Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 3

Loss

Halloween Havoc, Great American Bash, Spring Stampede and Fall Brawl are ppv names that should never die. Even Uncensored would trump Extreme Rules.

Fantasy booking warning...

Here is what I would do:

January: Royal Rumble

February: Elimination Chamber

March: WrestleMania

April: Spring Stampede

May: Great American Bash

June: King of the Ring
July: Money in the Bank

August: SummerSlam

September: Fall Brawl

October: Halloween Havoc

December: Night of Champions

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

here's a quasi-fantasy booking thought for yall

what if WCW did the mortal kombat gimmick BUT:

1. in '93 instead of '96, when MK was at its peak

2. with RVD, since he was with them at that point

am i being wacky or couldn't that have gotten crazy over? RVD already had the moveset for that sort of thing and even wore a gi to the ring back then. wouldn't even need a mask either (though that would have also been fine i think), could have just cast him as Totally Not Johnny Cage

man, it's real interesting to look back on '93 WCW and see all the random indie guys who got a cup of coffee there...

EDIT: one last thought related to Robbie V - has the split-legged moonsault ever NOT looked like total crap? i don't really watch puro so i'm sure there's someone there

Just read the WON from post-Mania and it was just time constraints. There have been quite a few last minute WrestleMania cuts over the years. Now it usually just gets bumped to the pre-show if it was supposed to be on the main card.

Just read the WON from post-Mania and it was just time constraints. There have been quite a few last minute WrestleMania cuts over the years. Now it usually just gets bumped to the pre-show if it was supposed to be on the main card.

Ironically, the most recent example was last year with The Rhodes Scholar's match.

Cody tells the story on the WM Podcast that he was so upset he just sat, annoyed, at Gorilla Position the entire show, hoping that it'd turn out that the match would be back on.

I don't know if that's really all that grumpy, I kind of agree with him that there's no point in him coming back to just get stuck in the Battle Royal or something.

I DO think it's hilarious that he takes credit for Fandango being super over on the Raw after WrestleMania. His entrance music was over, that's it. They could have booked him better but it's not like he ever had a chance to be anything more than a new era Honky Tonk Man.

97-98 Paul Bearer is tremendous. The original incarnation of the character is fun in a nostalgic way now, but once he ditched the makeup and turned into a sleazy southern preacher he got to do some world-class heeling. He was hilarious, he cut great promos to frame the Taker/ Kane feud, and he bumped like a champ whenever Taker got his hands on him.

I agree. He was such a cartoon up until that point you didn't really see that heel turn coming. They did a great job of pacing his feud with Taker too. It was May when Paul Bearer started dropping hints about the secret in Taker's past that lead to them revealing he had a brother. It wasn't until October that Kane debuted and it was WrestleMania before he and Taker ever wrestled.

Yeah, and it was great how they had Bearer evolve into a more realistic/ attitude era character. I always hated Paul Bearer, the high pitched make up wearing dude. I couldn't stand it. He and Taker were the epitome of stupid cartoon era shit I had no time for back then. I dig it now, but Bearer still annoys me a bit. But when he adapted the character and stopped wearing the makeup and dying his hair, he became far more sinister even as Taker became, upon reflection, even more ridiculous with the Ministry stuff, despite it being weirdly fun. Bearer was so good during that period. And when he brought back the old fashioned version, it was pretty great. He really was one of the best ever.

I really enjoyed that final run as Paul Bearer when they just went all comic book with The Undertaker and had him lose his powers and need to be re-charged by the urn. It's too bad all the Kane/Taker matches from that feud turned out to be such a letdown from how well they booked that storyline.

I hated (and still hate) Paul Bearer but I can concur that he did some of his best work as a mouthpiece for Kane in that era. I saw the point of him initially managing Taker as a heel and being a mouthpiece for the zombie. But as soon as taker turned face in '93 I found him completely useless until the heel turn. To be fair, I'm not really high on babyface managers in general.

I hated him too at the time but hindsight being what it is I can appreciate what he accomplished.

Plus he gave us this moment.

anigif_enhanced-buzz-27351-1362547411-6.

I really, truly think that they gave Taker Bearer because he was too scary with Brother Love.

The timeline of how Percy came in was interesting. Percy credited Rick Rude for getting them interested in him and allowing him to get a foot in the door, but Rick was gone by the time Taker started. Giving him Brother Love must have been a stop-gap while they figured out his contract, if I had to guess.

For the first time, WWE has expanded its WrestleMania pre-show to two hours of programming. The first hour will simulcast across all WWE platforms, including WWE Network, WWE.com, WWE App, YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, Google+ and Pheed beginning Sunday, April 6 at 5 pm ET. During the second hour, WWE Tag Team Champions The Usos™ will defend their titles in a Fatal 4-Way match against Los Matadores™, Ryback® and Curtis Axel™ and The Real Americans™, which can be seen exclusively on WWE Network.

For the legal minded people, why does Ryback have the ® and the others don't?

They've already gotten a federal trademark for Ryback. The other names are trademarked, but maybe haven't been approved by the federal patent office. I'm surprised because I heard they had trouble registering Ryback since it was considered a surname.

I don't know what to make of this....

Someone needs to recap that David Benoit interview so I don't have to watch it. Not just because it's uncomfortable, but because the interviewer is driving me crazy.

The first interviews with him and Sandra Toffoloni being these little things on obscure sites is very very weird.

That was one strange interview. David Benoit seems almost too laid back at times. One minute he says he wants to wrestle in WWE, and the next he's mad that they haven't paid him his father's royalties and they won't let him train at NXT. I think Jericho and his father's other friends should tell the guy to just stay away from wrestling, and try to find a better path for his life.