Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 3

Loss

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Holy shit! Dusty back in the 70s commentating over his own Florida tag match with Murdoch against Race/Roop is maybe the greatest thing I've ever seen and heard in Rasslin!

(The clip is on the Texas episode of Legends of Wrestling.)

I find myself less interest in long epics and instead preferring a well worked 20 min match. I've only just recently realized that fact. Maybe it's a case of not wanting to spend 40 to 60 minutes on one match when there's so much that I have yet to see - and only so many viewing hours in a day. Plus, in so many cases, the match did not really need to be 45 minutes long.

Watching Starrcade 86 on the network last night, and I realized how much I miss the old JCP style cable ropes that made that snapping sound when someone was whipped into them. I have a feeling they probably sucked to work with, but it's one of the things that make me wax nostalgic since that's the wrestling I first started watching.

Watching Starrcade 86 on the network last night, and I realized how much I miss the old JCP style cable ropes that made that snapping sound when someone was whipped into them. I have a feeling they probably sucked to work with, but it's one of the things that make me wax nostalgic since that's the wrestling I first started watching.

The ropes on this MSG 1984 show I have been watching today are really floppy. It's crazy just how floppy they are.

I've been meaning to ask this -- I think he's a good worker and don't have anything against him, but is it fair to say Alberto Del Rio has never really had that much fan support? He strikes me as a guy who is always pushed well above the level fans see him, but am I missing some window of time when he was really over at the level of a Ziggler, Sheamus or even Miz?

I think if they had given him something substantial to do he probably would have gotten over more. He never had any significant angles. He was just "wealthy guy", "angry wealthy guy", or "another guy who wants the belt." He needed a Dibiase buying the belt angle to compliment his persona, or play him more like a shooter with his MMA background. There just wasn't much there for the crowd to get behind. He also seems to fall into the Orton category, where half the audience thinks he's good and the other half think his work's boring.

I've been meaning to ask this -- I think he's a good worker and don't have anything against him, but is it fair to say Alberto Del Rio has never really had that much fan support? He strikes me as a guy who is always pushed well above the level fans see him, but am I missing some window of time when he was really over at the level of a Ziggler, Sheamus or even Miz?

Del Rio losing to Edge killed his career.

Plus, his losing to Edge was the curtain jerk of that Wrestlemania...AFTER Del Rio won the FORTY (40) man Royal Rumble to get that title shot. That's just mind-boggling on a stupid scale.. I think Edge even beat him up on his own car.

So ADR wins the 40-man Royal Rumble and loses in the curtain jerk of 'Mania. But Miz retains the WWE title in the main event.

All right then.

When people look back on eras of WWE, the period of time when The Miz and Alberto Del Rio were in world title matches at Wrestlemania will surely rank as a low point.

At least Miz was an exciting talent. He definitely fizzled when he went to the top. But I loved watching him get there.

Del Rio has never remotely interested me. Yes, the Edge match may have buried his push. But damn, the guy is just a dull personality to me anyway. The only real complaint I have about his "failure" is that it may have reinforced the idea with management that new main eventers can't get over.