to turn him babyface and either he was doing it on purpose or just had no idea. Watching the match I just assumed that Shawn knew he was going babyface soon, due to how he worked the match.

I don't know if it was so much doing "flashy moves" but him wrestling from underneath and being the clear underdog. I was pretty surprised that the babyface turn was not a long term plan apparently. Part of me thinks they wanted Shawn to take time off so the crowd wouldn't clamor for a rematch against Diesel and they could ease Sid into the spot

Nash has talked about how Shawn was determined to blow him up and make it a one-man show, even down to botching taking the powerbomb at the end. He understands, he's just that much of a prick.

They did rush the face turn as when Sid punked Shawn on Raw, the crowd was loving it. It wasn't until Diesel made the save that they were like "oh, we're supposed to cheer him now?"

Not only that, but Sid went long in the segment and they had to go to commercial break when the turn actually happened. They tried to make up for it by airing it repeatedly on all the shows for weeks, but it did take something away from the moment. It didn't feel like there was any fan demand for Shawn to turn because it was so rushed. They could have gotten at least one more match out of Diesel vs Shawn and probably held off on the turn another few months as well.

Not only that, but Sid went long in the segment and they had to go to commercial break when the turn actually happened. They tried to make up for it by airing it repeatedly on all the shows for weeks, but it did take something away from the moment. It didn't feel like there was any fan demand for Shawn to turn because it was so rushed. They could have gotten at least one more match out of Diesel vs Shawn and probably held off on the turn another few months as well.

Agreed. At the time, the buzz was LT was going to do another show. Diesel/LT vs Shawn/Sid could have done good business. From there you can do the turn and bump Sid up to no. 1 heel if you're determined to get a Diesel-Sid main.

It also feels like the Diesel/Bigelow match that was on TV with Bigelow's turn could have been held off a little longer too. Shawn and Bigelow both turned at the same time basically, so two potential PPV opponents for Nash were off the table sooner than they needed to be.